Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Pro Comp HEI ok to use? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pro-comp-hei-ok-use-178359.html)

matt167 05-24-2010 01:56 PM

Pro Comp HEI ok to use?

I'v got a 350 for my hotrod, but it has no intake, oil filter adapter, water pump or distributor.. trying to put it togther as cheap as possible, bidding on an old Offy 360 manifold on Ebay that hopefully I will get for ~$50, and a Holley 600 CFM carb that needs cleaned up a little that hopefully I will get for ~$40 or so.. water pump I will get new, as I will flex plate and oil filter adaptor.... I see the pro comp distributors going for $40. are they ok to use or are they junk like the rest of the Pro Comp stuff.. I searched google and theres mixed results

T-bucket23 05-24-2010 02:00 PM

Junk, you would be better off with a junk yard HEI or one of the cheaper Summit branded ones.

techinspector1 05-24-2010 02:02 PM

Matt, if I were doing it, I would rescue an HEI from the boneyard, disassemble it, shim the shaft for 0.010" play, grease it and reassemble with a new cap and rotor. I refuse to buy parts from KNOWN bad quality suppliers. Also, if I were you, I'd abandon my quest for an Offenhauser intake. Look for a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM. I've seen them used on ebay for under a hundred bucks.

I was typing while Chet was posting, but it looks like we think alike. :thumbup:

matt167 05-24-2010 02:19 PM

I'll pick up an HEI on my next trip to the junkyard.. I bid on the Offy so I just may own it in a few days, but I can change it out at any time.. I thought about snagging a factory Iron quadrajet manifold from the junkyard, but I'v never rebuilt a Q-jet, so I'm better off with a cheap holley as I have experience with them

V8 Super Beetle 05-24-2010 02:23 PM

I bought one of the summit hei's. It works well. No issues yet.

Jr. Mechanic 05-24-2010 04:28 PM

Anyone know who manufactures the Jegs and Summit distributors? Only reason I ask this is because they look identical to the Pro Comp version on Ebay.

Edit: I'll be damned if these two distributors aren't the same, minus the cap:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40005/10002/-1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-B...item4ceecbc3f0

The wires and the distributor body are identical. The drive gear, coil, module, and everything else could be of inferior quality in the Ebay dizzy though. Skip White warrants it for life though, so that says something. I've bought from them (none of the cheap no name parts though) and they are a legit company with good quality service and I haven't had any problems.

Hippie 05-24-2010 04:43 PM

I know everyone says "junk" but I had one and it worked very well. Far better than the POS Accel stuff I had put in my stock HEI which immediately rendered it inoperable. :mad:

ericnova72 05-24-2010 04:49 PM

Have used two from Skip White without problems for two years, got them mainly because of the billet gear, we strip the module out and use the mag pick-up to trigger an MSD box, so I don't know how good the module is. I have never had a problem with anything from White's.

T-bucket23 05-24-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1
Matt, if I were doing it, I would rescue an HEI from the boneyard, disassemble it, shim the shaft for 0.010" play, grease it and reassemble with a new cap and rotor. I refuse to buy parts from KNOWN bad quality suppliers. Also, if I were you, I'd abandon my quest for an Offenhauser intake. Look for a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM. I've seen them used on ebay for under a hundred bucks.

I was typing while Chet was posting, but it looks like we think alike. :thumbup:

Great minds think alike :D

GMC boogie 05-24-2010 07:33 PM

I would not buy anything with Pro Comp wrote on it. $40 for a complete HEI distributor? Boy,you know there's some quality stuff put into the build of that thing.

Proform make a decent distributor for around $100. I have used the Summit brand for $89 with no problems.

FastOrange 05-24-2010 08:36 PM

RUN AWAY from those eBay ProComp HEI Units. I bought one and put it in my new engine, It lasted ONE start up, I thought i had carb problems cause the engine would die when i gave it gas, turns out the dizzy was not putting out a nice spark, i pulled it out to find that it would basically freewheel, no resistance at all when spinning it, Replaced it with a GM one i had and it is 100% better.

1932bantam 05-25-2010 08:42 AM

got one in my ford works perfect

Jr. Mechanic 05-25-2010 09:11 AM

The one from Skip White actually doesn't say ProComp anywhere. I'd like to know who manufactured it though, as well as the Summit and Jegs units.

my87Z 05-25-2010 10:09 AM

i can't lie i bought one from skip white a while back for my motor before i knew much about pro comp, and it didn't say pro comp on site either but it does say it on the box. mine was more like 60.00 and i have been running it on a street/strip 385 for almost a year now with no problems. even though it has worked for me, knowing what i know now about pro comp i probably wouldn't buy another

Custom10 05-25-2010 12:12 PM

I also have one of skips 50 dollar HEI's and have not had any issues with it what so ever, it was on my old 350 now a 383, works fine and seems to be well built. The box it came in was brand marked TSP or total street performance and yes made in china, claims to be a 65ooo volt coil. Anyhow so far so good.