Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It's a bit off topic, but your username (almost) used to be my Florida tag number, BAD VEGA ,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35hotrod
Cobalt- the questions you've posed regarding heat treat, seat material deck thickness, etc are right on. I suspect the reason answers to those questions are not forthcoming from vendors or the manufacturer is they don't want you to know.
It sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Quote:
If I'm going to plunk down my hard earned cash I want to know what I'm getting. I would rather make a $1200 informed purchase than a $695 shot in the dark.
You got that right. All I was basically asking regarding those gd heads was: What the hell are they made of? Doesn't seem too much to ask, now does it?

Quote:
It's too bad there hasn't been more anecdotal evidence presented. Apparently there aren't a lot of guys out there using these heads.
That's the conclusion I've come to, as well. Either there a boat-load of closet PC users here, or- at least on THIS forum- there just aren't that many users.

Quote:
The poll may not be a great success but the thread HAS been entertaining. Guys, if we don't support known quality that known quality may just go away.
AFA the poll goes, that was an afterthought. I really didn't expect a whole lot to be learned from it- but that said, it DOES show that IF a product can be found to be suitable by what users of that product say- there is a market for that product.

My problem remains not being able to pin anyone down on the BASIC properties of these parts...

Several have opined that I must be in the market for heads. I'm not. But being as how there are a few people who respect my opinion enough to seek it out, for their sake- and my own edification- I decided to see what I could find out.

As it stands right now, I have found out that I cannot and will not, recommend the heads, or any PC products. And NO offense to the kind poster who offered their experience w/the PC distributor, but I would still want to research them further were I to want one or recommend it in general, as his was the only mention of the distributors, IIRC.

As for those who state broadly that "they like the seller, they have zero probs w/PC parts, etc.", I will say this: You are welcome to your opinion. But in the context of this thread- it doesn't help because the individual parts and the experiences w/those parts is what's needed in order to be able to recommend them or not.

Again, thanks to all who've taken the time to read and/or respond to the thread.

Regards, Mark
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

This opinion thread has been going on for a while. I am on a very tight budget and built a 301/302 , 283 for my dragster. I used world product heads ,and P/C rocker arms. After almost 200 runs, I decided to build another eng. Looked at lots of opinions and finaly talked to a head porter. He told me the heads were good, had plenty of meat in the right places, deck, port walls ,v/c rails. I bought a set, Had to mill them a ton to get to the 55cc I needed. The rocker arm were cked by me and seem fine, so I am using them again. The heads will be run the middle of feb, so I'm still out on them. They still look good after all the milling and porting. I understand about people not wanting to buy something, that there is not a whole lot of info on. My machinest said the seats look good, as he was doing a 5 angle v/j. The valve guides needed to be loosened up just a touch. no problem. Sorry about the run on.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDDO
This opinion thread has been going on for a while. I am on a very tight budget and built a 301/302 , 283 for my dragster. I used world product heads ,and P/C rocker arms. After almost 200 runs, I decided to build another eng. Looked at lots of opinions and finaly talked to a head porter. He told me the heads were good, had plenty of meat in the right places, deck, port walls ,v/c rails. I bought a set, Had to mill them a ton to get to the 55cc I needed. The rocker arm were cked by me and seem fine, so I am using them again. The heads will be run the middle of feb, so I'm still out on them. They still look good after all the milling and porting. I understand about people not wanting to buy something, that there is not a whole lot of info on. My machinest said the seats look good, as he was doing a 5 angle v/j. The valve guides needed to be loosened up just a touch. no problem. Sorry about the run on.
Good info, pls. keep us posted and thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM

You are welcome. The only bad ,so far when the heads were installed the studs stick up quite a bit, may hit the header flange
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDDO
You are welcome. The only bad ,so far when the heads were installed the studs stick up quite a bit, may hit the header flange
You DID mill those puppies!!! lol
Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Ah but we`ve got so many different types here on hot rodders, and that`s what makes it such a unique place. We`ve got everything from real hot rodders to magazine guru`s who call themselves hot rodders.
However speaking on what I did about hit and miss from China it kinda reflects back on my beliefs. When we ran those hubs I already stated how much we hated them, it made me think if I ever bought a set of heads made in china, since I`ve always got rotten luck, I would get a set made of the crappy cast iron or aluminum that`s way too soft. Another time I remember dealing with a PP product which I wouldn`t use for nothing, was when I did a build for a friend of mine. He ordered a PP copy of the edelbrock performer vortec. What amazed me about this intake was it was three different colors and no paint was on it. One part of it was green, another part was brown, another was the plain aluminum color, kind of as if it had been made of recycled beer cans. It had "Made In China" stamped in 3 different places. The ports looked awful, as if they had been ground by a hand grinder. It was against my better judgement to use this intake, but, I tried anyway from my friends wishes. I found once you put the intake gasket on and lined it up, the gaskets water ports overhanged by a half inch. We tried I don`t know how many types of gaskets, they all had the same problem. The only way it could have been fixed was to be welded up and milled to assure flatness. Finally, I told him get a Edelbrock intake or forget it. He brought me a Edelbrock performer vortec, problem solved. Since then I`ve steered clear of china brands. I used to have a sub to Chevy High Performance magazine, when they started pushing PP products, I didn`t bother to renew it. I may pay more for a brand made here in the states, but I would rather pay more for my piece of mind rather than try to solve the problems of a piece of junk that the recycler won`t even take. I see some guys on here pushing PP intakes. Chances are they got a good one, since they are so hit and miss I`m not willing to take that chance. I never was much of a gambler.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I agree there are any number of 'types' here. But one thing that seems to hold true for all but a rare few- we do not have a lot of money to lavish on our cars.

