Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Has anyone thought that maybe the people that buy PC parts aren't really affecting the economy as much as you think, mainly because if PC didn't exist, then they couldn't afford the american, more expensive products anyway. Maybe they'd just end up buying used stuff or in the case of heads, looking for a set of older stock castings, as people used to do in the old days.

Anyway, after reading the 10 pages on this post, I'd actually feel more confident in trying a set of PC heads for a BBC I have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Wow cobalt327 nice 1, I have use parts from AFR, TFS, Brodix, Dart, Holley, in the pass "o" and few GM heads.

Heads I do have now. Canfield 220cc, Wold Products 220cc.

The AFR heads cost more then all the heads I every bought. I did sale them and bought to pair of the Procomp heads 220cc cnc machine heads 58cc only thing I did was smooth out the exhaust ports on both pair and install manely valves springs I paid at that time $535.00 from Skip. I did have the heads check out buy machine shop that been building motors back in the 50s to now. They said Wow they look real good for the money very good buy.
He said the valves and spring that was install are very good to race with but I pull them out any way because other people was telling me they was junk. I found out wrong and sold them just a few days ago to another shop.

I do no about 16 people never did any work on the heads and install them right out the box they came from skip white. These are guys my age 45 to 70 years old who drag race cars, and take there cars to car shows. I just got off the phone with a few of them - Not 1 of them had any problems with the heads. 1 guy Tony just install the heads cam intake and 750cfm carb he dyno at 6200 rpm 445 hp 350 motor.

My motor is 327 30 over 750 carb 373 82 camaro with 11x32 tires on the rear
My best time is a 11:08 to 11:20 if I can get the tires to hook. I'm told now I have to run roll cage new seat and seat belt set a kill switch on the back of
the car. Man more money.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

pro comp..

hey cobalt327..
i recently bought a pro comp head package on ebay for my new 454 race motor build.. i was very pleased with how they looked when i got them , however im not a machine shop.. so i took them to the shop that is building my motor and had them look them over and tell me what they think.. the motor im building is going to be around 600hp. and i figured if the shop said not to use them i would sell them and wait awhile till i could afford high dollar heads from name brand company.. but they checked them out and said they were impressed with the quality and machine work and said they should be awesome for my motor.. so the motor is being assembled right now with the pro comp heads. so i saved my self a bunch of money and it worked out good for me... just thought i would share.... and by the way the company i bought my heads from buys them bare and does a little clean up on them and installs them with good parts.. i can give you his info if you would like..
good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

i've said this before but adjustable guideplates a must on the bbc pro comps dart sells them . also check pushrod length and i also used the head studs for what that is worth and if dome piston would recommend indexing plugs. I also had mine at the machine shop everything looked good, we did have to shim springs .090 to get them to the specs they quote.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast62
hey cobalt327..
i recently bought a pro comp head package on ebay for my new 454 race motor build.. i was very pleased with how they looked when i got them , however im not a machine shop.. so i took them to the shop that is building my motor and had them look them over and tell me what they think.. the motor im building is going to be around 600hp. and i figured if the shop said not to use them i would sell them and wait awhile till i could afford high dollar heads from name brand company.. but they checked them out and said they were impressed with the quality and machine work and said they should be awesome for my motor.. so the motor is being assembled right now with the pro comp heads. so i saved my self a bunch of money and it worked out good for me... just thought i would share.... and by the way the company i bought my heads from buys them bare and does a little clean up on them and installs them with good parts.. i can give you his info if you would like..
good luck
I'm hearing much the same thing about the heads as you have reported. It has taken a long time for these heads to live down their bad reputation they got, hopefully that's a thing of the past for those who choose to buy them.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

