Pro Comp Heads??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yes you get what you pay for and I'm not looking for all out racing so I think these would at least be an upgrade over the 049 I have and for the price. I'm also not too much into the name brand stuff if it has good reviews and works for what I want and costs less then ill take it. I looked at the pro filer but didn't see any prices but I did email them

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Heads are an impotant part of the engine build its great your doing the research but your heads should make up 1/3 of your intial cost of your build there that important besides if your looking for a mild build or a full fledge race car engine its important to spend your money wisely,

Example most all pro comps heads bb and sb have issues with quailty as in there valve seats not cut properly to the point where the valve seats you can see daylight through them and there known to break in the rocker stud areas and the tolerances are all bad just some examples.

And its not a chineses issue with me im running a pp huricane intake and love it but in the head dept. there are some other great heads out there for the money sure it sounds tempting to lay down a few hundred bucks and have a set of heads but take the time and save a few bucks and get a quailty head.

Pro -Filers are 900 bucks from them directly and the ik brodix 8-900 is a great head aswell. good luck but personally id never touch a patriot or pro comp.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Well ill look into that but I have a bbc and the heads that your talking about I think are sbc those are 900 if I'm mistaken then my bad and please show me where your seeing those prices. Thanks for all the input. I might just go out and buy a 468 from vortec pro but we will see how much this build will cost first
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

OH yeah my bad! thought you were talking about a SB, well news flash the word budget dont usually fit in the words BB! ecs. in aluminum heads id find a good steel head and have them worked.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Ok I was going crazy trying to find the heads you were talking about. Well I do have some 049s on it now not sure what heads fast62 has sorry don't want to steal the thread but I'm sure we are both benefitting from this. What would the head work cost in a rought estimate and what should be done to them so we can get a good idea and make some calls.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

I have a set of procomps on my bbc has not been fired yet waiting for warm weather and more money. I took these to my machinist and had him take them apart ,check guides installed heigth and spring pressure he did have to shim to get correct pressure that they stated but for the money he was impressed with the quality. I did a lot of talking to people who have run these. YOU HAVE TO RUN ADJUSTABLE GUIDE PLATES ON THE BBC HEAD or your asking for trouble. skip whites engine builder is full of knowledge and a great guy to talk to on these heads I would recomend talking to him and purchasing also from them .
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Cool so how much did it all cost you in the end. Are you gonna be running a ftc or roller. I was wondering cause on skips site it say he can only set them up for ftc.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

I'm running solid lift cam . I didn't come across skip till after i had bought mine (my mistake) but have talked to his engine guy several times and he knows whats going on and they run lots of these heads I gave 980.00 shipped to my door. But in my opinion skip gives the best deal and knowledge to back it up .They buy them bare and assemble.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Possibly the concern about using a solid roller valve train, is the spring pressure needed to run a radical profile might overstress the studs/stud bosses.

Using a stud girdle is an option that will distribute the loads across a bigger area and may help the stability and longevity. More on this HERE.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Awesome info definatly gonna look at those heads how are they running with the solid cam really just looking to make some more power on my motor. Gonna rebuild the motor since I haven't used it as much looking at those heads solid cam 9:5 comp ratio pistons and the 750 holly dp it has hopefully it will come togather ok. How does that thing run on the street.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

totally agree on the roller cam thats why i shyed away and went with a flat tappet. I think these heads will work But I wouldn't go crazy with spring pressures and roller cam . I think i would pick on a better head for that.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72olds
...really just looking to make some more power on my motor. Gonna rebuild the motor since I haven't used it as much looking at those heads solid cam 9:5 comp ratio pistons and the 750 holly dp...
A 750 cfm carb will be borderline, don't be hesitant to give it some flow.

A "750" Mighty Demon is said to flow about 900 cfm, I'd be looking into one of them, a bigger Holley or maybe a Speed Demon, depending on the cam specs. The BG selection guide is HERE.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM

I would really like an 850 or bigger but it gas the 750 for now so we will see how it works and when I can upgrade.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

72olds

72 olds....... hey i have been researching pro comp patriot ect ect for endless hours.. heres what i suggest only because im building a budget motor also and $2k for heads is out of the question for me...
go to ebay and look at the heads from mr.performance...$1049... this guy has been building engines for a long time and he has a website called mrperformance.com check it out those are all cars that he built at his shop.. i talked to this guy for an hour yesterday and he is VERY knowledgeable with this stuff.. he told me that the heads do look pretty crapy but he finish machines them and then assembles them with his parts. jet flow valves comp guideplates ect.. he said he uses those pro comp heads on tons of his customers cars becasue with a litttle work their GREAT! you should call him and talk to him he's a hilarious and will answer any question you have.. im buying a head package from him today... let me know what you think
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the site ill look at it and try to give him a call sometime this week. Ill let you know and by the way is that head package you mentioned on his site ill lookw for it. Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.