Problem with ospho!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problem with ospho!!

So a few weeks ago before i went on vacation i decided to put ospho on the frame and trunk i built for my 29 chevy. There was just light surface rust on them so i just sprayed it down and went over it with a wire wheel and then put another wet coat on it. I primered and painted them and went on vacation for a few weeks. I just came back and looked at them and there is a few big spots of white and black powder sticking through the paint on both of them. when i rub it with my hand it all comes off. what did i do wrong??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Incorrect water rinse before paint application
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

maybe but I doubt it...since I've never used anything to rinse it or neautralize it.
What could have happened......
Did you read the directions?????
did you rinse all the nasty rust sluge with clean Ospho after wheeling?
Did you wipe all the excess off with a paper type shop towel?
did you wait for it to dry 24hrs?
prep for primer....
scuff with a red scuff pad use a quality wax & grease remover (not the duplicolor W&G from O riellies)
epoxy primer and let cure then paint...
Did you do all this...
I'm sure I can help you figure it out ....I use it all the time.
You really have to pay attention when using acid Its the #1 cause of a paint failure....
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

I'm pretty sure there could be plenty of reasons for this due to the lack of being careful! all i did was spray it down with ospho, wheeled it with a wire brush, and then put another coat on and scrubbed it with a scuff pad. let it dry 24 hours and then wiped it with a good wax and grease remover and primered it. I did lots wrong as you can tell.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Well at least you wont have trouble getting the paint off to redo it.
I think the biggest problem is that you didnt wipe it off well ,and it left you with a lot of excess film which may have seemed dry but underneath it wasnt quite dry ...Sanding it first with 180 would have told you if it wasnt ready because it would ball up on the paper...How did it do with the rust ??
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Well i'm going to try a door and see how it turns out. I redid the trunk and did what you just told me, and so far its looking good! There's pretty heavy rust on these doors though, and ive wheeled it plenty of times with the wire wheel. How is the panel supposed to look when it is ready for primer? Is it still going to look the rust color or something else? It seems as much as i work on it the rust never goes away.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Heres a before and after pic of a fender I'm doing, well almost after... Theres 3 hrs in this one and I put another 1 1/2 in today to finish it but this is good enough to prime now I just wanted it bit cleaner.you can see the whole deal all the way to preping and priming in the "Ospho solution" thread....theres other methods discussed and being tried there too like different types of removers and electrlytic rust removal..if you got rust theres a solution..This fender is showed start to finish including what tools to use and how much time it should take.You should take some pics and post over there so everyone can benefit from others problems and we can all learn something its pretty much a group effort although it did start out strickly as an ospho user thread its evolving into a rust removal thread...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8918.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	76199   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8919.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	76200   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8942.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	76201   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8944.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	76202  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-30-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Can you prime over that much rust?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I've never used OSPHO Mike (did I spell it right?), it just seems that so many guys have trouble with it. I see that your using it on fairly heavy metal, wouldn't it be a better idea to sand blast or some other type of media blast? I know you've had some great results but with all the troubles, I think I'd be a little hesitant to try it.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (08-04-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Thats the question,Ray. if the cars is completely taken apart, motor, glasswindow regulators,chrome, interior,etc... Blasting may be a good way to go but not if your driving it.or not taking it apart down to every last nut and bolt.that sand (media) gets in every nook and cranny.
Blasting should always be done by a pro that really knows what they are doing and they're hard to find. you dont want to find out the hard way that all the blaster really knows is how to talk it up and your car is destroyed
Blasting does a good job quick but even the pros that do it every day can warp the panels and create a nightmare a DIY WILL most likely warp them.
I've been using Ospho for a long ,long time and was surprized to hear so many guys were having trouble with it when I wasnt I thought everybody used it. Theres no doubt that it removes rust saftly without any damage to a panel or bare metal wont rust after being treated giving you plenty of time to properly prep each panel at your own pace,that isnt the problem and has never been disputed ,the problems start when prepping for primer and if improperly prepped you can get bubbles and or bad adheasion so special attention and caution should be used when prepping...if its done right there wont be any problems but everybody makes mistakes, even using something as simple as wax and grease remover will cause adheasion problems if not done correctly...
blasting has its own problems.Ospho does too...if you know what your doing both are good ways to remove rust,and each has its advantages over the other...but if you want to remove rust yourself cheaply Ospho is your best bet...Just pay attention when it comes time to prep for primer and you'll be fine....
If you can take a panel off like a hood or a deck theres the electrolytic method that works best over any other. it's easy and does a fantastic job...
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
Can you prime over that much rust?
heres a close up of all that rust....and a pic of it finished...so the short answear is yes,most definetely...but it takes some work it. took me 5hrs to get this fender done ,3days and about 1 1/2 hrs a day...These are my GOOD fenders. LOL
Now you know why they call me DBM....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8946.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	76301   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8950.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	76302  
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

As some of you know I will give you a product to prove a point. Take a panel cleaned up with Ospho or mastercoat prep. Prime it with the Mastercoat Permanent rust sealer/surfacer three coates . This will level up all the pitting and put an airtight seal over the panel. Prime it ,block sand, and paint.just PM me and I'll be happy to send you some product and I will even pay the freight that's how confident I am in our products. Just PM me.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM

true enough,he sent me some rust remover and I like it ,I'm still trying it out and havent used any of the primer yet...BUT the smell of it takes some getting used to.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
As some of you know I will give you a product to prove a point. Take a panel cleaned up with Ospho or mastercoat prep. Prime it with the Mastercoat Permanent rust sealer/surfacer three coates . This will level up all the pitting and put an airtight seal over the panel. Prime it ,block sand, and paint.just PM me and I'll be happy to send you some product and I will even pay the freight that's how confident I am in our products. Just PM me.
Just an observation Pat. You did not even reply to my PM.

John
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Mike. Your right, everything has it's pro's and con's, I've been reading this thread and others to learn more about products such as OSPHO and others. I won't have an opportunity to use the product for quite some time but, it's all good information. I get asked quite often about products such as this from other guys in the trade and it's always good to know the good and the bad.

Thanks again MIke.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.