Pro Comp: Junk? - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yada Yada Yada

procomp junk? i have BBC heads have several friends with their heads
no problems..........i dont expect anyone to believe a word i am saying so i will let popular hot rodding say it for me Procomp motorsport was in the 2010 engine masters challange while they didnt win they did place very well for a bunch of crap as so many of you call it

they ran a 401 sbc all procomp parts and made a respectable 523hp and placed 26 out of 40 many of whom were world class engine builders with top shelf parts im not telling you that you should run out and buy PC parts all im saying is they cant be all bad im sure like anything there are some worth buying and some not but as far as cylinder heads i would buy another set in a heartbeat
i havent found one thing wrong with the castings (got mine bare) show me another pair of fully cnc'd BBC heads you can get for under 1000.00 for the pair not to mention i will put mine up against dart afr etc etc in flow chart comparison i think they will surprise alot of you in the way they perform

my point is this if you can get similar performance out of PC heads for half the price you would be a fool not to check them out

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Yeah? How long have you had them for? Longevity is also a marker for high quality.

Ya know what? I'll just put it to you like this.....you spend years developing a new head design. You study metallurgy and know what is best to use for the best product you can make.You invest millions in your own casting plant and machining plant. Your business grows, you hire many people, you are an important cog in the local economy.

Now some yahoo comes along with a 3-D image scanner and steals it all in a day. Pays somebody else off shore to mfg. the parts from suspect materials. Has no idea how the product is supposed to work so has no tech advice department to help people who buy his junk. He doesn't care anyway, it's not his lifeblood like it is yours. You slowly watch your business die because of this pirate and the people like him.

Yeah, it's a great scene. Go ahead, chumps. Save your three hundred bucks over the ten year life span (at least) of these hard parts. Please don't ***** when there is no development of new parts, designs, and theories. The companies that used to do those trivial things are out of business or going out of business.

That is all. Over and out.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Yeah? How long have you had them for? Longevity is also a marker for high quality.

Ya know what? I'll just put it to you like this.....you spend years developing a new head design. You study metallurgy and know what is best to use for the best product you can make.You invest millions in your own casting plant and machining plant. Your business grows, you hire many people, you are an important cog in the local economy.

Now some yahoo comes along with a 3-D image scanner and steals it all in a day. Pays somebody else off shore to mfg. the parts from suspect materials. Has no idea how the product is supposed to work so has no tech advice department to help people who buy his junk. He doesn't care anyway, it's not his lifeblood like it is yours. You slowly watch your business die because of this pirate and the people like him.

Yeah, it's a great scene. Go ahead, chumps. Save your three hundred bucks over the ten year life span (at least) of these hard parts. Please don't ***** when there is no development of new parts, designs, and theories. The companies that used to do those trivial things are out of business or going out of business.

That is all. Over and out.

You forgot to mention all the machine shops that employ all the hard working middle class folk who use to have 5-10 sets of good quality castings ahead of them at any given time to work over who now have gone under because you can buy that crap from PC for the same money or less. The discussion should not be " If they are any good or not " but " is it right to buy from them, and if we do at what cost is it to our own country ? " My machinist told me that was his bread and butter ( rebuilding heads ) and now he is lucky to do a few a week. Thus causing him to raise his prices on all his other machine work to stay alive. Can't wait till war- mart sells heads so we can bicker over how good THEY are.

Every time I read this post it gets me all worked up. sorry for the rant. I could go on and on but will spare you. and for those of you who have been following this thread, yes, I am guilty of picking up a few small items from PC and am ashamed of it. Yes it was all junk and no, I won't ever do it again. I would rather walk than run that stuff in my car.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Hi guys, I had good time this summer motor ran strong no problems with the heads I have the Procomp 210 58cc on a little 327. It's hard times for a lot of people I'm a contractor I had to rethink my company lower my pricing to keep working. I even starting cutting some of my customer grass. You do what you have to. Like a lot of my friends I no they love the cams hitting burning tires -
people are doing what they have to do keep building there cars and motors if the big names don't come down off there very high pricing they are going to keep losing to a market that wide open to companies that can walk right in - Procomp and another company wysco http://www.wysco.com/autoparts/distributor.asp
Man there's a lot of people use there items at some of the local race tracks.

I going to Budds Creek in MD world cup finals import vs domestic
I will try to see if a pole can be taken how many people using anything procomp.

