Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unfortunately looks like more of the performance manufactures are going over seas, had seen a list compiled some where on the internet. Weiand I have seen made in china on the bottom of it. Also MSD components. And when mounting my tires on American Racing wheels the torq thrust D's, that my front rims had made in USA on however the back ones are marked with made in China.........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

I have been told that component suppliers for the BIG THREE are building stuff in China!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
I have been told that component suppliers for the BIG THREE are building stuff in China!
they have been overseas for a LONG time.

If any manufacturer has any brain at all they'll be on the next boat out of here too.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 ss monte
i really wish this thread would have stayed on the original posters question & not turned into a debate over the politics of buying American made products.
While I wholeheartedly agree w/you, 406 ss monte, it seemed like that had pretty well played out. There are only so many ways to say 'yay' or 'nay', and if there are guys who've got info on PC parts and haven't offered it up yet, I guess they're not likely to- but they are encouraged to do just that if they've an opinion!

So, whatever way the thread turns- as long as it's civil, and the Mods are OK w/it- so am I.

That said, AFA Chinese manufacturing goes, the end of THEIR 'glory days' is likely in sight, too. Along w/their new-found prosperity will come ever-increasing pressures from the rest of the civilized world to clean up their act, pollution, patent and non-licensed infringement, and counterfeiting-wise goes, IMHO.

Ten years from now- unless we're learning how to read and write Chinese - the whole deal could well be changing, yet again.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

lol, pressure from the rest of the world... hear what happened at the last copenhagen? I think the rest of the world has realized their head was up their as.

I'm all for green trees and clean water, its what I make my living doing. But when government makes restrictions and regulations that send jobs over seas, well something needs to change. Taxes are too high and regs are too strict. Every modernized country that has gone this route learned after the fact that you need a free market to make money.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I'm not talking about some altruistic tree hugger bull****, I'm saying that the industrialized countries will realize that they need to do what it takes to choke China into submission AFA their overtly 'illegal' practices goes.

China has a lot of people, and seemingly a lot of money (though ask the grunt on the street of Beijing where that money is- HE sure as **** won't know) but they can be manipulated. They are FAR from omnipotent.

Worst case scenario is we devolve back to our own dirty practices or export them to the United States of Mexico (NOT the United Mexican States). But once the fed gov gets something- taxes, laws, whatever- they're loath to ever give them back- so less taxes is a pipe dream. You MIGHT get some types of deregulation, but only under a Republican regime, IMO.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Hi there,
Not sure anyone cares, but I once assembled a Chevy 327 with pp 190 cc heads, no problems fitting, made fair power with lunati voodoo flat tapped cam, 1800-6200 rpm. close to 10 compr. this engine was dropped in a 73 Camaro with 4 speed Muncie. 3:42 rear ratio. best 1/4 run is 13.41 This combo has been daily driven since 2006 with no problems so far.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

reciprocity

If China was to stop polluting on every level it would be easier to accept the fact that they steal patents, dump goods, use slave labour, don,t buy anything but raw products, shoot students, poison the food, screw the Tibetans and produce garbage tools and parts from stolen ideas. Other than that, the cost savings are nothing in the big picture between good Hot Rod parts made in the U.S A and inferior parts made in Communist China. Get a life and check out the junk yards and used section of N.H.R.A today for decent used stuff if money is tight. For Gods' sake support homegrown industry or lose it forever.
Thanks, Clint
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

I seen a few cars in 08 running procomp stuff at Budds Creek in MD, And I talk to few on the drivers, these car was running 10s to 9s in the 1/4 mile. All was good things about the parts. So I hop on board to.

I bought 2 set - heads 58cc 210 CNC procomp heads runners with valves and springs. And had the heads was check out at Super Car Automotive in MD They could not find anything wrong with - and they said, they was well made bolt on go. I paid at the time in May of 09 $535.00 a pair. 1 set is on a 65 327/30 over motor. I'm very happy with the out put of the motor. The
motor was finish buy the end of May.

Other procomp items I bought, roller rocks arm sets 1.6 and 1.7 blue and red.
2 sets stud girdle red and blue, 2 chevy sbc water pump high flow I did pull apart and check it is high flow type, 2 of the distributors price at that time was $42.00 each, 1 timing cover, valve covers and gasket set, 2 fuel pressure regulators, 1 electric fuel pump, 1 throttle cable bracket, 3 peace pulley set, 1 harmonic damper, oil pump high flow, H beam forged rods 5.7
All items working find.

I have bought items from Jegs summit speedunlimited speedway competition products, and few others of the years and from all some items was set back I bought and have been times where they would not give my money back if the item did not work right. I did buy from skip white I will say this they have very good support the best I seen in a long time.

The procomp stuff pricing maybe cheap to some people but it works for me.
I very please with the items I have bought and the money save.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Hi there,
Not sure anyone cares, but I once assembled a Chevy 327 with pp 190 cc heads, no problems fitting, made fair power with lunati voodoo flat tapped cam, 1800-6200 rpm. close to 10 compr. this engine was dropped in a 73 Camaro with 4 speed Muncie. 3:42 rear ratio. best 1/4 run is 13.41 This combo has been daily driven since 2006 with no problems so far.
Yes I care and thanks for the input- this was what this thread was supposed to be all about- people's opinions and experience w/PC parts.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

Quality control is the Chinese' biggest problem. I know it from my job. They simply don't see a 5% failure rate as a problem. Maybe their communist way of thinking is like that, I don't know.
But because of this, a thread like this will not have much value in my opinion.
It's simply about being lucky or not.
A broken starter or leaky intake or waterpump won't destroy much, but a broken rocker arm on the other hand....
Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staleg
Quality control is the Chinese' biggest problem. I know it from my job. They simply don't see a 5% failure rate as a problem. Maybe their communist way of thinking is like that, I don't know.
But because of this, a thread like this will not have much value in my opinion.
It's simply about being lucky or not.
A broken starter or leaky intake or waterpump won't destroy much, but a broken rocker arm on the other hand....
This thread could help a lot of people if more people would stick with the parts they used from procomp or no of some 1 that used there items, And make comments from there.

I have all so used 2 procomp mini starter work find turn the motors over very fast.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Heine
If we were, we wouldn't have public schools and children would be allowed to work in mines and factories. We wouldn't have public roads and your daily tolls to get to work might eat up most of your pay. If it were really working as advertised there would be only one car company and no performance parts company. Be careful what you wish for.
Bob Heine, do I understand you correctly? Are you saying, if we were a capitalist nation we would not have public schools and children would be allowed to work in mines and factories , etc., etc.?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Those stainless pro-comp roller rockers Skip White is selling for $100.00 sure look tempting. I have herd about geometry issues but same thing I don't know if the critics had ever seen one except on a computer screen.

What would tick me off even more is finding out that components of my Chevy...oops, we already covered that one... If I found out the Made in USA stainless rocker arms I spent $380.00 on were pumped out in China or India and assembled in the good ol USA...... I believe that falls within the guidelines of "Made in USA"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
If I found out the Made in USA stainless rocker arms I spent $380.00 on were pumped out in China or India and assembled in the good ol USA...... I believe that falls within the guidelines of "Made in USA"
lol I shake my head as I laugh, but that's the case, sure enough.

I don't know what the exact requirements are- like what percentage of the assembly has to be done here to qualify as being made here- but it's all smoke and mirrors, IMO.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.