Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Problems with 302 in 1987 Ranger
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

OKaaaaay - RTV is fine when used sparingly and if I recall, that goo only needs to be put around the water ports. Gaskacinch - nothing more then a good grade of flammable contact cement. Detractors can argue that point - I've done a low end test with the two.

Use a good high temp RTV in place of those manifold to block end seals.

Intake gaskets - I use one of these, FEL-PRO MS93334 (you don't use the upper gasket) or Fel-Pro 1250. Both should be available locally or cheaper at Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php)

Unless you have changed out timing gears and chain, you should be fine - unless they have many, many miles and 'jumped' a tooth or so. Then you need this gasket set - FEL-PRO Part # TCS45449 along with a decent timing gear and chain set - I recommend Summit as they have a huge collection of Ford parts while Jeg's, IMO, sucks for anything but Chebbie.

You will need a harmonic balancer puller to check the chain and gears - Advance or Auto Zone as well as others have loaners. DO NOT use any other method. It can get really expensive.

Dave W