Hot Rod Forum banner

pro-trac (cold tire bounce)

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ztoy 
#1 ·
Gentlemen: Being a first? for me on this site,???I'm hopeing it will satisfy me, as to you, "outthere" the hot rodder (the aka. consumer) to answer this question---DO THE PRO-TRAC TIRES???STILL BOUNCE???WHEN COLD!!----AS I'm 70 plus! years young, and have been an Avid Rodder for more than 60 or so of them, I want good feedback--from people like you??who dont pull any punches, when it comes to a poor product.--Anyway--Back in the 60's thru the 70's, the Pro-Trac tire was a pretty good tire"""except for it's "COLD TIRE BOUNCE, OR AFTER A SHORT NON-USED STATE, those things would shake, your theeth loose (till the,got heat inum, then they settle down a little-------MY INQUIRE, IS THIS---ANYONE USING THE NEW PRO-TRAC TIRE--from COKER TIRE CO. would you POST your thoughts??on this tire-----PRO-TRAS TIRE CO. went KINDA UNDER--I THINK???? IN the early 80's and a few years ago was purchased by Coker Tire, and was supposed to be upgradded???? As I like the looks of the new N_50-15 and want to purchase a set. I need to establish the "GOOD AGAINST BAD FEEDBACK" that I ONLY respect---Rodders like you----AS I'm finishing up my latest project?? A 67 Dodge (aka. little red wagon--pro streeter) --Framed-IRS-8-3/4 rear-4-link--468" BBC--custom air intake (floor consoul) tri-y headers and complete cerami coated exaust-centerlines on all fours.--A/C-P/S-P/B (disks on all 4's)-Pont. feiro buckets etc. So I hope to hear from you-uns soon ----COMMON---LET ME KNOW----DO THEY STILL BOUNCE?????????thanks --7871

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have any info on the pro-tracs for you, but, I have used Mickey Thompson Indy's with fair results (they wear pretty quickly). They have the N50-15 you want in the S/S compound! I personally would use one of the street and strip drag radials that are available from a number of company's on this BEAST of a Dodge that you're buildin'! But, If you do get this thing to Hook-Up, you probably want to put some supergrip on your dentures, cause this thing might FLY!!!

#5 ·
had a customer about two years ago that ran coker tire said they are alot better now then then was in the 70's.
I drove it after it sat in the shop for a week and it did not feel like I had square wheel on if that is what you are looking at but I think price wise Mickey T's a less money and a better ride.

#6 ·
I run Pro Trac P275/60-15's on the rear and Pro Trac 5.60-15's on the front of my 1928 Ford Closed Cab Pickup.(See the icon to the left of this post) 350 / 350 combo with 3.80 rear gears. My suspension is a 4" dropped axle with stock Model 'A' front spring with reversed eyes and split radius rods. Narrowed stock rear Model 'A' spring with reversed eyes and 4-bar in the rear. Only have about 2" travel in the rear suspension.

As to the Pro Trac tires; I really like them. I do not have any problems or concerns with them. Traction is excellent even in the rain and I have not experienced what you refer to as "Cold tire bounce." I bought them from Coker Tires two years ago in Chattanooga and would definitely buy them again.

By the way; I'm 61 (going on 19)and have been into Hot Rods and Harleys since my teenage years. :D :cool:

#7 ·
This must be the senior thread. Being a 68 year old racer of everything with a sparkplug in it, I have always liked nylon tires but they do have that cold tire bounce. It's a trade off, bounce for safty, rayon for milage and smooth ride.
Your car sounds great, have a good time with it. :D

#9 ·
Wow I gfell like the kid on the block at 48 (ok 49 on the 20th) and that doesn't happen everyday I'll tell you! lol! I ran Pro-Tracs back in the 70's and lovewd them. Never noticed any cold weather bounce but come to think of it my Camaro never saw any cold days. Anyway, my son is running a pair of them now ( my typing is atrocious as my 6 mo. old granddaughter is on my lap playing! lol) and he loves the looks and the traction. I am getting some for myself very soon :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.