problems with running my supercharged 351w - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You need to install a small vacuum check ( inline one way vacuum check valve)
in line on the vac line from intake manifold to the carb. This one way check valve prevents manifold boost ,,, or a back fire in the intake manifold from acting on the power valves.
These small simple vacuum line one way check valves are very common on emissions control vacuum lines like the EGR system old Fords of the 1970's era. Like a 1979 Granada.
Like a (american) Ford Granada or Monarch. Junk yard or new replacement.
Old chryslers had these also. Anything with a carb/smog controls and vacuum controled A/C had these.

They keep the now boost referenced power valve from busting from a backfire or manifold boost.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
mustang 671 (05-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

hi all . thanks for the info f bird . will get some measuring done next weekend on the carbs and post . yes I did also block the vacuum hole (in the base of the carb that leads to pv chamber within the carb body.)

ok so the car passed the mot and I went for a slow drive . all seemed well !! I have a guy who has a engine dyno but not a rolling road dyno which is a pain . so the only guys near me are 1 half hr away who have a rolling dyno, so I have had this guy ( who has the engine dyno ) to look over the engine while im running around slowly, and again all seemed ok .

I then read the plugs and 5 and 6 are oiled up !!! not good ah ?? so I have done a compression test and its down on those 2x cylinders numbers 5 and 6 . I have spoken with my friend ( who is a engine builder ) and he said as the engine has been standing for 5 odd years the head gasket or inlet manifold gasket could of failed ?? so I have took the head off and the gasket seems ok . but I have water in the oil . not good !!

so as I haven't loaded up the engine with any boost etc or driven any miles . approx. 4 miles . I have decided to pull the engine ( as it will only take 4 hrs now as one side is torn down anyway ) and do a couple of bits of machining that have always got on my nervs . and also polish the charger now the car is legal on the road

so some questions I need answering if anyone can help ? ( plugs read fine before this. nice and light brown )

inlet manifold is black and inlet ports to the heads ? run my finger on it and seems carboned up . more to the back pair. I am worried that I have the roller rockers adjusted wrong ?? this guy I know states you guys are lazy and shouldn't use hydraulic lifters with adjustable roller rockers ? however I was advised to use this set up . when they were adjusted we ordered ( first ) a adjustable push rod then ordered the nearest length to that ! what I didn't do was check again once oil pressure was achieved . so he states ( you lot are lazy ) and I should buy a set of solid lifters ?? what's your views ?? I don't want to have to buy some if I can use what I have

the rear of the inlet manifold plate ( which is what the blower sits on ) shows small signs of leaking , so I am going to get the inlet manifold plate grooved and o ringed , but will check for machined flat face on both manifold and bottom face of blower .

blower vanes look fine . no scores etc. run smooth .
so I am glad I am doing this as I can get my engine dyned before I fit it back which is ideal for me.
i am also going to check bearings and also kb pistons and rings. now that its been running for a bit .

my thoughts are as its only going to cost me a gasket set that I would check everything after I have ran the engine for a short while and also as there was trace of water in oil and previous I suspected some bore wash .

what else should I look for ? piston ring gap at different stages down the bore ? piston to bore gap ? would you recommend on setting up hydraulic lifters with adj roller rockers ?

sorry for all the questions . going to be doing all of this over the next 2 weeks then engine off to engine dyno .
also what can you recommended for setting up roller rockes and valves , lash , etc.

I have stainless steel crowler adj roller rockers
hardened push rods
edlebrock victor jr heads
hydraulic lifters
crane supercharger grind cam for street use .

we will also do test runs with and without water methanol injection to compare advantages and disadvantages.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
You need to install a small vacuum check ( inline one way vacuum check valve)
in line on the vac line from intake manifold to the carb. This one way check valve prevents manifold boost ,,, or a back fire in the intake manifold from acting on the power valves.
These small simple vacuum line one way check valves are very common on emissions control vacuum lines like the EGR system old Fords of the 1970's era. Like a 1979 Granada.
Like a (american) Ford Granada or Monarch. Junk yard or new replacement.
Old chryslers had these also. Anything with a carb/smog controls and vacuum controled A/C had these.

