problems removing leaf spring brakets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

problems removing leaf spring brakets

so i have an 81 Firebird that i am trying to install a set of shackles in the rear. right now its sitting on air shocks and thats what it keeping the fenders off the rear tires. been told that its really not good to have the body held up by the shocks. anyway so i bought a set of shackles off Ebay and went to install them the other day and i tried for almost an 2 hours to get the bolts out. i dont have a torch so cutting it out for me is not an option. and there isnt enough room between the brackets and quarter panel to get a good whack at it with a hammer....i know its a shot in the dark but i know someone has had this problem before, anyone have any advice for me??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Longer shackles are a problem in themselves. Look at any of the sixties and seventies cars. Usually the lift you get settles down to near original with time and shackles cause handling problems if no rear centering bar is used..
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I would go with a different tire and wheel combo if i was you. JMO
I wouldn't use shackles But thats just me i use to though but that was back in the day as already stated. The right tire size and the right offset wheel is what you need. IMHO

Cole
Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

i dont really have the funds to get a whole new set of wheels and tires. nor can i get a new set of leaf springs. and i have had no luck in finding a local shop that can recurve my springs. the rear tires are 295/50R15 and are 12" wide. to keep them from rubbing when accelerating or turning i have to have at least 50 psi in the shocks, and the ride is terribly unforgiving.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
More for Less Racer

Without a torch to melt the rubber, you may be at this forever. The problem is that the thru-bolts have rusted and rust-swelled into the rubber. About the only other choice is to grind or cut the heads and nuts off the bolts with a grinder, or cut through the bolts with a Sawzall.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.