Problems with a painter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Problems with a painter

I have a friend that just opened his own bodyshop,, he plans on doing collision work as his main business, but also wants to do competes as well, so I had a agreement with him to paint a 36 chev that we have been working on for well over a year,, first of all ,, when we were about half way through the body work,, he says he wants to bring has painter over to feel the car, I told him we wern't ready for him to grope it right yet,, oh he just wants to see how you are coming along,, OK,, what ever turns you on,, he rubs his hand over bare filler that has just started to be worked with 36 grit, well this is a little rough he says,, but you are getting there, NO S%^t, come back when we are ready for your expert advice,, so this past week I called him and told him the car is ready,, we did all the body work, paint prep and now have it ready to shoot, we primed it , glide coated it 3 times, finish sand is 400, and it is so smooth that it shines, smooth as a babys butt, it has 21/2 gallons of k36 ppg primer on it, sanded between coats ,we spent many hours on this thing,, I call him up and ask if he is ready to shoot it,, well his painter needs to feel it up again,, OK, have at it,, this jerk comes to the shop and starts nitpicking it apart,, this ain't right that aint good enough, you need to fix this,, this is terrable,, it needs at least 2 more coats of primer and glidcoat,, B.S.about there I lost it,, I have been working on cars my whole life, we have built some 6 figure cars and won the grand national roadster show in class several times,, I think I know when a car is ready to paint,, what really showed his ignorance was the question " how far down on the firewall do you want the color?? HUHHH?? its obvious to me now that this guy has never done a complete,, he's a fender and bumper painter,,[ No offence to you collision guys " ] I turned and ask my friend that owns the shop where did you pick this guy up at,, " the unemployment office" Then the painter says that he doesn't want to paint the car,,its in too bad of shape,,, No Kidding,, well guess what? I don't intend to let you paint it, you would surely f&%K it up bad,, so I don't know if I have lost a friend over this deal,, but if he's stupid enough to believe that this guy is capable of doing a custom paint job,he better think again, Sorry about the rant guys,, I just had to vent a little,, Now I have to go find a good painter

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
how far down on the firewall do you want the color??
not all the way ... just paint the firewewall all the way down to the front seat retaining plates ...lol

see, now if your cars didnt have the flaws the painter found, youd be building 7 figure cars

6 figure cars are easy
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sounds to me like your friend really doesn't want to paint the car and is just using the painter as the scapegoat. Is your friend filled with collision work? If there's better/easier money to be made then maybe he just changed his mind. I'd be looking for different help, or paint it yourself. Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have a feeling the painter does not want the responsibility for painting the car. may be beyond his talent and has a boss telling him to paint it. i've rode both ends of that bull and it's not always what it seems.

Last edited by shine; 04-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Sounds to me like your friend really doesn't want to paint the car and is just using the painter as the scapegoat. Is your friend filled with collision work? If there's better/easier money to be made then maybe he just changed his mind. I'd be looking for different help, or paint it yourself. Bob
That old boy is scared to death!

He is doing you a favor as there is a big difference between someone that paints 8-10 spot repair jobs a day at a dealership and a custom painter.
Two different worlds altogether.

As much work as your putting into that car you owe it to yourself to find a painter that paints rides like yours, it will last longer and look better from the get-go.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

There should be a law ... ...
.whoever does the "bodywork" has to paint it.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
There should be a law ... ...
.whoever does the "bodywork" has to paint it.

Spoken like a true painter! LOL
Old 04-03-2006, 04:03 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Thats exactly my feelings on the deal,, I have the same feelings as Barry and shine do,, This painter hasn't wanted to work with us right from the get go, I tried to get paint samples from him so the owner could see a color combination , since he wants it 2 tone,, i made up some curved sample plates. primed them and had them ready so all he had to do was shoot some different color combos on them,, he put the same color on all 3. just a little pearl on 1 and 1 with no clear[ duh] and the 3rd just white, no contrasting colors at all.. so far this guy has cost my friend 3 jobs because he feels he isn't capable of doing the job,[ ,I think] and my friend just goes along with his idea of picking the car apart,, he might as well forget doing completes, I just don't appreciate him saying that ourwork isn't good enough for him to pint,,,Once when we were in his shop,, this painter was chomping on french fries while masking off a car,, does paint stick to mcdonalds grease??
But the good news is that I saved a bundle by swiching to gaico,, Not really,, but I did find a young man that does nothing but custom work and some beautiful paint work,, and is agreed to do the job,, I just have to wait a couple of weeks,, no biggy, Thanks for the input guys I just had a little fire burning that needed to be put out,, and my wife would have kicked my *** if I would have bit%4ed to her,,, Thats no fair MILO, , I would have painted it but we are in the midst of moving to a new shop and don't have a booth yet,, [ is that a good enough excuse,,,???
Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

this painter was chomping on french fries while masking off a car,, does paint stick to mcdonalds grease??