1932 bantam

1932 bantam...
ya i have heard about using the adjustable guideplates on them. A stud girdle is also a good thing to go with.. and ya i used the head stud kit also.. i am running a set of kieth black -25.5cc dome piston.. did you do a build with pro comp heads also?? and what were your specs if you dont mind me asking. and just curious what is the reason for indexing your plugs? is that just for the pro comps or any heads
thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

yes i went with pro comps and adjustable guide plates far as the stud girdle not anyones will fit the comps not even there own I think there is a thread one here that posted some. I'm running -41 cc with oval ports .I did have to do some massaging on the head chamber for clearance. the combustion chambers are a little different, you may not have an issue my domes are .500
indexing plugs on a big block there can be interference at high rpm. make sure the bend of the plug is at the top, I bought a set of index washers made it easy, I also went with a .090 copper head gasket, block oringed for blower, just clay it out and make sure, stock pushrods will not work! Mine will be diff. than yours because of my head gasket thickness. mine are 8.650 and 9.450 might get you close by subtracting the difference in head gasket thickness
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

okay cool well thanks for all the info.
a lot of people kept telling me to run a girdle.. but i guess i wont now.
wow thats a big dome on your piston. what is your compression ratio?.. and what kind of cam are you running . do you have a est hp.. im running solid roller cam.. i went with the rect port heads only cause i was on the border with my cam cause its pretty big. so i might lose a little bottom end from what i was told with rect. port but i think ill have plenty of power. and i have 456 gears with a 29 tall tire. i cant wait to finish it up and see what it runs in the 1/4.. but its mainly a street truck
thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

cam is solid tappet in..575 ex. 640 ,horsepower really don't no. maybe 750 not trying to get crazy you can see in my pics its in my altered pretty good ride @ 9.09 151 with my smallblk (450 hp). with a roller hope you got springs tailored for the right spring pressure and I think i would find a girdle they gottem ask on here some of these guys no there stuff! I chose not to go roller, for one procomp doesn't even offer a roller setup which bothers me on whether they can take the spring pressure . these are a cheaper head. 4.56 and a 29 tire sure you need to wind it that much I think your looking at 7500 or better on the big end. In my little car running a 3.73 -30 inch. but its light. going to run some 1/8 mile before i decide but i think i will go even higher
Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

ok ill check out the girldes.
wow you car sounds sweet! im gonna check it out. dang 750hp thats awesome. ya this build im being told should be around 600 hp i have been asking guys around here to tell me what they think after i give them all my specs.. im a young guy doing my first high performance build. i ran some small block 350's with a little cam and stuff but now that i went big block i was ready to go all out.
the heads i bought came with 700 solid roller springs that according to the numbers will work for my spring presure. however i bought matching spirngs for my cam that i still have.... i know the 456 is gotta go i think.. i have had it for about 3yrs or so and im ready for something a little less i was thinking 410 and same size tire a 29.. the slicks i have are 28x10.50x15 thats as big as i can go till i do some cutting.. im really looking for a good street gear but i want to atleast be running low 12's i hope!! what do u think?? the truck will only see the track a couple times a yr..
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

good luck on the build just do your homework the 4.10 sounds better. i think 12's is pretty easy . think I would use the springs that came with the cam and have somebody set them up that knows how to do it. take your time and check everything , and ask ask ask questions like i said there are some sharp people on here.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

ok thanks! ya im excited to get it done but im taking my time to make sure its all perfect. i also wanted to ask you i found dart adjustable guideplates on summit for $25 for 4 so about $50 for a a set of 8.. i was just wondering where you bought yours.. thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast62
ok thanks! ya im excited to get it done but im taking my time to make sure its all perfect. i also wanted to ask you i found dart adjustable guideplates on summit for $25 for 4 so about $50 for a a set of 8.. i was just wondering where you bought yours.. thanks
Make sure you run a stud girdle better to be safe with higher rpm cams I shift at 7500 rpm. I broke 2 rocker arms 2 years ago. I had about 20 track runs and maybe 700 street mile on the motor.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

I bought mine thru skip white talk to charlie a wealth of knowledge on these heads
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

I was trying to find the thread on here about the girdles that will fit pro comps but I can't find it do you know the topic name to search

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.