Pro-Spray Paint System - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pro-Spray Paint System

I've been lurking here for a few weeks. It's the best place I've found for well thought out responses on body and paint work, and I thank you for the resource. I've been searching the archives, and have previously done some homework on paint systems and processes, and I have a question.

I'm working on making Ike, my 1955 Chevy 6400, a decent driver and a truck that could be used on the parade route. He'll largely be used for display at my wife's garden center, but he'll haul tons (literally) of pumpkins and produce a handfull of times per year, and will probably be used to pick up gravel and/or mulch a few times over his life. Here's Ike:

Yeah, I've got some work to do. The main body work won't begin until spring, but I'm trying to figure out the appropriate coverage and product line to use. I called a local jobber, as I like to keep my money local if I can, and I understand what it's like trying to make a small business go. I've read all the good things about SPI here. How their epoxy primer is fantastic. How their clear is the best. I haven't seen much on their colors.

However, when talking to the local supplier about options (I was thinking about HOK originally), he recommended that I might want to consider doing this job using nothing but Pro-Spray products, and that would give me a quality job at about half the price of HOK. So, here's my question: is the SPI stuff that much better than Pro-Spray products such that I should buy the SPI epoxy primer and clear, or are they comparable enough that I can feel good about supporting a local business while not cheating myself out of a better product for the price point.

I should be clear on this part: my wife would like to have a nice, shiny green, maybe metal flake green paint job in the same color range(ish) as what is shown here. We want durability, and it should look nice, but I do not come to this party with any delusions that this will ever be a show quality vehicle. I've painted a fair number of implements with Valspar implement paints and lots of furniture with acrylic enamels and my trusty HF guns. I'll probably talk myself into getting an Iwata LPH 400 for this job.

Have I rambled on enough to give you an impression of what I'm after? Why don't I just ask: So whadya all think of Pro-Spray over SPI?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i use prospray colors and everything else is spi .
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, shine. I saw that you used prospray products, which lent some credence to the jobber's recommendation. I take it that their primers and clears aren't as good.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Official Solventologist

Prospray is a nice system for sure. If I was doing much repair work anymore I would use it but I do mostly custom work now. If you like the kustom colors like the HOK colors I would recommend these guys: Custom Auto Paint. They have the same type colors as HOK and the cost is even less than Prospray. Their primers and clear are nice also. I find the quality to be very nice. Some Chameleon or Candy Paint would draw some nice attention to you business
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

Wow that Custom Auto Paint product is insanely cheap. A complete gallon of base and clear including activators/reducers for 159?

I just bought two quarts of Chomabase basecoat for a green Honda from my local jobber and they hit me up for 180 bucks. Am I getting screwed?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

ProSpray is a top line base and will be in the same quality as, Spies, Nexta, Debeers, Glasuite and Global but the nice part is its priced about 40% less then DBC.
Its a base rich in resin, so if you add, say an ounce of activater to a mixed quart of any clear coat activate, you end up with one strong basecoat.
\

Next best buy that is really coming on strong, as only been in US for maybe 3-5 years is the Metalux made by Chem spec.
This base is rich in polyester and would be just like BASF's Diamont, very good metallic control because of the polyester and is a hotter system and fast dry like the Diamont.

Nice part about both of these systems is you save a ton of money with out buying a lower grade base.

Last edited by BarryK; 10-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPadula
Wow that Custom Auto Paint product is insanely cheap. A complete gallon of base and clear including activators/reducers for 159?

I just bought two quarts of Chomabase basecoat for a green Honda from my local jobber and they hit me up for 180 bucks. Am I getting screwed?

no your not,Chromabase and Deltron(PPG)are priced closely.

you are buying a good solid base,not some cheap base.

some will argue that the cheaper bases will work ,been there done that and that's a poor statement

i only use Deltron in my collision shop.

i have never used pro spray? kinda got my interest.might try some of there bases if i can figure out how to get some,lol!!!!!!!!

best of luck on the project,Travis
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i prefer spi. i use prospray for all my colors. not interested in cheap internet companies.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i prefer spi. i use prospray for all my colors. not interested in cheap internet companies.

Shine i to prefer SPI for primers and clears.

i would really like to try some Pro spray base.

are the bases good stuff?

you happen to know where i can get some?i think i read someone on the boards sells it?

i live in the mountains and don't know of any jobbers close?closest PPG-Dupont jobber i have is 2 hours 1 way,lol!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Hotbo,
Here is a jobber in Michigan and he has shipped 100's+++++ of gallons to people for me over last two years.
He also has a Restoration/street rod shop as well as a paint store, so he knows his stuff.

Chad
269-426-6000
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

I've used pro spray base a couple of times now (have not used any of thier other products), and really like it. Much better then any other base I've used thats in the same price ball park-limco, omni-junk, utech used once and didn't seem too bad.
No one local carries pro spray (which could be a problem with color if trying to color match, but so far match has been pretty good). Its worth it for me to order it, has run 1/2 the cost on codes I've checked at my local jobber in ppg dbc. Luckily Chad who I have ordered it from carries prospray and spi, so I can order all one place.

I too have been using spi products for just about everything else, and pro spray for color. The best bang for the buck combo I've found yet where your not sacrificing quality, or creating more work for yourself. Spi does seem like it has a small learning curve though when you try a product you haven't used before.

Too bad I have no one local carrying either, but then if they were as big as ppg, dupont, ect might be getting it in the backside, like the big boys have been doing for many years now with thier product cost.

Like you, I found out about both these products thru this and other forums awhile back, and gave them a shot.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Hotbo,
Here is a jobber in Michigan and he has shipped 100's+++++ of gallons to people for me over last two years.
He also has a Restoration/street rod shop as well as a paint store, so he knows his stuff.

Chad
269-426-6000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************269-426-6000******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

thanks Barry,i have alot of money tied up in my colormatching system from PPG deltron.

but for all overs or some other styles of collison repairs im ready to try something different and get good quality all in the same bag.

im damn sick of PPGs base prices and i get a good discount,doesn't make sense
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM

It has been a while since I have logged in here, I couldn't find my old user name and I also have a new email. So i just decided to start fresh..

If any of you guys have any color questions. Drop me a email.
autorodtechnologies@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 AM

does tom still run pro-spray that guy is a di-k
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Not sure if he is still with them or not, i purchase through the warehouse, not pro-spray direct.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.