Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The following is purely hypothetical.

The thought has occurred to me, that what if some of these offshore parts (PC, along wall the others) ARE being reverse engineered- from parts manufactured by American companies?

I wonder how the peanut gallery would view the 'free enterprise' sale of these parts, in THAT light.

After all, even though these knock-offs are being sold by a US-based company, they would STILL be taking profits and jobs from the domestic-based originators of that part- would they not?

So much for me not airing my socioeconomic thoughts here. My bad!
consider still that if it wasn't for our overzealous government regultion and taxation we would be closer to having a free enterprise system which could be more price competitive with off shore industry...

In a lot of aspects America isn't the capitalist country it claims to be...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3500
Hows that poll going? Over 500 views and 11 votes, enough said. You can argue with some one else. I am done with ya.
Search for "poll". Taken in order they came up (not "cherry-picked):
  • Hotrodders Christmas Art Blowout Contest 19 VOTERS/391 VIEWS- 4.8%
  • Opening a service shop. 12/455- 2.6%
  • Poll: What about a 425 nailhead? 21/649- 3.2%
  • Poll: "Wiring Harness” 327/32,895- 1%
  • Poll: a short write up of some home porting tips 6/193- 3.1%
  • Poll: Pro Comp: Junk? 14/594- 2.4%
  • Poll: Which Ignition System Do you Prefer? And Why? 113/10908- 1%
  • Poll: Vortec Intake Gasket Options Poll 2/164- 1.2%
  • Poll: Air Compressor Types- What do you have? 275/25854- 1.1%
  • Poll: 700r4 vs th350 11/286- 3.8%
  • Poll: Cold Air vs Ram Air 27/2587- 1%
Throw out the highest and lowest, average the rest = 2.8%.

So, what’s your point?? LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i think part of the reason there aren't as many votes as there could be is because like me most people just over looked the poll box, i just voted simply cause i never read the box just skipped right over it.

my true position would be: if the right R&D were done on their products and proved to be built with the quality that we expect i would certainly think about purchasing a set of their heads, rods etc.

i think that would be the view of the greatest majority of the people on here, i'm not even looking at this as an offshore product but as a company that has had some issues with QC in the past that has skewed their name and made people like my self and many of they others in the hotrodding community a bit weary of there products.

this is a stupid analogy but if you did the crime, you're gonna have to do the time and even when you get out people are still gonna see you as a convict, so you will have to go out of your way to prove that you have changed, and that you are no longer the person you used to be.

i've never been incarcerated but thought this made sense
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

rut ro

i just purchased a set of 6" procomp rods for my vega wagon drag car - bad decission? got them on ebay
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM

I guess all I was trying to say, Dont hate on these guys for selling off shore parts. they are just making a kiving like the rest of us. I dont know **** about metal or machining it. i wouldnt know the difference between a good part and a bad. What I do know about is business. The companys that manufacture in the us will never be able to compete until someone ( the government ) does something to entise them to use US labor. I do agree with it not being a free market 100%. I would still probally try a set of their heads at 695 bucks.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badvega
i just purchased a set of 6" procomp rods for my vega wagon drag car - bad decission? got them on ebay
Well, that's what we're trying to find info on from folks who've used these parts. You can google the rods, there are some reports of problems- but how many are REAL reports from actual USERS, and how many are guys just repeating what they've heard- I cannot say.

But I WILL say that if as many guys actually bought and used these rods as reported (or repeated) that they are no good- then PC has sold a crapper load of them!! lol

The other side of that, is there have been a lot of them sold on eBay. If the feedback means anything, it seems that they are OK...

Most serious rodders draw the line at Scat. Most don't even want to trust Eagle.

I know this doesn't answer your question- but it's the best I've got, at least for the moment.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Support the Home Team. Research the origin and Buy American!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 AM

Cobalt- the questions you've posed regarding heat treat, seat material deck thickness, etc are right on. I suspect the reason answers to those questions are not forthcoming from vendors or the manufacturer is they don't want you to know. If I'm going to plunk down my hard earned cash I want to know what I'm getting. I would rather make a $1200 informed purchase than a $695 shot in the dark. It's too bad there hasn't been more anecdotal evidence presented. Apparently there aren't a lot of guys out there using these heads. If I were a manufacturer that wanted to be successful I would tout the quality features of my product for all to see IF those features existed.
The poll may not be a great success but the thread HAS been entertaining. Guys, if we don't support known quality that known quality may just go away.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Not in my yard!

