Pro Topline 350 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 06:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pro Topline 350 heads

Has anyone used the pro-topline heads? How do they compare to the vortec heads? I am trying to decide which ones to buy for a 383 stroker, and both are supposed to be respectable heads, but since both are fairly cheap, which would give me the best bang for the buck?

I also know that I will need a new intake with the vortecs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

They are apples and oranges to Vortecs. If you want a powerful street head get the Vortecs. If you want a powerful strip head get the Pro Toplines. I would buy the Pro Toplines.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

The Pro-Topline heads are far superior to the Vortec, the Vortec has a history of cracking thru the center bolt holes, lite castings, small valves,and restricted valve lifts. Plus you have to have a special manifold. The Pro-Topline is a heavy casting, very meaty deck surface, cut for large valves, high lifts and out flow the vortecs. you don't have to cut the guides down or hog them out for decent valves. Plus you can use readily available manifolds, that have been around for years (read that CHEAPER)
Old 10-12-2003, 09:31 PM

lluciano77 said it PERFECT!

I was in the exact situation ,except I was working on a 355 ci.

Please let me add!

Vortecs are a great head. They flow GREAT for the street....meaning, you need to do nothing else....but if you want to modify the Vortec for strip use it costs too much money and you would be better off going with the Pro-TopLine. Pro TopLines would be sluggish for street use,especially on a regular basis.

If racing ,AT THE TRACK, is in the future...go with the Pro-Toplines.

I went round and round for months on cylinder heads. I wanted to race so I decided on Pro-Toplines! So I went to buy Pro-Toiplines and all the "Sales" were off and I went with Edelbrock RPM`s but if I can do it again...Pro-Topline.

If you keep doing your homework ...you will see that the Pro-Toplines are bad *** but they are made for the track.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM

Well, this engine is going into an 85' k-5 blazer. It has a 355 now and I just want more power. Even though you guys say the pro-topline are strip heads, would the increased stroke of the 383 be enough that I would still notice alot of low end performance increase over the 355? I want quite a bit more low end than the 355 provides. Maybe it would be fun to take to a track with that setup and surprise some people, because even with the 355 I can take alot of the new trucks that are coming out.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithB123

If you keep doing your homework ...you will see that the Pro-Toplines are bad *** but they are made for the track.
The Pro topline heads come in a variety of intake CC runners. The smallest one still way out flows the stock heads and should be great for good grunt and mild racing. If you go all the way to the top CC runner, you'll do good at all out racing.

We're building a full roller 400 with the smaller Toplines for my sons 3/4 ton crawler. The machine shop we use recommends the Toplines over everything on the market. They've used lots of them and been extreemly pleased so far. I"ll post as we get closer to the unvieling of my sons monster! LOL
Old 10-17-2003, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

pro topline also tricks g. m. casts i have seen these on ebay several times and they are reasonable. they even do vortecs.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 AM

invest in a desktop dyno and get the flow numbers for both sets of heads.put in your specs and there you have it.but remember the dyno can't account for intake velocity such as 170cc runners to 210cc runners.smaller runners mean more velocity=more low end power.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:50 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I use the pro topline heads, Im using the 215cc heads and I have plenty of low end grunt out of a 355, and yes, these heads will pull so hard on top youll think your driving a ford.. So its the best of both worlds, you have the Chevy grunt and the horsepower of a ford, the pro topline heads have excelent mid- high lift flow and is compareable to AFR..They have recently, or maybe I have just noticed there new line of ford small block heads, and if they keep the price right, Pro topline is going to be the Long Arm of performance heads..
Old 10-19-2003, 05:59 PM

I have the desktop dyno and have plugged in all the flow data I can find, and the AFR looks to be better for me, but it would be nice to factor in runner size.85CHEVY glad you posted this as my project is also for a 4wd with similar questions.Have you looked at the AFR for your build up, think I am going with the 180cc AFR unless someone changes my mind b4 I make the purchase.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Upgraded Vortec to Pro Topline Comparo

I'm going thru the same dilemma. Upgraded Vortecs with all the valve guide and spring work done, and with SS valves, are fairly reasonable on ebay. I've read dyno articles on a stock lo comp 355 shortblock with a simple XE 262 flat hydr cam, RPM type intake, 650 carb, headers, and 9 to 9.5 cr that puts out at or near 400 hp and 425 torque. Impressive numbers. Also seen some big numbers with similarly done Vortecs on 383's. However, the Pro Toplines come with varying size runners as stated above, and have other advantages. Also on ebay for nearly same price as the Vortecs. Esp for a "warm" 355 or esp a 383 I have to believe they'd be better. They also have a more centrally located plug like the Vortecs, and have even more quench area - those are 2 things besides the intake port that make the Vortecs good. I guess a case could be made either way depending on the exact application, cubes and rpm range.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:42 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bamacj
I have the desktop dyno and have plugged in all the flow data I can find, and the AFR looks to be better for me, but it would be nice to factor in runner size.85CHEVY glad you posted this as my project is also for a 4wd with similar questions.Have you looked at the AFR for your build up, think I am going with the 180cc AFR unless someone changes my mind b4 I make the purchase.

The only problem I see with AFR is the time it takes to get a set of heads, They are built to your specific need when you order a set, or so Im lead to believe and thats good but the wait is proboly the reason some people buy other brands..The 180cc AFR's are the best heads in there class and the price reflects this..
Old 10-20-2003, 02:08 AM

I havent purchased the AFR yet,after reading this post I would like to research the pro topline heads and canfield.But I'm thinking they might be a little much for my street motor.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:34 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Cool

Go to the website of each mfg. (AFR and Pro Topline) and you will find that the Pro heads (180cc intake) flows better (no worse) than the same) than the AFR heads. I am not sure but I thought I read somewhere that the two companies are related in some way. The point is this: for about 400-500 bucks less than the AFR heads you can have cast iron Pro Toplines that will flow the same if not better and make more power due to the cast iron! And they will blow the Vortecs away in terms of flow and parts that will fit them. I am going to order some of them this summer.
Just my .02!
Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bamacj
I havent purchased the AFR yet,after reading this post I would like to research the pro topline heads and canfield.But I'm thinking they might be a little much for my street motor.
I'm running a set of the Canfield 215 cc 2.08" valve heads on a medium / high compression 10.7 to 1 383 and must say that I love them. They are beautiful heads to look at, they are a couple of hundred bucks cheaper than the AFR's and flow at least as well as AFR's & the new Brodix Track 1's. I didn't want the 215 runners, but I got them second hand ( un used ) for cheap.

For the money, I've heard that the Pro Toplines are great and it's my understanding that they are just as good of a street head as a race head. A few crate motors are starting to come out with them and showing some really great numbers for the price.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.