Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Problem with new oil pump (sbc)
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8hed
I just installed another oil pan and changed the Melling Select HV oil pump (10550) for a Melling Select stock volume (10553). Now everything is back together, I just went to prime the pump using a priming tool and the pump is noisy and the shaft doesn't turn smoothly. I removed the priming tool and stuck a flat blade screwdriver on the end of the oil pump drive shaft and I could feel the jerkiness in the shaft as I turned it with the screwdriver. It was generating healthy pressure for the brief time I ran the drill with the priming tool, but obviously something is definitely not right. It's worth noting I did turn the shaft before installing the pump and it was perfectly smooth. I also had the cover off to change out the pressure spring. Anyone have any ideas?
May have picked up something from the screen if it was not cleaned out good before installation. Or it may have had something in pump. It really don't matter it's gotta come back out one way or another. Then you will find the problem.