Priming Mistakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Priming Mistakes

I want to save some cash on my paint job, I am toying with priming my truck myself, I know the shop wont gurantee the paint if i do it my self. In ya'lls opinion, is that worth the cost. Will i save enough to matter? Also is there going to be any problems that will most definetly show up in a newbies, priming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Last photo:

The only problems that will show up are the ones caused by inferior quality components. Find out what paint brand shop is going to use your car and stick with that line of products. Follow the spec sheets to the letter.

Vince
Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

Why not do it yourself, even if you don't save money you will learn.
Most likely only drawback will be is you may have some bad areas show up that an experience painter would find and block out first.
Hell, thats how you learn, you look at a bullseye long enough and next time you will overkill the block work.
Do it! Just make sure everything is mixed like the labels say and you will be in good shape.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:32 PM

Either pay the man to do the job or do it yourself. The other option is if you've got a DIY'er friend that will shoot the paint for you. I started being a DIY'er 22 years ago becuase I figured out that even if I screwed it up 3 times I still could do it cheaper that paying a good shop. Often the money saved will pay for the tools that you don't have.
Even if you only break even on the money after mistakes and tools quality tool will be good for decades and the experience will be yours for life. Next time you won't have to buy so much stuff and just maybe you be the one with friends that do the body work and primer themselves and give you a C-note and and a case of beer to pull the trigger and shoot the top coats.

Last edited by tresi; 04-25-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Since I was forced to take economics along with my engineering degree, I have to weigh in on that basis...

Doing it yourself isn't precisely doing it for free.. Think of it like you're a business who employs yourself.. Think of the time you spend as something you're paying, how much do you value it? Could the hours you spend doing your own priming and the other subsequent prep work you'd need to ensure that the paint shop's paint job comes out right do something that would be worth more than the cost savings from the paint shop?

On the other hand, maybe doing as much of it yourself as possible is its own reward. Think of it like this then you can probably answer your own question.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I think I am going to take the economics leson from slipangle. Allthough I am just a kid and my hours are only worth 8 bucks to my boss, I have LOTS else to do in the next three months. I have to have this finished by the time i leave for college or i dont have a truck to drive. I have the money all ready taken out on a loan i took out to but all my parts and gizmos and gadgets so i think i will just use it. Plus i really hate to think i am giving my paint shop a free ticket it out on faulty paint. I would rather have peace of mind then a few bucks in my pocket. Plus on a spec sheet it will still say painting was buy so and so shop not Owner! Thanks for all the help guys I am still going to talk to the shop on wednesday look at some of his paint and make sure he is worthy to touch my truck and get his opinion on the priming thing.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipangle
Since I was forced to take economics along with my engineering degree, I have to weigh in on that basis...

Doing it yourself isn't precisely doing it for free.. Think of it like you're a business who employs yourself.. Think of the time you spend as something you're paying, how much do you value it? Could the hours you spend doing your own priming and the other subsequent prep work you'd need to ensure that the paint shop's paint job comes out right do something that would be worth more than the cost savings from the paint shop?

On the other hand, maybe doing as much of it yourself as possible is its own reward. Think of it like this then you can probably answer your own question.
==============================================
Very good point!!
My 2nd major was economics so let me run this by you-something I have learned in my old age is you never stop learning and you can never know enough areas. Most true if your an engineer!
What if he learned enough to buy a car for $2500 put another $17,000 into it, spend two years on it in his spare time and sell it for $175,000. Or buy a field junker for $300 and in one year after work with $7500 in car sell it for $63,000. Keep in mind, he is still making his $8.00 an hour at his present job, so this is gravy money.
Is this Macro or Micro econ 101?

A lot of hobbies has turned into peoples careers.
Troy did not wake up one day and own a chain of body shops.
I went the oil company route first.
Try Anything!!

Last edited by BarryK; 04-26-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:20 AM

absolutely true barry k. I dont have all the time in the world but even after all the cussin and moanin when things arent just right I walk away a lot more satisfied when I did it myself, besides sometimes it comes out right! Though I have never painted a car this is my next project and I am still in the body work stage. You also learn that nothing is as easy as it looks! I guess each person has their own decision to make. If I did have the money that available I probably would lean towards a pro but then again my last car started with 1500.00 quote and wound up at nearly 4k and having to travel with the bodyman while he changed locations. after really looking at it I agree that I coulda done the same for a lot less. nothing ventured nothing gained
NO GUTS NO GLORY. LOL
Old 04-27-2004, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Cussing and swearing!!-Part of the business.

About once a year I will get all wound-up and just need to get away-so I will call one of my friends in a body shop and find one real busy and just go work for him all week painting. Same deal
you mess up car and call the car every name in book, damn car didn;t do anything! But all is forgotten when the correction is made and the job turns out almost perfect. You got to love this business.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.