priming for 1st start w/new gas tank required? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2002, 02:55 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post priming for 1st start w/new gas tank required?

After over a year swapping frames, my new engine is ready to fire. it's never seen gas, nor has the fuel pump or gas tank. Any special "must do's" before I crank the dog crap out of it getting gas to the carb? Holley carb has been sitting empty for the whole time, and I think the gaskets are probably dry-does that matter? Seems like I remember somebody back in the 70's saying to store the carb in a bucket of gas. but for a whole year that's kinda not gonna happen.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2002, 06:35 PM

I will tell you what has always worked for me. Get a clean clear plastic 8 or 12 oz soda bottle. Drill a hole in the cap big enough to accept the gas line that will be going into the fuel pump. Make sure the line fits tight enough in the cap so it doesn't leak. Fill bottle about 1/2 full of gas, push your gas line into the cap about 1/2 inch, push the other end onto your fuel pump. Turn the bottle upside down, so that the gas gravity feeds into the fuel pump. Let it sit there for a minute, then crank the motor. After the motor cranks about 5 seconds, start pumping the accelerator up and down, so the accelerator pump in the carb will squirt raw gas into the carb. DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS or you might burn up the starter. If it does not start on that first attempt, let the starter cool for about 5 minutes and then repeat the process. Once the car starts and runs, shut it off, take out your makeshift bottle set up off and connect the regular gas line.

You want to make sure the gas in the line and the tank is not contaminated before you do this. Hope this helps, it has always worked for me.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:10 PM

Pour a little gas down the carb vents.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:54 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Maybe not but after a year your carb may need a rebuild.If its all dryed out the needle and seat may leak not to mention the rest.When I did mine I put a trick kit(think its also called a trak pak)had a high flow needle and seat bigger accelerator pump dia.and I believe a differant power valve its been awhile.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:05 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

thanks guys, i don't have air but people tell me i suck all the time so i'll siphon it out by the fuel pump. if it runs out i'll connect it. if not, it's the ol soda bottle trick from jim weeks. shoot some oil in the plug holes, crank it 30 seconds, re-adjust my push rods, put the plugs back in and just keep my fingers crossed as far as gas leaking out of the carb. i tried to crank it last night and it wasn't gettin any juice to the starter so i might have a wire in the wrong place.-i completely rewired this truck, so hopefully i'll figure it out. it was a major woody seeing all my new l.e.d. tail lights and the rest of my light work for the first time! wooopie! tomorrows the day! i'm renewing my plates today after work. wooo hooo!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.