Yes, if he mixes his French fries with the paint, then I guess it would be compatible.

This gives a new meaning to the "fatty acids" sometimes used in paints.
LOL
Old 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Better that way anyhow, this way you don't lose a friendship over the paint job and it will turn out right. Do it yourself and if it doesn't turn out the way you want it, your the only one to blame, or at least find someone who has a good reputation and is more excited about the job. I agree with shine, whoever does the bodywork should be the one painting, but not going to see that in many collision shops these days or your average shop that will paint something that they didn't do the bodywork on. Too many people don't take the time to perfect the bodywork and call something ready when its not. I am not saying I don't think you got it good to go, bill, grampa, bad rat, or whatever your name is these days. But it is often the case when someone says the body is perfect and ready to paint, even if its a nothing special daily driver that doesn't have to be quite as perfect.
French fries mixed with paint, is that some new kind of fisheye elimanator. Isn't fisheye eliminator just silicone. I Never used it.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

In this area there appears to be a shortage of GOOD painters. There are alot of want-to-bees, but they are working in collision shops. The rare occasion that they get an allover, they show their true talent, or lack of. As has been pointed out, there is a big difference.

Aaron
Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 PM

custom painters

I don't remember when clint Eastwood said it---BUT A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW IS LIMITATIONS. I've had the pleasure of doing some trick work for some customers that had there cars preped by other people. The only thing I had hoped for was that there prep was done properly. It sounds like this guy was either to sacred or too dumb to admit that this might have been a little out of his league.Sounds like you are the lucky lotto winner that he's not doing your car.Good luck with the new guy.
Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Well have you every had a guy that work for ya and claim to be the best. but when you take in work its always something wrong with it. He has a little back round and convinces the boss he is the best thing sense sliced bread. As long as he has the boss ear he is alway going to be a problem. The only way you get rid of the guy is let him fk something up. then ya start hearing this was not right and that. then you know the guy is full of it.

I can't tell you how many time I have heard that and had people fk stuff up and cost me a ton of money.
And its true what they say if you want it done right do it your self.

Or when you start getting older like me and don't want to do everything its a real pain to find good people to trust with you stuff.

Craig
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Craig,

I laughed myself to death when I read that.
I just checked my cell phone and from 6:30 until 5 minutes ago I had 62 calls today and 90% were painters.
I most likely average meeting 500 or so painters a year that I did not know before.
The majority are great people but every once in a while you meet one like you pointed out.

If I could write enough to write a book it would be on that subject, not how to paint.

I have this theory when you tell me you have never had a screw up or you have been doing this 25 years and it works fine or the one I met two weeks that spent 20 minutes telling how great he was and how many show cars he had painted while I'm looking at the side of a truck wondering what type of brush he used.
Then when we went in office the owner says to the jobber, find me a painter before I go out of business because of redo's.

My all time favorite was 1985 I was with a jobber in Savannah and this body man has a brand new vette door covered with fiber glass (the whole skin)
The jobber insisted I explain to him how to fix that door. Well I was told real quick I have been doing this for 30 years and kiss my ===.
Six months latter the shop called because the whole thing was peeling like a band-aid wanting to know what to do.

Hire the painter that does not say much and says he can get by.
He will be your best painter.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Hire the painter that does not say much and says he can get by.
He will be your best painter.
Wow. You have just described the guy painting my car. I guess I did ok in my selection. After I explained what I wanted, he said "I can handle that for ya'". A very low key, matter of fact guy that I later found out through a friend, has painted many award winning and museum bound vehicles. He never bragged about any of his work to me. I have seen quite a few examples of his work and I consider myself very lucky.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.