problem with my 460 ignition... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 06:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry problem with my 460 ignition...

Hey guys, my girlfriends dad has a sweet 89' ford 4x4 with a fuel injected 460 with a duraspark II firing it. When you drive it for like 5 or 6 miles it will just die. But if you let it sit for and hour it will run another 5 or 6 miles and start all over again. I figured he might need a ballast resistor or somthing. What do you guys think? Thanks all. Anything you all have to tell me will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

You should have the "check engine lite" on now. You need to read the error codes to find out what is wrong and fix it. My 89 F-250 with a EFI 351 started acting like that and when I did the codes it said 3 sensors and the fuel pump relay were all bad! A hot wire feeding all 3 sensors had shorted and killed them all, I replaced them and the truck ran fine, SO.. I didn't believe the fuel pump relay was bad like the code reader said. A week later we went down to Seaside Oregon (200 miles away) to see Gallagher the comedian, on the way back, in the middle of nowhere, the truck died, it was the fuel pump relay, I by passed it and we got home. Moral of the story.. Fix everything it says is bad, or else..
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 PM

Hey thanks for the tip man. By the way I lived in Oregon for almost all my life untill I moved here to texas about six moths ago. I lived in Glendale Oregon. It sure is some pretty country up there huh? Ok thanks again man.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:22 PM

Ok I talked to my girlfriends dad and he wanted to know if the problem could also be the pick up coil inside the distributor. Also he said that he bought a chepo aftermarket distributor from some place that was reman in mexico. Wondering if that could be the problem also. Oh and I had him check all of his sensors too. Thanks for the info pony.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Sounds like an electrical problem. Those are notorious for module failure. I like to change stator (pick up coil) and module at the same time. Check for codes 14 and/or 18 in the memory to verify ignition failure.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM

I think that is what will have to be done cause I can't think of the problem being anything other than fuel or electrical. Thanks for the info.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.