problems with choke wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

problems with choke wiring

never had a choke before. i always had fuel injected motors. I have a 625 demon on my 350. The choke is wired into the wiper motor assembly which is hot only when the car runs. it was wired to the oil switch which was the wire designed to run the choke originally and is also hot in run. With the positive connector not connected to the choke i read 12 volts. with it connected to the choke it drops down..... runs 6 volts and it opens very slowly....the car floods. when wired straight to the battery i get 12 volts and no voltage drop. choke opens really fast and seems to work fine but this is not hot in run wire...its hot all the time. those wires do not show resistors on them in the diagram. im thinking about putting it on a switch. my inexperience may be the culprit for having to rig it this way. i would rather not since it is supposed to be an AUTOMATIC choke. i do know how the bi matal spring in there operates...with 6 volts it doesnt get hot enough fast enough

some questions

when is it supposed to open? 15 degrees outside....how long does it stay closed

is it supposed to open in about 30 seconds like it does straight wired to the battery. right now it is adjusted stock

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx
never had a choke before. i always had fuel injected motors. I have a 625 demon on my 350. The choke is wired into the wiper motor assembly which is hot only when the car runs. it was wired to the oil switch which was the wire designed to run the choke originally and is also hot in run. With the positive connector not connected to the choke i read 12 volts. with it connected to the choke it drops down..... runs 6 volts and it opens very slowly....the car floods. when wired straight to the battery i get 12 volts and no voltage drop. choke opens really fast and seems to work fine but this is not hot in run wire...its hot all the time. those wires do not show resistors on them in the diagram. im thinking about putting it on a switch. my inexperience may be the culprit for having to rig it this way. i would rather not since it is supposed to be an AUTOMATIC choke. i do know how the bi matal spring in there operates...with 6 volts it doesnt get hot enough fast enough

some questions

when is it supposed to open? 15 degrees outside....how long does it stay closed

is it supposed to open in about 30 seconds like it does straight wired to the battery. right now it is adjusted stock
You need to find a good switched 12 volt source. Electric chokes tend to open a little to fast and some can be adjusted to put a little more tension on them to open slower. Full open in 30 seconds is probably to fast.

Chet
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Last photo:

The best way to wire it IMHO is to feed it from the field terminal of the alternator that way the only time the choke is getting power is when the engine is running. You do not want the choke getting power when just the key is in the run position. Typically a relay coil is powered from the field terminal of the alternator and the other side of the relay coil is grounded. One side of the normally open relay contact is from a fused 12 volt source and the other side of the normally open relay contact goes to the choke. Of course the choke needs to be grounded also.

Vince
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 AM

Last photo:

used the field wire...14 volts.....choke works fine.....thanks guys
Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

i always run choke off full time hot, off fuse panel IGN port

same with HEI

put inline fuse in the wire

GM had a relay, inside the vehicle under the dash, choke relay

and some years and models a choke light also, such as in the 82 full size trucks for example.

works just fine off ign port though.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Last photo:

Problem with that is anytime the key is on the choke is being heated. Try to start the car in cold weather after the key has been on for a while and your outta luck. Power to choke only when engine is running is the most efficient and logical way to do it.

Vince
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Problem with that is anytime the key is on the choke is being heated. Try to start the car in cold weather after the key has been on for a while and your outta luck. Power to choke only when engine is running is the most efficient and logical way to do it.

Vince

That's about the only way to do it right except maybe to power a relay from an oil pressure switch. With the oil pressure switch the only time the choke will get power is after the engine starts and the oil pressure comes up. Easiest and simplest way is to do what 302 suggested and power it from the alternator, that's the way the factories did it for many years.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.