Problems with Speed Pro rings??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 PM
www.bigblock67chevelle.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with Speed Pro rings???

I mentioned this in a differant thread. I'm haveing problems with blowby on my freshly rebuilt 396 .090 over. I'm in the process of tearing it down. I got one head off yesterday. I found some mild scratches in a few cylnders. AYNWAY..to the point of this post. I stoppd by a machine shop Friday and asked for some prices. I got to talking with the machinist and he told me they had a 396 with a blowby problem in the shop that was driving them crazy. They used Speed Pro Moly (which is what I used), and Plasma Moly rings and both were giveing them a fit. Is anyone else haveing a problem or even heard of something simaliar?

Advertisement

Last edited by Bad Rat 414; 09-18-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

did you do a cylinder leak down test? are you 100% sure it is a ring problem? scratches in fresh cylinder walls could either be a dirt problem during assembly or a piston clearence problem. I suggest you measure all of the bores to make sure they are correct and also measure all of the pistons. buy your new set of rings a few thousandts larger and file fit each one. ring blowby has to be a clearence problem.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

I'm sure there is no dirt in the assembley of this engine. I had it bored and I'm wondering if it was a machineing problem that caused my blowby. I was at differant machine shop discusing pricing on checking the cylnders and honing when I came across the Speed Pro question.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

I have used speed pro rings on many many engines and never had a problem.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

i JUST used a set of moly top speedpro sealed power rings on my 350 std. bore and they have been great so far. From what ive heard and seen, they are a great quality ring, or atleast as good as any other out there. And the plasma molys are even better.

How are you measuring blowby? Leakdown? Oil comsumption? Blue smoke? Pressure out of the valve covers?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
i JUST used a set of moly top speedpro sealed power rings on my 350 std. bore and they have been great so far. From what ive heard and seen, they are a great quality ring, or atleast as good as any other out there. And the plasma molys are even better.

How are you measuring blowby? Leakdown? Oil comsumption? Blue smoke? Pressure out of the valve covers?
Oil blowing out of the valve cover and running down the side, plugging the oil fill hole and removing my finger and listen to the compression blow out.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Curious as to what heads you are using and the lift of the cam...? I may have a solution to your problem but need this information...?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

This build is useing a smaller cam on the same heads. I didn't have this problem on the last build. The cam is a Compition Cams 286 H, 556 lift on intake and exhaust. The heads are cast iron closed chamber 96.4cc.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

K... The thing I wanted to know is about the lift on the cam and the height of the valve guides... The reason is if the retainers come down far enough they will smash and split the umbrella seals which will cause some slight blow by... I assume your using 1.7 ratio rockers also...? I had made the mistake of using 1.8`s and had to much lift and was having this same problem...

I also wonder...? Who built the short block and were the ring end gaps checked properly...? Also noticed a .090 over bore...? I know they have .070 and .080-.100 but just never have noticed any at that over bore...? (I have a set of .070 13 to 1`s)
Old 09-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

sounds like a ventilation problem, how is the crankcase vented?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

I built the short block, one of many I've built. I didn't check the end gap (I know I screwed up). I had faith in the machine shop. The crankcase is vented with a PCV valve and a breather oil cap. I used Crane Cams valve guide seals. They have a spring clip on them and the head must be machined for them to fit. The rockers are 1.7 Long slot Chevrolet rockers. As far as the bore goes. it's .090 or look at it this way, a 402 is a 396 0.030 over so a 402. .060 over is a 396 .090 over. I used 402 .060 pistons.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

I understand on the .060 over 402... (not a bad idea)

If you have the heads off you might be able with a bright light look down into the bore(s) and possibly see the ring end gap and it might help with finding the problem...? I had a friend a long time ago basicly hone the crude out of a std. 402 block and put the std. pistons and new std. rings back in but did not check the gap and it had blow by and used oil rather severely... Compression was good but oil control sucked...
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

About all you can do is tear it down the rest of the way and inspect all of the parts, have the bores and pistons measured and buy some new rings and gaskets. Rings are the only thing that can create blowby problems, if it were a valve seal issue it would just burn oil-with no blowby past the rings.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Bob... hate to dissagree but having first hand experience with the problem I mentioned a few post earlier a BBC can have a blow by indication with the valve seals either split or just gone... May not be the case with SBC`s but does hold true on a BBC but yes they also tend to use oil also...
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 AM

how is your engine vented?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.