Problems rebuilding 85 Iroc door hinges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Problems rebuilding 85 Iroc door hinges

Well I got my door off and the paint stripped .Then went to replace the pins and bushings and ran into a problem...First off the door side of the hinge is welded to the door,not a biggie but a bit of a pita..the main problem is the top hinge has two pins and they're a lot fatter than your normal pin and bushing,as expected they are unavailable from the parts stores and the dealer cant get them either so I had to figure out how to convert the hinge to the standaed GM pin & bushing...I figure the best way is to punch a plug the right size to fit in the bushing hole and drill it to the new size....so since theres no way to drill the new bushing hole in the welded on side of the hinge while its welded on the door and I'm NOT removing the hinge because of the time it'll take to drill out those 4 huge welds so I'll drill a hole into a 1/4" piece of steel first thats the right size for the new bushing then using a hydrallic press, punch out a blank that fits the old big bushing hole and it'll have the new hole already in it.then I'll weld it in...when I actually do it I'll take a few pics so you camaro guys can do a hinge rebuild using standard pins and bushings for 10.00 insted of having to buy a whole new hinge....

If any of you guys have ever done the pins & bushing on one of these and know an easier way or where to get these bushings Please let us know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

O'Reilly auto parts still has the whole kit on its web page

door hinge pins

Merry Christmas
The Following User Says Thank You to oldBodyman For This Useful Post:
deadbodyman (12-29-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Hinges and related parts, here, here and here.
I went for the greasable upper hinges.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I have opened up those holes with a rotary file before without a hitch. Just grind the hole open to the proper size and install the bushing.

Brian
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

To install the bushings you put a bolt thru the bushing with a washer on the top, put a socket over the other end against the hinge with the bolt going thru it and a washer and nut. Tighten the nut on the bolt and it pulls the bushing into place.

Brian
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman View Post
O'Reilly auto parts still has the whole kit on its web page

door hinge pins

Merry Christmas
Ah, now thats the one on the far left.I went to O'reillys first but the kid there wasnt much help first I had to explain what a hinge bushing was... being Christmas eve I guess the new guy was the one working...The comercial dept at advanced was closed so there was another automovive Einstine there that said if it aint hangin on the wall they dont carry it...
well this sure helpsand makes hings a lot easier, I'll just order it,I'll bring the lap top with me so they know it is available...Thanks OBM
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
To install the bushings you put a bolt thru the bushing with a washer on the top, put a socket over the other end against the hinge with the bolt going thru it and a washer and nut. Tighten the nut on the bolt and it pulls the bushing into place.

Brian
I tap them in with a small hammer and a piece of wood if they are tight ,usually they just press right in using your fingers if they're really wore out and the bushing hole is wore out then it gets a little complicated ,you have to use the ribbed ,oversized bushing and that involves plugging and\or redrilling the bushing hole ,on a welded hinge it aint easy,theres always something in the way.
These doors are a major PITA to get apart everything is ritited on so just getting the out took way longer than it should have. I sure am glad the pins and bushings are still available though ,I guess I gave up to easy after the dealer said they were discontinued...
Old 12-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Hinges and related parts, here, here and here.
I went for the greasable upper hinges.
Holly crap 106.00 to rebuil two hinges and they dont even include the roller and roller pin for the lower hinge...then wait a week for it to get here ...Now you know why I was going to convert it if I couldnt find the proper parts
Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I tap them in with a small hammer and a piece of wood if they are tight ,usually they just press right in using your fingers if they're really wore out and the bushing hole is wore out then it gets a little complicated ,you have to use the ribbed ,oversized bushing and that involves plugging and\or redrilling the bushing hole ,on a welded hinge it aint easy,theres always something in the way.
These doors are a major PITA to get apart everything is ritited on so just getting the out took way longer than it should have. I sure am glad the pins and bushings are still available though ,I guess I gave up to easy after the dealer said they were discontinued...
You can also weld up the worn side of the hole with a couple of tacks and then grind it to shape with a rotary file. Yeah I a made the mistake to change a pair of those weld on hinges on a Chevy truck once......never made that mistake again!

Brian

Brian
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 PM

The chevy trucks are another good example. I had one come in that got hit hard and folded the top hinge flat....I knew I didnt want to get involved in drilling out those monster plug welds so I dusted off the torches and heated it up and pulled it out nice and pretty I never thought the door would close right again but it worked great and pretty darn quick ,closed right first time...
I'd love to say it was my years of experiance but sometimes its just dumb luck, plain and simple...
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Ah, now thats the one on the far left.I went to O'reillys first but the kid there wasnt much help first I had to explain what a hinge bushing was... being Christmas eve I guess the new guy was the one working...The comercial dept at advanced was closed so there was another automovive Einstine there that said if it aint hangin on the wall they dont carry it...
well this sure helpsand makes hings a lot easier, I'll just order it,I'll bring the lap top with me so they know it is available...Thanks OBM
Oh boy am I an Idiot, its the pins on the far right not left...
Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Dont know if its the case with yours or not, but someone told me its generally the bushings on the bottom hinge that go bad first. You might get by with just replacing those... much easier
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Do some research, ask the GM dealer, I think there are two different sizes of bushing.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Yes there are, I actually have a couple at work.

Brian
Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
Dont know if its the case with yours or not, but someone told me its generally the bushings on the bottom hinge that go bad first. You might get by with just replacing those... much easier
actually the door has to come off anyway (weldedhinges).so even if one hinge was still good (which isnt the case ) I'd still rebuild both...its like installing a clutch without a new pressure plate.The bottom hinge pin is ez to get I did order the new top pins and it was a big help having the part #....

Well stupid me since I had to stop work on the pins till the new ones came inI flipped the door over and coninued work on the skin ,there was some filler still on there that I wanted to grind outand what I thought was a thin layer turned out to be 3/4 " thick and right under the reinforcement bar so I couldn't see any holes from the dent pullerso I went and got another door from the Upull it yard,its almost perfect but the hinges are are really wore out so even if I use the new pins and bushings I'll have to go back to my original plan of of filling the hinge hole and making a new one... pics are coming

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.