Pro Comp: Junk? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Are Pro Comp parts worth buying?
Yes, the price is too good to pass up. 21 21.00%
No, Pro Comp parts are off shore junk. 30 30.00%
Only if they have good reviews. 51 51.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Pro Comp: Junk?

A recent THREAD raised the question as to what the quality of Pro Comp actually is. The post was actually started to ask about an engine package sold by an internet seller, who uses PC parts in their engines.

This thread is not to ask about that seller.

It IS to outline the various PC parts as to their quality and suitability for use in an engine build.

The following quote was from a different THREAD, "Anyone use Procomp Shaft Mounted Rockers":
Quote:
I wouldn't buy them. You usually get what you pay for. Pro Comp has a reputation of cheap parts and quality around here. I use Crane Roller Rockers.
Before deciding to start a new thread on this subject, the following was going to be my response:

That would seem to be the case AFA the shaft-mounted rockers goes.

But I do believe Pro Comp parts should be looked at on a case by case basis.

While some of the PC parts are obviously poorly manufactured, possibly even reverse engineered from better quality parts (I do not have any evidence of this- but common sense would indicate to me that's the case- at least some of the time), some PC parts seem to be better than might be expected considering the price and Pro Comp's overall bad rep.

My BIGGEST concern w/PC parts in general, is whether the materials and manufacturing processes- like the metal specs (aluminum type like A-356 for heads), heat treating, +/- tolerances, QC in general- are up to the levels that should be expected in parts that are critical to the performance and reliability/durability of an engine that the builder has lavished a lot of hours and dollars on.

In the case of the 210cc PC 23 degree SBC aluminum heads, I'm currently trying to see what is known or what can be found AFA those very traits mentioned above. So far I've not heard anything back from Skip White on these questions- but in all fairness I've only been asking him about the heads since 12-29-09, post #21.

It will be on this forum that the answers will come- if any are coming.

But considering the volume of sales- which apparently is very good- I see no real reason for anyone to answer my questions if they can't be answered in the affirmative. In that case I will simply take no answer as confirmation that the heads do not have a T6 heat treat and have run of the mill guides and seats- which I already suspect that they have anyway, considering the low price.

After all, even w/dime-a-day pay scales in China, corners have to be cut to sell assembled aluminum heads for $649. And it's not like ductile steel seats and bronze guides are a deal killer anyway. Other heads use these and are not shunned like the PC heads are. But I would like confirmation that the heads AT LEAST do have these- not something even less desirable.
END

So, does anyone have an opinion or first hand experience- GOOD OR BAD- about Pro Comp parts
BTW, the poll is multiple choice.

Advertisement

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-17-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a Procomp HEI I got off of E-bay. Fit and finish were very good and it's been very reliable. That said, I don't think I would mess with their other products just from the horror stories I've heard.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i have a ProComp HEI distributor as well that i got from Skip White, i am please with the performance that i get from it but i still wouldnt run the PC rods or the heads, i'm a firm believer in "you get what you paid for" i think that goes for way more than just hi-po car parts.

this is not about PC but still relivent, i had to replace the front and back rotors on my truck 02' gmc 3/4 ton 4x4, i called autozone and advanced auto they had the rotors for less than 40.00 a piece, but the GM and NAPA wanted over 110.00 a piece then i ask whether the 40.00 rotors where for a 4wd they said there was no difference in there computer, i beg to differ long story short i bought the stock GM rotors cause the part manager gave me a deal and i didn't want to buy infierior metal rotors from china
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

I have a ProComp aluminum water pump. No need to know who I bought it from. We'll skip that.....

It's supposed to be high volume, but I noticed the water pump ports to the block are smaller than a stock pump, so I think the high volume is bunk.

They should call it a high performance pump if only for the fact it weighs less than the stock iron pump.

My jalopy is a year away from the road.

Last edited by Old Rotor Flap; 01-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Flap
No need to know who I bought it from. We'll skip that...
lol. It's a matter of black or 'white'.