They keep the now boost referenced power valve from busting from a backfire or manifold boost.
great advise . didn't think of that . my carbs did have the backfire protection check ball in the base . so now I know they are the more modern type
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

hi all. just about to order up my headgaskets . what's a good on nowadays ? hi had "felpro" on it before. I have looked on here and "mls" is mentioned ??
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

hi all . been a while what with holiday etc. well I had a water problem between the head and inlet manifold and worked out where it was coming in. but that is the least of my worries. I have been a silly billy . as my engine stood for a while inbetween re-build and finishing the shell. I should of took out the cam and made sure it had break in lube etc. so when we went to start we primed etc and did all we could and thought we broke the cam in correctly- 20 mins 2000rpm. but unfortunately It didn't. so cam and lifters are trashed. apparently it happens a lot ???

so I have took the motor out. its all been cleaned stripped. honed and oil ways steam jetted etc. crank re grind all new bearings. luckily rings and pistons ok under magnifine glass. and bores ok after rehone .

so I need advise on what cam and what lifters to go for.

f bird said I was choking this poor motor

I had a crane cam 444551 before with hyd lifters which was a flat tappet cam

I have been on to comp cams and they have recommended either roller or flat tappet cam with grind numbers of

224 lift of 555
236 lift of 570 roller cam

224 lift of 510
236 lift of 523 flat tappet

both with lobe separation of 114

any advise.??

I don't want some nasty lumpy unusable motor. this is a street car. but don't mind a bit lumpy idle just not to mad

9-11 psi boost. 3.5 rear gears. 2400 torque converter. car weighs around 1800kg . rear 325 tyres

they say to get a spider holder retro kit for the roller cam and that the roller cam is better on ramp up !

cheers all
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Flat tappet street mechanical sweet street blower can Crane F278-2 crane#363841 (Uses the 302W fireing order)

Street mechanical roller cam )SR "Street Roller" Crane SR-238/350-2S-12 crane#368511 (Uses Fords 302W firing order.
Ask Crane Cams tech about grinding this profile on a 2 piece billet roller camshaft core with the pressed on cast iron cam gear
(Street Roller w cast gear) (I believe all you have to do is request it when ordering)
Contact Crane Cams directly if you need technical assistance.

These are both sweet street blower cams that will make real good power in your huffed 351w.

(The cams you are looking at are essentually the same as your old Crane hyd cam. Which is/was ok, but...
Both these Crane street blower cams are more powerfull, especially with the blower)

It is very easy to setup and maintain the valve lash of both these street mechanicals
I recommend you set it "cold" about .004" tigher than the "hot lash" spec.

Superior performance and power compared to a HYD cam.

Crane Cams | Automotive Home Page

Chase Knight or one of his Crane Tech Elves will get you all set up.

Flat tappet cams: This time put some Crane or isky moly paste on the cam lobes.
I use this stuff in my engine oil too.
Molyslip Canada Inc. :: Molybdenum Lubricants, Performance Lubricants, Copaslip Anti-Seize, EP2 Grease, Wear Reducing Lubricants, Oil Additive Moly Slip E Does more than just help prevent new cam lobe lifter scuffing.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
mustang 671 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Blown 502

Last photo:

Whassup 671
Been a while since I checked in and holy nightmare, I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you had and now the motor
In any case the Stang looks INSANE and will be so BAD ***** when your done that it's all worth it. If you knew then what you know now it may have been cheaper to buy a Jegs 408 cu in 351W, they have some killer deals on some real nice built 351W's and all the parts are matched for optimal performance.

Hey BTW I got rid of my Supercharged 351W Lightning and replaced it with a pretty insane 418 cu in 351W Ranger. Took it to Atco 2 weeks ago and ran 10.61 & 10.66 first time out in 90 degree heat It's pretty insane, 13.2:1 Compression, Canfield Heads, Solid Roller Set Up with Stud Girdles, Reverse Manual C4 with a Transbrake, 5500 RPM Stall, 4.88 Gears, goes over the traps at just about 8000 RPM @126 MPH.

Another words IT'S A LOT OF FUN

Hope things work out for you Bro, the season is upon us. Had the Sierra at a Car Show tonight and the outcome was insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to ProStreetRob For This Useful Post:
mustang 671 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Flat tappet street mechanical sweet street blower can Crane F278-2 crane#363841 (Uses the 302W fireing order)

Street mechanical roller cam )SR "Street Roller" Crane SR-238/350-2S-12 crane#368511 (Uses Fords 302W firing order.
Ask Crane Cams tech about grinding this profile on a 2 piece billet roller camshaft core with the pressed on cast iron cam gear
(Street Roller w cast gear) (I believe all you have to do is request it when ordering)
Contact Crane Cams directly if you need technical assistance.

These are both sweet street blower cams that will make real good power in your huffed 351w.

(The cams you are looking at are essentually the same as your old Crane hyd cam. Which is/was ok, but...
Both these Crane street blower cams are more powerfull, especially with the blower)

It is very easy to setup and maintain the valve lash of both these street mechanicals
I recommend you set it "cold" about .004" tigher than the "hot lash" spec.

Superior performance and power compared to a HYD cam.

Crane Cams | Automotive Home Page

Chase Knight or one of his Crane Tech Elves will get you all set up.

