Problems with clear; fisheyes, never dries - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with clear; fisheyes, never dries

Hello,
I am seeking help on a clear coat issue and I ran across this forum. Please excuse the fact tht I had to join only to ask this question and also that the project in question is non-automotive. I am currently working on a model for a customer and am running into problems while laying down the clear coat.

First off, the main goal of the project is to acquire a Mirrachrome finish. The requirements are a black base followed by a urethane clear (must be glass like surface) followed by Mirrachrome and finished with another coat of clear.

The problem is that I am getting major fisheyes when I spray the clear coat and also that the clear never dries, even after days left curing.

I am using a 2 1/2 gallon compressor with oil/water trap at 45 psi and Badger 155 airbrush. I used Krylon Gloss Black, decanted and shot through airbrush, for the base coat which was smoothed out using a polishing kit after the paint was dry. The clear I am using is Matrix System MS-747 and MA-455 hardener, mix ratio 4 to 1, and I used a dropper and electric mixer to mix the equal parts.

I blamed the Krylon paint at first but I noticed that whatever surface I sprayed the clear on (clean, dirty, bare plastic, painted) I still get the two problems. I don't know what to do so I turn to your knowledge on these types of automotive clears. Thanks in advace!!!!

Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you are getting fisheyes, it is usually something on the surface or in the air supply, or materials you are spraying. Since you said that you tried it on other things, I would think it is not from the surface. You have a filter, but how far from the compressor is it? If it is much less than about 25', they are not much use. Another thing to look at is the mixing set-up. You could be getting something in it from when you mix it. Contaminated measuring or mixing devices could cause it.

As far as the not drying, I am not familiar with that product, so I won't guess what is causing that.

Aaron
Old 09-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

We can only a+s-u-me that you are activating the clear with the right ratio.
So that eliminates a lot of problems right off.

Ist thing I would assume is the fisheyes are not fisheyes and is gassing.
The clear solvent could VERY well be melting the dropper and that would be my first and best guess since you said it happens on clean and paint.
Plastic and solvents do not mix unless they are made for harsh solvents.
So that would explain the fisheyse and the non or slow curing of the clear.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
You have a filter, but how far from the compressor is it? If it is much less than about 25', they are not much use. Another thing to look at is the mixing set-up. You could be getting something in it from when you mix it. Contaminated measuring or mixing devices could cause it.
I have a 6 foot braided hose and the filter is directly at the beginning of the line, or immediately connected to the compressor output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
We can only a+s-u-me that you are activating the clear with the right ratio.
So that eliminates a lot of problems right off.

Ist thing I would assume is the fisheyes are not fisheyes and is gassing.
The clear solvent could VERY well be melting the dropper and that would be my first and best guess since you said it happens on clean and paint.
Plastic and solvents do not mix unless they are made for harsh solvents.
So that would explain the fisheyse and the non or slow curing of the clear.
For mixing, I simply took four equal dropper doses to one equal of hardener and mixed. I'm using glass droppers so that rules that out, I guess....but, As Aaron mentioned, contamintation might be the suspect. I normally only use that dropper to clean out the airbrush using lacquer thinner. I went ahead and used it to mix the clear but I made sure that the dropper was dry. Now, will dry thinner residue be strong enough to disrupt the clear? Also, the stainless steel jar I mix in might have been contaminated as well. Although I cleaned it using soap and water and wiped it dry before using it to mix, I feel something left back on its surface may have contributed.

I will try to use entirely clean equipment and test it out again. But, before ending, I will mention one important thing I just realized. The first time I got fisheyes, I had sprayed on a wet coat, as per instructions. In anger after seeing the sad results, I took a paper towel and began wiping the fresh clear, knowing I'd have to strip it later anyway. To my surprise, a thin even layer of clear with very slight streaks was left...but pretty smooth for the most part. I figured it would not dry since the next day it was still a bit tacky and hadn't checked on it till now. Well, after 3 days it is fully cured now and other than the streaks, looks pretty good. I don't know if this is good news since the several test sprays (on other surfaces) done on different days are still fully wet. Besides, one shouldn't have to wipe clear off to get good results, right?

Thanks for your help! Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I use lacquer thinner for cleaning all of my stuff. Basically rinse the stuff with older thinner, and then when it looks clean, I use new thinner to make sure. The thinner shouldn't cause a problem. Washing the stuff with soap and water can cause problems, specially if it is a dish soap or laundry detergent. Many of the dishsoaps have stuff added to make your hands soft. Seen the commercials? The laundry detergents have stuff to make the clothes softer. You never can be sure that you got all of the soap off.

One thing that you can try to check the air supply. Take a piece of smooth material, preferrably painted. Put some water on it, and look at the way the water reacts. If it stays smooth on there, indicating that it is clean of all wax and oils, use that. Let it air dry. Then take your air hose and spray air at it for a couple of minutes. Then wet the panel again. Look at the panel while it is wet. Does it look the same, or have some strange spots, where the water is avoiding. Usually, if there is oil on a surface, the water will avoid that.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.