That's curious why the ports would be smaller, but I suppose if the impeller were designed right, you could still have more volume. If so, the pressure would also be higher but I don't know if that would have a bearing on the performance of the pump or not. It might take more HP to run it, though.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

in the last year i've heard nothing but good about their cylinder heads, how well their machined, & how well they fit. the only think i've heard bad about their heads was on a big block mopar head. the supplied springs are supposed to be for a solid roller cam & when they checked the springs they was a little weaker than advertised. but that is one bad post out of a heck of a bunch. a bunch of mopar guys are going to them.

i was told by a guy that he sent procomp a set of hughes offset rockers for the edelbrock victor bb mopar heads to copy, & they made them after the hughes set. people seem to have a good review on them? i guess the should, hughes did all the R&D work.

i haven't heard anything on their cranks, or rods.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:36 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

[QUOTE=cobalt327]lol. It's a matter of black or 'white'.
QUOTE]

thats funny.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Cobalt,

Heres an idea. Why dont you buy a set, look them over, measure etc. Take them to a machinist or whatever. If they pass all of that, put them on a shortblock, have the engine dynoed, run it thru a series of tests. Then you could post the results on this thread. I am not quite sure your motive behind all of this. I think what you need is your own evaluation. For 649.00, you could have all your answers. Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3500
Cobalt,

Heres an idea. Why dont you buy a set, look them over, measure etc. Take them to a machinist or whatever. If they pass all of that, put them on a shortblock, have the engine dynoed, run it thru a series of tests. Then you could post the results on this thread. I am not quite sure your motive behind all of this. I think what you need is your own evaluation. For 649.00, you could have all your answers. Just a thought.
I second that idea. If you are looking for answers then invest YOUR money.
The last person on this earth that Skip White need to justify himself to is you Cobalt.
This is purely a calculated attack aimed at someone that runs a successful business. I have never bought any Pro Comp products from Skip or anyone else. The reality is you buy what you can afford or what you want from who you want.
Even the poll questions are skewed.

I say throw this thread in the trash.

Moderators it's time to step up and do your job.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Regal, you may wish to revisit your post.

I see no need to censure these thoughts and opinions and eperiences.

One thing the descibed tests would not determine is the service life of the heads. Will they last? I think that's a "time will tell" issue that can't be adequately concluded from a few dyno pulls.

By the way, how thick are the decks on the ProComp heads? I know what they are on the Edelbrocks on my wish list.

Advertising is all too often designed to express things in the least useable terms so that informed decisions are difficult. Purchase decicions are often made based on who has the most eloquent and articulate spokesman delivering the prepared message....... kinda like reading off a teleprompter.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t see where Cobalt attacked anybody. Looks like you have a sponsor Skip.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3500
Heres an idea.
Idea? Here's another one- reread the post HERE post #63.

My motives, while seemingly deep, mysterious and cloaked w/innuendo to YOU, are CLEARLY spelled out there, as well as here.

As for YOU rb, weren't you just relieved of your privileges VERY recently? For uncalled for remarks to one of our respected members, HERE, post #37?

I'm thinking it was, and for good reason. Don't let your mouth outrun your 'brain'... again!

BTW, did you not notice this, above, post #1:

"The post was actually started to ask about an engine package sold by an internet seller, who uses PC parts in their engines.

This thread is not to ask about that seller."

Your comprehension seems to be a bit *ahem* clouded.

EDIT- I had optioned this poll to be transparent- that is, the votes and who made them would be visible to all.

Before I voted, the results WERE visible, but after voting I do not see the same breakdown of votes and voters. I don’t know if it’s because I voted, that this is now hidden, or the mods changed it, or if that’s the way the forum default setting is- but if you COULD (or can) see MY vote, you would see clearly that I voted “Only if they have good reviews.” Clearly NOT what a Skip White OR a PC ‘basher’ would vote.

rb, having your head up Skip White's *** is puzzling. I respect guys who have said they’ve bought his parts and that they were fine, or not fine- whatever their experience actually was. But for you to come here and defend him when you have never even dealt w/the guy is kind of creepy.

As to the poll questions being skewed- how in hell do you figure having two choices FOR and just one against, is skewed?