Flat tappet cams: This time put some Crane or isky moly paste on the cam lobes.
I use this stuff in my engine oil too.
Molyslip Canada Inc. :: Molybdenum Lubricants, Performance Lubricants, Copaslip Anti-Seize, EP2 Grease, Wear Reducing Lubricants, Oil Additive Moly Slip E Does more than just help prevent new cam lobe lifter scuffing.
thanks f bird.

so is it a flat tappet cam or a roller cam ? the comp cam guy said the roller provides more power ? I haven't a clue on the cam side of things. will get in touch with crane . I heard they went bust ??? also I don't want some lumpy thing. hope its not too wild and a pig to drive until higher revs ?

cheers
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

No, Crane Cams is alive and well. Was bought by S&S Cycle and reborn.
The F278-2 is a mechanical flat tappet on a blower friendly 114 LSA. The other Crane SR-238/350-2S-12 crane#368511 is a same duration on 112LSA cool Mechanical street roller.. Both are very "streetable" cams
more power and rpm than what you had, but still tame enough for very enjoyable driving/cruising.
The blower tends to tame the nature of a said cam grind.
These are not "wild race cams" by any means. These are high perf street cams. With the blower the power will be right there as soon as you jump on it, and won't wimper out prematurely. Really let the blower do its stuff on the street.

If I was going to do a Comp "SR" street roller it would be a custom blower friendly grind based on the extreme energy street roller mechanical lobes very similar to the Crane Cams SR, I suggested.
Whether flat tappet or roller, I recomend a solid (mechanical) set up.

The Crane Cams are ready to rock, blower friendly, off the shelf cams.
Weather you go for the flat tappet, or swing for the street roller, either are going to out perform the old cam and the choices you have looked at, in this street blower motor.
Getting the camshaft right is critical.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-09-2013 at 01:51 PM.
mustang 671 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
No, Crane Cams is alive and well. Was bought by S&S Cycle and reborn.
The F278-2 is a mechanical flat tappet on a blower friendly 114 LSA. The other Crane SR-238/350-2S-12 crane#368511 is a same duration on 112LSA cool Mechanical street roller.. Both are very "streetable" cams
more power and rpm than what you had, but still tame enough for very enjoyable driving/cruising.
The blower tends to tame the nature of a said cam grind.
These are not "wild race cams" by any means. These are high perf street cams. With the blower the power will be right there as soon as you jump on it, and won't wimper out prematurely. Really let the blower do its stuff on the street.

If I was going to do a Comp "SR" street roller it would be a custom blower friendly grind based on the extreme energy street roller mechanical lobes very similar to the Crane Cams SR, I suggested.
Whether flat tappet or roller, I recomend a solid (mechanical) set up.

The Crane Cams are ready to rock, blower friendly, off the shelf cams.
Weather you go for the flat tappet, or swing for the street roller, either are going to out perform the old cam and the choices you have looked at, in this street blower motor.
Getting the camshaft right is critical.
ok and I agree . from the limited amount I know of cams its clearly what opens and closes the valves which is crucial. I need to check what springs came with my edelbrock victor junior heads ( there are 2x springs to each). they are the 62cc heads I am sure of . I expect the valve springs will work with this type cam as they are performance heads ? but will double check with the company I bought them from.

yes I did hear that crane where bought out by another company and glad to also hear they are trading.

so I was told if I go for roller then I wouldn't have to run in the cam like a flat tappet and if I wanted to change the cam at a latter date then I wouldn't have to change the roller hydraulic lifters ?

now that's a funny thing you say about going for a solid lifter instead of a hydraulic !! tell me why you prefer ?? again I have been told by this race guy that he also prefers solid lifters but it would be more for race application's as they would need adjusting a lot more and would be a lot nosier ? ( not sure over the blower whine ? )

what's the pros and for with solid and hydraulic ?

thanks F BIRD
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

I have heard its better to go with a 114 lobe separation cam ? is that what you mean by 114 lsa ?

my firing order is different to those ones you have listed ( thanks for stating that ) so I take it I just programme my ecu to fire that sequence instead of 13726548 for mine.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

am sure my heads are the 60cc ones and they say max lift is .650 . so sounds ok .
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The short answer is the solid cam is more better.. No you don;t need to adjust the lash all the time.
I does need simple periodic lash adjustment thou. once twice a year is good.
No they are not "noisey"... In fact I bet when correctly adjusted (set lash "cold" .004" tighter, than cam card spec, using the IC EO method) the Crane solid cam or Crane SR street roller cam will run quieter than the Comp Hyd cams you are looking at.
They have a very slight cool mechanical should at idle, but are not "noisey"
The blower and exhaust will cover all other engine sound.

You can google research the power and rpm benefits of a mechanical cam your self.

Dual valve springs are recomended. The seat and open pressures are on the Crane cam cards.
Not that hard. More,better.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
mustang 671 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Some research reading for you.
Engine Tech: Flat-tappet Lifters Still Viable in Performance Engines - Dragzine
mustang 671 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

thanks f bird. that really helped !!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.