Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Problem hooking up Dakota Digital Cruise Control
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problem hooking up Dakota Digital Cruise Control

I've got a '55 Chevy Bel Air with a Ramjet 350 crate motor running the stock Mefi4a ECU and a new Tremec T56 Magnum aftermarket 6-speed transmission. The transmission has a 2 wire inductive VSS and I have a VDO electric speedometer that is working perfectly. After calibration it is reporting that I have 32,380 pulses per mile.

I've got my Dakota Digital (DD) cruise control (made by Rostra) installed and started wiring it up and ran into a snag.

The DD cruise wiring only has one wire for a VSS hookup and the inductive VSS sensor coming from my T56 Magnum has 2 wires. And btw, I hooked an ohm meter up to the 2 wires on my VSS and neither is a ground. The inductive VSS sensor must generate an AC voltage to the 2 wires.

It appears the DD unit VSS wire is designed to come off the ECM and not directly from a VSS sensor like I have. (My Ramjet 350 ECM doesn't use a VSS signal so I have no VSS out from it.) The DD instructions say it needs one wire from an ECM or one of the 3 wires if using a 3 wire VSS sensor on the transmission. I did get a comment on another forum where someone had a DD unit that indeed does work with his 3 wire hall-effect VSS sensor.

Is there a converter that I can use to generate the signal the DD unit needs?
I sure don't want to have to put a magnet kit on the car (yuck).

Anybody have some suggestions on a solution? I sure would appreciate it.