Problems with accel corrected hei cap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with accel corrected hei cap

Anybody have any experience with the hei accel corrected cap. I started out with the standard accel cap coil and rotor. Then swapped out the cap no problem! But then I changed out the coil for a new msd and it misfires. Put the coil in a new delco cap and no misfire. Anybody?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The Problem: Accel. Myself and many others on this site have had nothing but problems out of accel products. It`s all made in china cheap junk.
me, and two friends of mine, we all three bought the Accel HEI cap and rotor kit. All three caps melted after a few days use. I bought a new HEI super coil, the car would get to 4000 RPM before it would start busting. Checked the spark, yellow, indicating a weak spark. Installed factory AC Delco coil, it ran great with strong blue spark. Other incidents include new spark plug wires with high resistance right out of the box. That`s why I`m mostly willing to give a company the three strike rule, if they`re products fail me three times I never use them again and I won`t recommend them to anyone either. Some guys on this site swear by Accel parts, but you`ll find more that swear at them more than swear by them.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Thought so!! I was just trying to clean up the wires but I wasted my time and money. Thanks for your info!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

hmmmmm

I find many places where one or two guys hate accel this is true. For me personally I have been building engines since the early 70's and have had zero problems with them. I use their distributor, coils, wires, and yes even the dreaded "corrected" cap in my 1980 Camaro (and many others) with no issues whatsoever. I have used them for some time now and before that other corrected caps. This one I have now is well made, no issues throughout the bandwidth and always have strong spark. One thing accel has going for them is the customer service. Even the guys on other sites that had an issue , if they took the time to contact accel found normally courteous and helpful reps. They send replacement parts quickly and do all they can to help. I am not associated with them so please don't think this is a ad by them. I mainly deal in the marine industry but always have a nice Camaro or Firebird at home. In reality Accel has been around for a very long time, this in itself is a testimony to them. If they really did only sell junk as a few say then they would have had to close their doors years ago but they keep going well so??? Sometimes a faulty issue? Sure, all makers do.. do they fix it? yes and that is more than most others do.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

dmoody19@cfl.rr.com, please check your PM's

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I used Accel electronic distributors in my Model T and Model A Fords. The Model A is a SBC, The T is a SBF. On the SBF I upgraded to the Accel cap that has (2) bolts on top to prevent the wires from coming off.

I went to buy a replacement cap about a month ago, they no longer make them, and they are unique to their distributors.

Nice... so now I have to buy the only style cap they make and replace my nearly new Accel low resistance wires that were $80.

I won't be buying any Accel products in the future.

My new mantra... use OEM stuff whenever possible.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 12-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.