Problem with SW Dimension Color Match - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Problem with SW Dimension Color Match

Well, got a new door for my Prelude and decided to paint it. Had it primered with gray primer then shot the same color code paint "Granada Black Pearl". Turns out the paint is a lot different. It's not really even close at all. In the sun it looks more brown.

My question is, have you guys experienced a poor color match from Sherwin Williams Dimension paint? I asked the guy if there were any variances, he kinda just ignored me about it...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 03:29 AM

Last photo:

Its hard enough to panel paint metallics let along pearl colors. How come you didn't least blend blend into ajacent panels?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Dimension is for over alls, not for panel matches. Didn't the jobber tell you that when you purchased it?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Yep, there is NO WAY a value line like Dimension is going to match good enough for "panel painting" (not blending). You couldn't even get a top of the line paint right off the mixing bank to pull that off with a metallic let alone a value line.

And "black" is not black at all as you have learned, there is no such thing as "Black" realistically, it is extremely dark blue, red or brown. So blending it out even solid black when painting something like a door is pretty much essential.

On most any color on a late model car there is going to be many "alternates" or "variants" as some paint companies call them. The auto manufacture builds these cars in factories all over right? Not only that but they are building that same model style and color for many months if not years, right? So they have to buy paint many times and sometimes even from different sources.

This being the fact, a Honda Prelude made in Jan 2005 and one made in Sept 2005 though they have the same color code on their information sticker in the door jamb are often going to be very different in color! The paint could even be a different brand! This is where these "alternates" come around. The paint manufacturer in the high end lines will have color chips for all these alternates found in a particular color code.They will often have five, six or even ten or twelve different alternate colors for a given code and year! These colors will often be VERY different from one an other.

These colors are all hand matched by color techs in the color lab at S-W, Dupont, Sikkens, PPG, etc. And they spend a LOT of money on these matches. To these manufacturers the color match IS their sale. If they have colors that match better than the other company it means HUNDREDS of millions of dollars in sales. Color IS the paint business more than anything else.

So, with the low end lines they don't spend ANY color time at all on them. They are often simply computer matched and are NOT designed for panel painting at all but more of an "overall" paint with no alternates what so ever.

To match that color properly you are going to need to blend into the fender and the quarter then clear over the entire area.

This isn't a big deal, you can mask the stuff off or remove it as we do at the shop. The bumpers and lights come off VERY easy as does the rocker moulding and you can pull all this stuff off,scuff it with a scuff pad (there are more to these steps but I am cutting to the chase), mask it and shoot it in not much longer than shooting the one door.

Study up on blending here on the net and you will pull it off without a hitch. You have about the easiest color there is to blend so that is in your favor.

Brian
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Oh alright, I totally understand. Na, the guy at Sherwin Williams didn't tell me that it was for overall. But, it's alright at least I'm learning. And the reason why I didn't blend was because the door was off the car before I did it. My garage isnt big enough to bring the car in and paint it there, lol.

Where can I go locally to get the higher end panel paint? Where they can get an exact match.

Thanks everybody! Appreciate all of your guy's help!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

SW does make higher end paint that will match much better. Personally I prefer PPG Deltron (their quality paint) as it has best color match for spot painting.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

SW is the mfg of the paint sold through Napa. Find your local Napa Paint and Body supplier (usually have a large regional store that supplies the body shops and distrib. to the smaller stores). Napa's PBE rep (not the kid who has painted 1 panel in a class) will be able to help you out.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

How good is the SW Dimension paint? They sell it here but I don't know anybody that has used it. The place that sells it claims it's good stuff. I was told it was not watered down like some paint and you need reducer. I am thinking about painting a car with it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctBlues03
Oh alright, I totally understand. Na, the guy at Sherwin Williams didn't tell me that it was for overall. But, it's alright at least I'm learning. And the reason why I didn't blend was because the door was off the car before I did it. My garage isnt big enough to bring the car in and paint it there, lol.

Where can I go locally to get the higher end panel paint? Where they can get an exact match.

Thanks everybody! Appreciate all of your guy's help!

Remove the gas filler door off and take it to the paint store and have them match the color.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

Nobody has an opinion on Dimension single stage solid color urethane paint for an overall paint job?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would still use the SPI epoxy for my base prime, the 2k or turbo product for blocking and the SW dimension for the color coat..Now if you like you can clear it with the universal clear and really get a good job..

works for me

Sam
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

I need to fix a few spots before repainting. Most of the paint already has a good base on it. I was planning on blocking down the paint that is on there now and going right over the top. A place in town starting selling the Dimension paint about a year ago and has a good price on reds.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i would get a primer sealer on as sometimes reds do not cover quite as well as we would hope..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.