Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
yes it is, and yes you can.

the difference, is wanting to..
Stop being a hypocrite and only post from an American-made computer. You can do it if you really "want to."

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:

because we all know that "wants and wishes" is it it really takes to do anything. Just close your eyes make a wish and click your heels three times.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Quote:

You can if you have DEEP pockets, or can rub your pennies together for a long time saving. Fact it , its hard to compete with slave labor, Look at solindra and green energy, you can buy panels from china for pennies on the dollar or you can pay more to a US plant that has to cover heathcare, cave to the unions, and retirement, comply with the EPA regs, and Osha breathing down your back so Yea you can see why china got so popular. Think back at when the US was king of the hill making things, we didn't worry about safety, the environment and workers rights, we just got it done, now the government has stepped in and you can't even let a fart with out some government bureaucrat sniffing it and telling you you shouldn't eat what gave you gas. get the government off our backs and we can be great again.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
... get the government off our backs and we can be great again.
Truer words have never been spoken,
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
b/s
get the NOT IN MY BACKYARD folks off our backs..
wanna fix things, start at the source
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
Where you been, Rick?

Hey, is 5A auto parts still up on SOBT in Orlando? Or how about the 'yard that was before Tupperware there in Kissimmee (Turner's, wasn't it?)- they still there? Or Couldrey's in St Cloud? I need to pick up a bunch of rebuildable Q-jet cores. For $5/ea.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

how can you find anything.
15000 post in uner 3 years..
you're not gonna find parts on e bay..
at least I'm stuck in a bed untill the doctors say otherwise
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
how can you find anything.
15000 post in uner 3 years..
you're not gonna find parts on e bay..
at least I'm stuck in a bed untill the doctors say otherwise
Every minute I'm here posting, I'm also on the clock. So you worry about getting better, not my post count...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Psychomotors

Okay, here goes. I bought a complete 406 from a friend last summer. I actually bought it for the rotating assembly. It had a set of the PC 210 heads on it and I really didn't care too much for them after reading on this and other forums about how bad they were. BUT after I took them off and checked them out, I was actually shocked by how nice the machine work and quality was. Would I have bought them outright after reading all the bad reports-NO. But after I actually got them, they actually are nice and they have approx 1500 miles on them. BTW, I have a set of Dart IE 215 and Brodix Track 1s also. I'm just saying that I have something to compare to.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

From what sources told me the old original procomp heads had issues, but now they have been corrected, infact I was told procomp uses dart casting molds using aluminum.. I'm sure the heads now are a lot better, just depends on what your willing to spend, if it was me if buy the heads bare, then put in what you want!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Coming to a dealer near you....

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/31/c...wbauto00000002
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM

I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I figured I'd share my experience with Pro Comp parts. I decided to build a 383 for a pickup I have, so I purchased a set of the 210 aluminum heads assembled & one of their stroker cranks. I gave the crank to the machine shop for them to balance and they called me to tell me one of the main journals was 300 thousandths out of round!! I contacted Pro Comp and they said they would send another crank immediately. After they sent it, they charged my card for another crank & the expedited shipping! That turned into a mess which I won't get into on here. After that & reading the horror stories, I decided not to risk it & sell off the parts. Good thing. The guy I sold the heads to put them on a sbc. About a month later, one of the valves broke off while he was driving. Sold the crank to a guy building hos own 383. After the sale, he told me his engine shop tried to warn him about using Pro Comp parts but he had already spent the $$. They put it together & ran it on the engine dyno. On the second pull on its way up to 7k, the crank broke in two towards the rear, destroying his block. Both guys called me pretty unhappy as you can imagine, but they knew these were brand new parts straight from Pro Comp. Last I knew they were going to try to get Pro Comp to reimburse them. Good Luck!! Their stuff is cheap for a reason. OH! I almost forgot! I also bought one their HEI distributors as well. When my engine guy put it on the spinner to curve it, the shaft that holds the weights snapped off!! Junk!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprx125 View Post
I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I figured I'd share my experience with Pro Comp parts. I decided to build a 383 for a pickup I have, so I purchased a set of the 210 aluminum heads assembled & one of their stroker cranks. I gave the crank to the machine shop for them to balance and they called me to tell me one of the main journals was 300 thousandths out of round!! I contacted Pro Comp and they said they would send another crank immediately. After they sent it, they charged my card for another crank & the expedited shipping! That turned into a mess which I won't get into on here. After that & reading the horror stories, I decided not to risk it & sell off the parts. Good thing. The guy I sold the heads to put them on a sbc. About a month later, one of the valves broke off while he was driving. Sold the crank to a guy building hos own 383. After the sale, he told me his engine shop tried to warn him about using Pro Comp parts but he had already spent the $$. They put it together & ran it on the engine dyno. On the second pull on its way up to 7k, the crank broke in two towards the rear, destroying his block. Both guys called me pretty unhappy as you can imagine, but they knew these were brand new parts straight from Pro Comp. Last I knew they were going to try to get Pro Comp to reimburse them. Good Luck!! Their stuff is cheap for a reason. OH! I almost forgot! I also bought one their HEI distributors as well. When my engine guy put it on the spinner to curve it, the shaft that holds the weights snapped off!! Junk!
thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with Pro Comp engine parts.

Now you know better.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Im left with a question, not directly related to Suprx125, but to the person he sold his crank to.
Why in the blue hell would you buy a chi-com crank; be warned about using it at all, and then wind the poor S.O.B. to 7 grand??? If the motors owner had half a lick of sense, he would have kept the motor in the 5krpm range and probably been happy with it for awhile. Customers never cease to amaze me.
Suprx125: Sorry for your experience, hopefully the people you sold to don't come down on you; but this is why I hate selling worn or suspect parts, especially to friends....even when Im honest, I still get flak.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Don't be too hard on the Chinese. You should make a more critical look at American companies and their business practices and take a look at their fast-buck philosophy of buy cheap and sell high.

The Chinese will make anything Americans want. If American business wants a POS, to resell at a huge profit, the Chinese will make it. If American business want a high end product, the Chinese will make it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.