So, to come across a good part at a good price is a real find, these days. With the price of fuel still high, and the economy and job market still floundering, the time spent behind the wheel "just for fun" is at an all time low, I'm guessing. Corners either get cut- somewhere- or the ol' hot rod will sit far more than we'd like.

So, what to do?
  • Bite the bullet and ONLY buy "American" (just be sure to do your homework- there are a LOT of US-based companies that sell offshore parts)
  • Do without that part that you want until you can save enough to buy the US made part
  • Take a chance and buy the cheapest part you can lay your hands on and hope for the best
  • Buy used from craigs or fleabay and take your chances there
  • Do some research and use parts that originate from anywhere- as long as they're proven to be suitable for the use you have for them

There isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, IMHO. We will do what each of us have decided is in our best interest.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:14 AM

Personally, I'd MUCH rather have a used Edelbrock intake than a brand new PP intake. As long as there are hot rodders, there will be some used parts floating around, and there are a few sites catering to sales of them, racing junk, drag race cars, etc.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
One hand clapping.

Last journal entry: Baby Steps
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
Personally, I'd MUCH rather have a used Edelbrock intake than a brand new PP intake. As long as there are hot rodders, there will be some used parts floating around, and there are a few sites catering to sales of them, racing junk, drag race cars, etc.
Here's my used Edelbrock intake. It isn't a whole lot better than the 'made in china' stuff. I'm also pretty sure the new stuff from Edelbrock is better quality. Right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetmaster II Port Matching.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	43350  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM

Yes, the newer stuff is better. I usually gasket match my stuff anyway.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Intakes are one thing that are readily available used and as long as they've not been f-ed w/by some farsighted drunk on a quest for "big numbers", you should be fine.

On the other hand, who's gonna buy those 'like new' aluminum rods? Or the crank that 'only has 4 passes on it' or that carb that 'worked fine when I took it off' (unless the price is for a core)?

By the time you sort through all the JUNK being sold as "good, used", you could go buy new name-brand made in the good old USA parts and be money ahead.

Yeah, there are deals out there- most of us who've been around for a little while have gotten those deals. But if you're going to deal over the 'net- you WILL eventually get burned. It's the anonymity of it- guys will lie on the net where face to face they would never chance it, IMO.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Did they do a re-design of a ton of their stuff? I just went on their website...http://www.procompelectronics.com/
That's the right ProComp? Man... they have blocks for most manufacturers now and looks like an ever expanding line.. Somebody has to be BUYING and USEING this stuff. I bought an intake for my BBC, Cyclone I think? Didn't use it because Engine Builders said runners way to large.. so I gave it away... the thing is, I don't even see it on their website?

Chinese stuff...I used the harmonic balancer that came with my Eagle stroker kit. I used my Weiland waterpump. Didn't use the cam gear drive and
e-bayed it.. My buddies weiland intake is made in China...

So far I have avoided but been tempted by ProComp stuff like their heads, rockerarms, etc. because of NEGATIVE comments from people that probably have not used their stuff... actually Influenced by the odd comment by engine builders/shop owners... It's a Catch 22 with my lack of disposable income!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
My buddies weiland intake is made in China...

So far I have avoided but been tempted by ProComp stuff like their heads, rockerarms, etc. because of NEGATIVE comments from people that probably have not used their stuff... actually Influenced by the odd comment by engine builders/shop owners... It's a Catch 22 with my lack of disposable income!
(Bold face mine)

You make two very good points, IMO.

Who has money to throw away? If ANYONE thinks that our country's fiscal woes will be solved- or even influenced a tiny bit- by what the hot rodding community buys, vis a vis Chinese or any other offshore source, IMO you're mistaken. The amount expended is just too small to even make a wiggle on the graph- MUCH too small.

Besides, the problems we're facing now were set into motion in the 40's and it will take as long to solve them (if they're EVER really 'solved') as it did for us to be in this position in the first place.

At 55, I truly believe that if I don't "get mine now", there will be no getting, period.

If this means price shopping for usable parts- from where ever they're from- then so be it.

If I were to wait around until things were all roses again (and were they EVER all rosy?) I'd be DEAD before I'd have a built 'rod to drive.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

i really wish this thread would have stayed on the original posters question & not turned into a debate over the politics of buying American made products.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.