Last edited by jag327; 11-01-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add 1 more line
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag327
Hi guys, I had good time this summer motor ran strong no problems with the heads I have the Procomp 210 58cc on a little 327. It's hard times for a lot of people I'm a contractor I had to rethink my company lower my pricing to keep working. I even starting cutting some of my customer grass. You do what you have to. Like a lot of my friends I no they love the cams hitting burning tires -
people are doing what they have to do keep building there cars and motors if the big names don't come down off there very high pricing they are going to keep losing to a market that wide open to companies that can walk right in - Procomp and another company wysco http://www.wysco.com/autoparts/distributor.asp
Man there's a lot of people use there items at some of the local race tracks.

I going to Budds Creek in MD world cup finals import vs domestic
I will try to see if a pole can be taken how many people using anything procomp.
I forgot to post this info, there was about 72% of the cars running some kind of procomp parts.

Up date no problems with the heads motor running strong been high reving the motor. My heads are 58cc witch is now 54cc 210 runners manely valves spring and push rods valves seals, procomp stud brace and steel roller rocker arms 1.6, ARP 7"1/6, studs. My best time in the 1/4 mile is 11:08 trip speed 123 miles in hour car 82 camaro with 1965 327 30 over sbc.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I forgot to post this info, there was about 72% of the cars running some kind of procomp parts.

Up date no problems with the heads motor running strong been high reving the motor. My heads are 58cc witch is now 54cc 210 runners manely valves spring and push rods valves seals, procomp stud brace and steel roller rocker arms 1.6, ARP 7"1/6, studs. My best time in the 1/4 mile is 11:08 trip speed 123 miles in hour car 82 camaro with 1965 327 30 over sbc.
Sounds (and looks) like a good engine you built, there Jag.

One question for you, though- why the tiny alternator pulley? That sucker must be turning some kind of RPM at the shifts!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Sounds (and looks) like a good engine you built, there Jag.

One question for you, though- why the tiny alternator pulley? That sucker must be turning some kind of RPM at the shifts!
thanks for the comment, I bought 2 sets of procomp heads - I had a set of the AFR heads 195cc heads about 2.5 years ago they cost $2300.00 money was starting to come a little slow I sold them and bought 2 sets of the pc cnc 58cc heads I paid for each set $535.00 with valves and springs but pull eveything out but found out later the valves springs was good stuff I still have them. I got beat up on about use the heads from a few people few years ago, but the had some good running cars getting good times with the heads. My little motor come's in at around 3500 rpm but around 6600 rpms very strong pull pass 7000 rpm this I never had in any other pull like this before. So lift it the way it is.

Man you good eye to spot it, the alternator don't kick in until 800 rpm just wonted to make sure the motor was not running off the battery at idle.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Junk

I bought a set of pro comp sbc roller rockers and the needle bearing retainer fell apart there for needle bearings everywhere in head and who knows where else but any ways it snap the stud after getting in a bind and some where along the line it pop ed off the valve retainer causing a dropped valve!! Ya! I say FU*% pro comp!! saving $90 on some temporary rockers cost me hundreds in a near fatal engine malfunction. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Probably Not

There would have to be more than a ton of good news for me to buy pc parts. I have been looking for a set of bbc heads for a long time. One of these days, I will find a pair. If I see PC on the heads, I have to walk away. Just what I believe in. Maybe, being anti-comi has something to do with my decision.

Last edited by nthogdog; 04-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Some people buy what the can ford and can't pay the big money for some of so call name brand items. The 2 set of heads I bought 1 set went on a 350 chevy S10 witch been on the motor for 2 years I sold the S10 last year it's running low 10s with 390 rear gear. I no a lot of the bad about some of PC parts most items was not install right. I no people that had the heads on there cars far back in 2002 witch they still have them install. I guy has 9:12 sec 350 40 over motor - all motor. If the US campanies would come down on some of there pricing some of there low end heads maybe more would have been sold. PC filled in the gap for some buyers. I paid $2300.00 AFR heads sold them bought to pair to finish up 2 motors. The little 327 has 523 hp at 6600 rpm dyno 2 years ago. The car best times was 11:08 to 11:20 if the tires hook with 373 rear. All parts no matter what brand name can be hit or miss I been through it to. Pops use to back in 50s 60s some in the 70s I been through a lot hot rods drag cars most 2 to 4 every 2 to 3 years and sold them. I have had problems with name brand items 4 I would never buy again from there service sucks. I have used 7 pc starters 2 went bad with in a year but PC sent me out 2 more the other 4 is from 1 to 6 years old. The roller rocker arms all I used is there steel 1's never had anything go wrong 5 sets over 4 years. Just like with anything you buy now days from any company it's hit or miss if something go wrong you hope they do right buy you. "O" 2 there have alot of people putting PC stuff down to that don't even have there items install on there motors a lot of here say to. PC the company did good buy me if some off or bad I can't ask for anything better than that.

