Pro TopLine heads SUCK!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 12:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problem with Pro Topline heads, advice please!

I have contacted PTL and they are offering some assistance so I'm affering an apology for my original post title.

Well, excuse my attitude, but things are NOT going well here in engine land. My son and I are building his roller 400 and spent the evening putting on the t-cover and pan, then on to the roller lifters, pushrods and roller rockers. We have Pro TopLine heads on the engine and have massive problems with them.

4 pushrods are hitting the head bad enough to keep the rockers from even going on.

Of the remaining rockers, only 1 came out reasonably straight. ALL the rest are severy angled and sitting offset on the stems. We removed one guide plate and tried again and could not get them straight.

I also do NOT like having 8 of the studs protruding into the intake runners! Is this normal?

Castings on the head are WAY off and the intake ports stick up above the gasket on both heads. Also, the valley area is open to outside air at each end of the manifold due to the casting being way too high by the end manifold bolts.

We measured across 2 valve stems, then compaired 2 other sets of stock chevy heads and the valves in the PTL heads are .025" wider apart than stock!

Is this "normal" for high dollar heads? or did we get a bum set?

Advertisement

Last edited by Jmark; 10-29-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Wow! Those are truly garbage. Send them back and get you money back. Get a set of Edelbrocks.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks.

We're going to have one of the machine shop guys come by on Monday before we take it apart.
Fortunately, we bought them through the shop and NOT from mailorder or eBay, so returning them is easy. The shop uses the PTL heads all the time, plus we'd never heard anything bad about them so we gave them a shot. Too bad we spent so much time getting this far, only to have to take it apart again! LOL

May try a set of Darts. Plus I really want to have the exhaust crossover, which the PTLs don't have. Just don't want to have a cold blooded backfiring turd in the winter.

I'll update on Monday with more info. ( any good lawyers on here! LOL )

Mark
Old 10-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Bum deal J, sorry for the misfortune. I did some digging on the web and found this on them.

The 383 that I used the heads on does run pretty good,but as I have said before it took me about 6 trys just to get a usable set of heads!Make sure you check the heads very carefully before you use them!I will never order a set of these heads again.

The 383 that I used the heads on does run pretty good,but as I have said before it took me about 6 trys just to get a usable set of heads!Make sure you check the heads very carefully before you use them!I will never order a set of these heads again.

They did take care of the problems with no hassle.My problem was that it happened 3 times.I can see 1 or 2 mistakes ,but after the third they started to scare me.It also got to be a real pain,open the box,find the problem,box them back up and wait for a new head.Just to much of a hassle for me.If anyone else has had problems like this let me know.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Which model did you buy? Those are meant for offset pushrod cup rockers and raised runner intakes. It looks to me like you have an alchohol circle track head there not stock replacement.

Which was the one you ordered, here's the page.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:04 AM

Last photo:

Thats Right they are the all out racing heads parts are compatible with the big Brodix heads , Nice HP stuff! but you must do your home work on this stuff!
Old 10-25-2003, 05:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I agree with Chuck and Roy, I think you did not do enough homework. I am sure the valves are spread to accommodate larger valves. They are full race pieces, not oem replacements.

Chris
Old 10-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, we had the machine shop do the selecting given the apps and what we wanted. Either they goofed up big time, or they came boxed wrong.

They were supposed to be the smallest CC runner that Ptl makes. They are going on a 400sbc for a 3/4 ton truck. I"ll have to ask my son what number they are and do some checking. Thanks for the replies! Anyone need some heads? LOL

Well, I cked the numbers on the heads, both match and show as a fairly stock, hp head for street use, NO ROCKER OFFSET NEEDED, so on and so on. All I can think of right now is either they just really suck, or someone miss-stamped them off the assembly line.

Looks like our machine shop has a real mess to deal with, cause I sure ain't taking the heat on this one! LOL

Here is the spec sheet on the "supposed heads".

Well, after more searching on the PTL site, I found what I think we actually have. If its true, then PTL mis-stamped them.

These sound more like what we ended up with. :>(

Last edited by Jmark; 10-25-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Another thing you should check is the intake gasket you are using. That one in the picture is for cast iron heads and intake. If you have an aluminum intake you won't get a good seal. Also the second link you gave set the rockers were at a .450" offset. Those heads in the picture didn't look like they were that far apart.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:21 PM

the gasket would work great it you got the correct gasket

felpro has numerous intake gaskets for the sbc...measure you ports and get the correct one.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:35 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Those doesnt look my my proactions either, Ill go out and pull the valve cover off tommorow and take a pic of mine, I did have to use +.100 pushrods but I havent had any problems other than changing spark plugs, the plugs are angled down towards the oilpan and make changing the plugs quite a job..How much did you pay for them?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, the initial response from my machine shop, after coming by the house and taking a look, is the heads are infact the correct heads for what we ordered. They do not believe they are the alky raised runner heads.

They do agree with me that the initial machine work from PTL kinda sucks. 4 push rods are rubbing the heads big time and some head grinding will be necessary to correct that. But that, coupled with the fact that some of the rockers still do not sit properly on the stems, makes me very leery of even putting them back on.

They are going to contact PTL and see what they say. Personally, I'd like a set of Darts or Worlds this time. I've lost confidence in the PTL heads, and so has my son, and its HIS money! LOL

Mark
Old 10-27-2003, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

You don't have enough time to wait on PTL. Go with World or Dart. Much better in the long run.

Cstraub
Old 11-04-2003, 01:27 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I finaly got around to pulling my valve cover off, the pic is in my photo album of the Pro Topline heads and the roller rockers I use, lol, I still havent changed the two "yellow" wires and have separated the wires yet.....HEY!!!! I drive this car every day...

Last edited by 2wld4u; 11-04-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Rodeck as well as others do separate the lifters more to compensate for larger valves which will be spaced further apart. I believe you will get these heads to work by changing a few things. No doubt these are an all out power head that's being used on a production block. No doubt the machining is bad. You could use the shaft mounted roller rockers or offset rollers to compensate for the push rod angles. A typical circle track engine will utilize the biggest bore(4.130) to unshroud the valves and shortest stroke(3.62) to increase compression for torque and reduce weight on crank. With valves in the 2.08 and 1.75 range you have to space them further apart. Contact these guy's, Hendrens racing Engines RUTHERFORDTON N.C. 828-286-0780. They build engines for Super Lates and East Mods as well as a host of other things. They have lots of experience running these heads and can help you figure out what you need if the the machine shop you are dealing with won't return the heads or even provide enough assistance.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.