AFA "Moderators it's time to step up and do your job.", that's funny coming from you- in an ironic sort of way.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-18-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 AM

"My only reservation is that some will read Skip's partial endorsement of off-shore/Chinese manufactured parts as a big green light to go ahead and buy anything that comes along- regardless of the point of origin- while humming a mantra of "it's all good"."
Quote:
The fact is- IMO- SOME of the parts and pieces coming from 'elsewhere' are OK, but MANY of the parts are just hastily made, reverse-engineered pieces of **** that are bought for a pittance and sold for a pittance and a half by unscrupulous importers who could give two ****s whether or not the parts are fit for the app or not. THEY (the importers) will be gone before you can say boo, along w/your hard-earned coin- having morphed into yet another LLC w/a new name, etc.

The bottom line is- for me- to use due diligence in any expenditure that you make that involves off-shore or non-mainstream importers. This includes ALL the Chinese imports, as well as parts coming in from anywhere else. This is your best weapon against being taken.

If a deal seems too good to be true, it very likely IS too good to be true.

Cobalt you are missing my point. You are being argumentive, and thats really all you are doing. The poll is really misleading at best. This argument will go on until the day comes that we manufacture everything here in the US. The problem is that we cant. Maybe the day will come when uncle sam will either tax the **** out of companys manufacturing offshore, maybe there should be a tax break for manufacturing in the USA. I have a good friend that owns a very large machine shop, and he *****es all the time, but I know him, if he could profit from selling offshore parts he would. We as a country are a victim of our own stupidity. How many kids coming out of high school want to be a machinist, constuction worker, or a mechanic etc. Its called supply and demand. Our labor force is aging and as that happens there will be less and more expensive. Before long I may be able to get a job making 200k a year because no one wants it.

This country is going thru a very tuff economical time right now. I am a business owner and I know it is a struggle on a daily basis. Whats funny is that some members can see thru your well typed out plot here. We would all love to have a blank check to go shopping for the parts we like, but thats not reality. How can you even compair what White Performance is selling against others. His 383 stage 2 sells for 3995.00 intake to oil pan. The GMPP ZZ383 is 5609.95 thru summit. I also do believe you get what you pay for. There is most definatly a market for his products. When a man tells me something I believe it. If Skip White says the engine makes that kind of power, I would believe it. Now that being said, if it didnt well I might just drive to Tenn. and shove it where the sun dont shine. I really dont think that would happen, but if it did then at the very least, I ould have a leg to stand on when I bad mouthed his products. At 4K, thats maybe half of what I have in mine going with a local builder, then taking it back. I think this motor is a great deal, and I also think your are paying for what you get.

Last edited by V3500; 01-19-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

FWIW Cobalt is a poster that I get along with great at times and at other times would love to come to fists with, BUT I feel that this thread is in no way biased. Which actually suprises me because there are many people that are biased against Pro Copm because they are off shore.

I also feel that i would buy a product depending on what i could findout about the quality. I don't care if its made in Germany, Florida, or China, quality is quality.

Pro Comp has a sketchy is best track record and most of their parts are known for very poor quality. It stands to reason that all of their parts are therefore suspect. Cobalt has asked questions that could actaully BENNEFIT Pro Comp's reputation if they can be shown to be a quality head. Thus far no one has shown that to be the case.

If PC can get their act together and build a reputation for providing quality parts then more power to them. I don't fault a manufacturer for going over seas, if I was in there position I'd be on the first boat out of here too. As I see it they have a LONG way to go to prove their quality and anyone whom assumes the best from them when the current evidence demonstrates otherwise is IMO a gullible idoit and deserves to have his money taken.

Another point is that when it comes to a lot of these parts getting something at a lower cost which you may think is "good enough" many times to not be good enough and instead of needing to replace a single part it can cost you the majority if not entirity of an engine (a dropped valve seat can cost you a block, piston, etc). Nothing like saving $100 in day one which will cost you $1500 on week two...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I don`t see where Cobalt attacked anybody. Looks like you have a sponsor Skip.
My point plain and simple is if you want the specs on Pro Comp heads then go out and buy a pair and do your own testing.
The sellers of these products does not need to prove their products to anyone. Clearly this has been discussed at nauseum on this forum and it would best serve everyone to just leave it alone and let the laws of buyer beware do their thing.

Peace Out!!!!

Last edited by Regal Beagle; 01-18-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Sportmanship

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.