Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
any comments on the aluminum ones?
I had 2 crack but I did not have a girdle install motor rev up to 7500 rpm.
I had about 20 track runs before it happen. They ship me out a new set rocker arms. But all so I crack a 3 Crane rocker arms on my mapor 440 motor to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Hey do any of you guys know if the pro comp alum heads will fit a newer gen v 454. i have heard that you can do that as long as you run the gen v gasket. but you cant run a gen v head on a older motor.. if anyone knows the truth behind this let me know
thanks guys
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Mk IV heads on a Gen 5 block can be done, see the pdf below for some info on it. This info was done before the Gen 6 was reoleased, by the sounds of it- they say in part "...the Mark V is found on 7.4L engines in model years from 1991 and newer." The Gen 6 came out about '96.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MK 4 HEADS ON GEN 5 BLOCK.pdf (297.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
i have a ProComp HEI distributor as well that i got from Skip White, i am please with the performance that i get from it but i still wouldnt run the PC rods or the heads, i'm a firm believer in "you get what you paid for" i think that goes for way more than just hi-po car parts.

this is not about PC but still relivent, i had to replace the front and back rotors on my truck 02' gmc 3/4 ton 4x4, i called autozone and advanced auto they had the rotors for less than 40.00 a piece, but the GM and NAPA wanted over 110.00 a piece then i ask whether the 40.00 rotors where for a 4wd they said there was no difference in there computer, i beg to differ long story short i bought the stock GM rotors cause the part manager gave me a deal and i didn't want to buy infierior metal rotors from china

I was also a believer of the old phrase.."You get what you pay for" until I purchased a $60 HEI distributor and a $45 aluminum water pump from Skip White. I compared those items to a $350 HEI distributor from MSD and a $165 Edelbrock aluminum water pump and they are exact copies or maybe they are the same parts with the names removed, go figure. You may be paying the difference just for "Made In U.S.A." on the box. The cheap "off-shore knock offs" are working perfect after a year of use on the strip and in city traffic. The Skip White HEI distributor had "Made In China" on the box in came in!

"Don't judge a book by it's cover"

Last edited by MouseFink; 05-05-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

thanks cobalt327.. that made it easy.. because this engine im finishing up with is a 91 block and i bought those pro comp heads.... i have already asked around a long time ago and got a few answers that were yes u can and some saying its not a good idea.. but i was going to make it work some how because i started with a 78 block but it ended up being cracked. so i had to order a few parts a little different for the newer vortec motor.. but its just about done so i need to order those head gaskets in the article you sent me...
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

okay i just spoke with charlie at white performance.. he said they are carrying the head gaskets to run a mark iv head on a gen 5 or 6 block.. its called a felpro 1047.. just incase anyone else needs to know
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 PM

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:

ok i read the first 3 pages of this, and it was pretty much useless info. I don't honestly feel like reading 13 pages of he said she said.

Cobalt, was there any real results from this thread?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

china dolls.. my choice is not to support commie companies..
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

who cares where they come from as long as the product is good. "i love harleys because they are american" look under your front fender buddy. not a damn piece is american.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

There's nothing wrong with buying from a particular country. How many people buy beer from germany, or bacon from canada? To some people country of origin matters, and to some it doesn't. I usually don't care but I can respect people that do, its all about percieved value.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Anyone know what the max safe milling depth is on their heads?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
There's nothing wrong with buying from a particular country. How many people buy beer from germany, or bacon from canada? To some people country of origin matters, and to some it doesn't. I usually don't care but I can respect people that do, its all about percieved value.
I agree mostly, but you say "that do". "That do" what? Buy from china? buy from another country? buy procomp?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

More or less;
Gap, paying a lot of money for skilled indigenous workers of... where ever they come from.

Wallmart brand, inexpensive nock offs but they don't wear out fast (the clothing).

Barry and Steves, half the cost of wallmart BUT in this case you do get what you pay for because with in one week the damn pants have holes in the pockets. Shirts are lasting fine though. Apparently it is difficult to make decent jeans?

This is what i mean- who cares who makes it? Is it a good product? That is all that matters. this isn't a focus vs ford mustang, its a ford vs chevy vs kia.

If kia makes a good product (they finally do thanks to hyandai) then who the hell cares if you get the same amount as a honda civic as the kia but the kia is half the price. I will buy the kia. BTW i don't think the kia is quite up to par with the civic YET but i think in the very near future they will be. The velositer just came out and i have yet to work on one and see their build quality.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

ok you guys do that.. and when China wins the war without firen a shot.. and the chinese flag is over the white house... don't say you didn't understand what you where doing ,buy'n for JUST any country..
you also don't understand why there are no jobs either..
you're thinking that, it's ok is why, there are no jobs.. that thinking has cought up with us..
do as you please, but as long as I have a choice(that is gettting smaller and smaller) i'll support workers here..
<rant off >
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
ok you guys do that.. and when China wins the war without firen a shot.. and the chinese flag is over the white house... don't say you didn't understand what you where doing ,buy'n for JUST any country..
you also don't understand why there are no jobs either..
you're thinking that, it's ok is why, there are no jobs.. that thinking has cought up with us..
do as you please, but as long as I have a choice(that is gettting smaller and smaller) i'll support workers here..
<rant off >
First off its "firing", "buying", "caught", and you have too many "t"s in getting, pal. Second of all, you are an idiot (and not in a Greek sense as a complimentary thing), its a global economy we haven't been separate countries in competition since the 1800s. We have companies that do battle now, CEOs, and CFOs dueling it out. Our countries leaders are not your president but the guy who pays him. Not the senators but the men and women who pay them. The people with money were the ones who have always had money. Very few have come into it and made it. Usually those who have "made it"- have done so either by manipulating those with money (more or less) or those of money have made a choice to support these people to line their pockets even more.

You have NO clue what is going on in the world you are one of the many ignorant people that I am~ ever growing to despise. Go watch your fox news and think you have a clue of whats going on in this world, or your "government".

This is just the beginning;
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/veto_sopa/?source=fb

http://www.infowars.com/
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Alex+Jones

The Chinese will be taking over not because of us buying their product (btw if we pulled out of using Chinese product we would find out the hard way that they make almost everything), the take over has much more to do with (again) where the money is, they have it. Do you have a clue the size of china?

More or less in the end all I have to say to anything we have left to do is this, "turtles all the way down" if you are even remotely well read you should know the meaning behind that. I don't have time to lecture you or anyone else by that matter with my obtained knowledge over the past 13 years I have been doing business around the world.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<- This here is exactly why I re-posted in this thread hoping to dump out the garbage opinions and I would like facts as it appears that cobalt327 was attempting to achieve~ gallantly.

Can't any damned thread stay on topic and just stay factual on this forum?

blight-

Last edited by blight; 01-31-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.