C-10, I recieved your comment regarding the pc rods. "Support the Home Team. Research the origin and Buy American!" Here is my reply take it how you will. Im not on this site to go back an fourth with people and there opinions on if we buy american or not I dnont really care - as long as it works. 9 out of 10 times I do buy amercian it happens to what I can afford at the time - building these cars are not cheap. So my thought on this is keep your flag in your yard and I will keep mine in my yard. And before you go spouting off, take a look inside the computer you are on and tell me how many parts in there are made in america.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
.... And before you go spouting off, take a look inside the computer you are on and tell me how many parts in there are made in america.
The problem with that theory is that there are NO superior computer products made in the USA, (at least not to my knowledge), no matter what the name on the box, they are ALL made overseas. With performance auto parts, there ARE superior, (although generally a bit more expensive), parts made here. Many/most standard auto parts are already made in other countries, (Mexico, China), but if that happens with performance parts, the R&D that the American companies do (that the Chinese copy), will die and so will the performance aftermarket. You think the Chinese are going to spend the money to do the R&D to make a superior product??? Not gonna happen my friend. IMHO, the bottom line is: If we all keep choosing to investing our money in Chinese performance parts, pretty soon, there won't be a choice.

BTW, I'd bet Skip White would/will be just as happy to sell American made parts if there were a demand, after all, he is a businessman, AND an American,

Last edited by Rickracer; 01-20-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 AM

Not my point

I completley understand what you are saying, my dad is a head engineer for and outdoor product company and is alway in china dealing with those people and there emissions standards. These people dont care at all about anything more than making a buck. My point is i am not here to discuss these topics AT ALL, its like trying to talk politics it just doent work here. Being i am on a super tight budget, buying a set of manley 6" h-beam rods for 500+$ is out of the question, especially when you got a kid on the way and your wife really doent grasp the whole race car deal AT ALL. So with that said lets keep to the subjects at hand and that is to help one another with car problems not the countrys problems or your personal issues.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

At my former job I was a cnc machinist and I ran a Okuma LC30 CNC lathe.
We had a certain hub we would get from China, since we had a plant in china. Anyways, this hub had castletops on it as we called them and it had to be double drilled. The bore could be anywhere from a half inch to 3 inches depending. The steel these hubs were made of were very much hit and miss. One hub would be so hard the carbide drill bits would go dull on both the bore drill as well as drill and tap. You had to keep a box of inserts and drills by the machine. The okuma`s insert would often break running these until I figured out the trick drill it to almost the actual size. Others were normal and worked normally, and the rest were so soft when they were being drilled it didn`t look like steel chips, it looked like dough slinging off a blender. After the soft ones were drilled, tapped and broached ready to go in the box, we knew before we shipped them they would be back to be replaced. What would happen is whatever company bought them would screw in the set screw and when they went to tighten it the threads would strip every time. I told my then supervisor why are we running these soft ones knowing they`ll be back, and he said as I thought he would, that`s what he was told to do and he didn`t make policy. Running these things were chore because when you would put them in the chuck they would distort so bad it was almost impossible to get the run out near a acceptable level of .002 or less. We had to set the chuck to it`s lowest acceptable clamping force and it was a real pain in the assets having to check the run out on every single part you ran which slowed production down to a crawl. When the company told us we no longer had to run them morale went up as we were that happy to see the blasted things go.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
One hand clapping.

Last journal entry: Baby Steps
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
In a lot of aspects America isn't the capitalist country it claims to be...
If we were, we wouldn't have public schools and children would be allowed to work in mines and factories. We wouldn't have public roads and your daily tolls to get to work might eat up most of your pay. If it were really working as advertised there would be only one car company and no performance parts company. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
I completley understand what you are saying, ....
That's all I can ask for,
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 AM

frustration

Well i completley undersatnd everyones frustration with China made products and unfortunatley this is the world we live in thus far. I dont like it no more then the next guy, and if i had known the quality of the product would be so much less that the more expensive ones i would have saved a little more money. But being that i didnt, it is what it is, in addition i have sat on this car for more than 10 years letting the guy who is building the car itself do it in his spare time which isnt that often hense the lengthy period. As well as i really didnt have a place to store it, and i was going through the tough times of life trying to get my **** together and enjoy life as it came. Now that i am more setteled with a great wife, my own business and a little boy on the way, i wanted something we could enjoy together like my father and i did. I just want to get this car running and hopefully it will be fairly fast when it is done. And maybe in the future once everything is said and done i can always upgrade parts, its not hard to pull a small block apart and put it back together - usually a good weekend project. But for now i have to be budget friendly while still achieving what i want. I think we all could agree on one thing and that is build it, build it right and build it fast - but dont break the bank.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.