Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - pro welders, I've got a challenge for you to firgure out
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
MIG welding is usually globular transfer. ( autobody work would not use spray transfer)
The end of the wire melts into a little ball and drops to the weld zone.
In most usages there is no contact between the wire and the base metal for more than a few milliseconds at a time as it creates its short circuit.
I would think you will be lucky if you can get consistent "sticks".
Going to be an interesting experiment. Keep us posted

Edit: most MIG machines today use a short circuit globular transfer method, which is not true globular transfer. It is in those milliseconds that the wire contacts the base metal and creates the short circuit which increases the heat and forms that nice little ball (glob) of metal to transfer.

That is a basic idea , there are many text books explaining it far more involved.
You may have something there OF,yesterday I played around with disconnecting the ground while welding and it was deffinetly all about the timing,I was averaging about two out of ten trys by releasing the trigger and the ground at exactly the same time ..when I had someone else remove the ground we culdnt get it to work at all ..It is possible though.The few that stuck and feed the wire out were stuck very well and I couldnt pull them off with plyers, theres going to be more to it than just a switch at the ground...
I know its possible and heres why (bare with me)...back in 76-78 I was working at a friends shop when a salesman came in to demonstrate a new welder called a mig,at that time no shops had one and I never saw anything like it, anyway he demonstrated it ,how to weld and showed all us how ez it was to weld with,we were pretty impressed with it to say the least,,,as an encore he showed us a feature that floored us ,we had a chevy truck door laying there with a 4" rust hole where the bolt s for those big mirrors go, he ground around the hole to get clean metal and did something he called speggettii weld ,the wire welded itself to one side of the hole then the wire feed out until it reached the other side and when it made contact it welded itself to the other side,he kept repeting this until the hole had wire covering it like spokes on a wheel then he hit a button and all the spokes glowed red hot welding themselves to each other ,the hole was welded up...I never forgot that.. my buddy did buy that welder and we were one of the first shops around to have a mig welder.as it turned out it wasnt a very good way to patch a hole so we never used the feature and I never saw it again on any other machine...
So it is possible,I'm just not smart enough to figure it out myself......Wheres old red??? I'll bet he can shed some light on this