Hot Rod Forum banner

Problem w/Fuel guage false reads

888 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dasyhard 
#1 ·
I accidently overfilled my 12 gallon fuel cell a couple days ago to top it off. When filling it, the spout/drain pipe under the cell began spilling gas out and there was a ticking sound also. It finally stopped after almost a quart came out. Now my fuel guage needle empties out faster than normal. To be more specific, I can actually see the needle moving while driving. I checked for leaks in the braided fuel lines but didin't find any. Does anyone have a fix for this problem on my electric fuel guage or will this subside later? Thanks

#2 ·
I accidently overfilled my 12 gallon fuel cell a couple days ago to top it off. When filling it, the spout/drain pipe under the cell began spilling gas out and there was a ticking sound also. It finally stopped after almost a quart came out. Now my fuel level gauge needle is reading false because it empties out faster than normal. To be more specific, I can actually see the needle moving while driving. I checked for leaks in the braided fuel lines but I didn't find any. Does anyone have a fix for this problem on my electric fuel guage or will this subside later? Thanks[/QUOTE]

#3 ·
It sounds like the sending unit sensor got pushed beyond its travel limit when you overfilled, and now its not working right. Can you pull the sensor and float out of the tank to take a look at it? Most of these mechanisms are designed to be quite durable, so you might be able to get it working right again.

Bruce

#5 ·
I think I found the problem. I removed the Flush Mount Fuel Cell Cap and discovered the float that is attached to the sending unit's rod sank to the bottom of the tank. Do I remove this second mount/cap to pull the sending unit and rod out and install back in again?

#4 ·
I think you're right. Tonight I just noticed when I opened the car door I heard a clanging sound coming from the cell. So I shaked the car and that sound became louder like something was hitting the walls of the cell. I'll check it out soon. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.