Last edited by jag327; 04-24-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

To each his own. If anybody can't understand why they shouldn't buy ProComp stuff, I can't explain it to them. It's pennies a day over the life of a manifold or heads between the cheap Pro Comp stuff vs. the good made in the U.S.A. good stuff. If you can't afford it, get a better job and support American jobs while driving your American muscle cars on American streets in American town and cities.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Some people buy what the can ford and can't pay the big money for some of so call name brand items. The 2 set of heads I bought 1 set went on a 350 chevy S10 witch been on the motor for 2 years I sold the S10 last year it's running low 10s with 390 rear gear. I no a lot of the bad about some of PC parts most items was not install right. I no people that had the heads on there cars far back in 2002 witch they still have them install. I guy has 9:12 sec 350 40 over motor - all motor. If the US campanies would come down on some of there pricing some of there low end heads maybe more would have been sold. PC filled in the gap for some buyers. I paid $2300.00 AFR heads sold them bought to pair to finish up 2 motors. The little 327 has 523 hp at 6600 rpm dyno 2 years ago. The car best times was 11:08 to 11:20 if the tires hook with 373 rear. All parts no matter what brand name can be hit or miss I been through it to. Pops use to back in 50s 60s some in the 70s I been through a lot hot rods drag cars most 2 to 4 every 2 to 3 years and sold them. I have had problems with name brand items 4 I would never buy again from there service sucks. I have used 7 pc starters 2 went bad with in a year but PC sent me out 2 more the other 4 is from 1 to 6 years old. The roller rocker arms all I used is there steel 1's never had anything go wrong 5 sets over 4 years. Just like with anything you buy now days from any company it's hit or miss if something go wrong you hope they do right buy you. "O" 2 there have alot of people putting PC stuff down to that don't even have there items install on there motors a lot of here say to. PC the company did good buy me if some off or bad I can't ask for anything better than that.
MAN,did we drop grammar class in high school!?!?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave
MAN,did we drop grammar class in high school!?!?
I'm typing with 1 hand 1 finger. It could not change anything but I think you got what I was saying...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Just fired my 427 bbc to break in cam, procomp oval ports. I do believe alot of the problem is they just bolt them on and expect them to be a stock replacement. I had mine checked and talked to the people who dyno hundreds of these heads and told me what to do. adjustable guide plates, pushrod length really just the stuff you suppose to do anyway. Im installing blower and injection on it now trying to get ready for a test run. will post on outcome and hopefully a video
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
To each his own. If anybody can't understand why they shouldn't buy ProComp stuff, I can't explain it to them. It's pennies a day over the life of a manifold or heads between the cheap Pro Comp stuff vs. the good made in the U.S.A. good stuff. If you can't afford it, get a better job and support American jobs while driving your American muscle cars on American streets in American town and cities.
Most people just don't have the money you may have to buy US name brand parts all the time, - but a lot of the parts are made over seas and US labels are install on them to. How many items in your home and around the house are made over seas. Good paying - Jobs are hard to come buy for some people. Like I side if some of the so call US companies would lowered there pricing some to compete with PC maybe people would be buying more heads from US companies. And some of the machine shops around the MD, VA, location are using the PC heads now to, they are finding with some porting you can make very good power out of them.

What I'm trying to get across there are good and bad with all companies making hp parts.

If you check thirdgen.org look up AFR heads, there been a few people having oiling problems with some of there heads.

I have small company for 27 years now - I had to regroup and lower my pricing to stay in the game.
There's a lot of hot rodders clubs I'm in just about every 1 is complaining about the US pricing on heads manifold transmission and what cost to rebuilding cars.

I'm seeing now a lot of PC intake single plain on a lot of cars at Budds Creek Race Way in MD.
The intakes I'm using is - Edelbrock cost $349.00, Holley cost $334.00, Motown cost $335.00, the PC intake I'm ordering this weekend cost $115.00 to come pair it to my Motown intake.

Last edited by jag327; 04-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.