Problems with SPI white sealer?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with SPI white sealer??

Hey Guys, I am painting a 59 el camino (see my album). My question is this. I am getting very small specs of somthing in the sealer. It looks like fine dirt, however it is white in color an is so even I know I am spraying it on. Before you say, talk to Barry.... trust me I have. (he probably hates me by now). I thought it was mosture, I bought a 3 stage devilbiss air dryer, new hoses. And still have the problem in the sealer. It will scuff out and cover fine. I am hot having issues with the base or clear. (I love the Universal Clear). But I have done the underside of the hood several small parts and it needs scuffed!!!! I am at the end of my rope with the epoxy sealer. It was shipped in cold weather and may have "come out of suspension" I know it is not a huge deal to order more if that corrects my problem, my concern is that Barry stated white is bad for this due to its heavy pigments and that epoxy products are dirty by nature. He sugested I use finer strainers. I used 4 stacked together and it did not help much. I do not want to buy more product if it will not cure the issue. (already have a 1/2 gal to throw out). I just need to know if others have had this problem with epoxy. This is my first time using SPI or epoxy sealer. Ive used acrylic sealer in the past with much better luck. And I grew up in a bodyshop and have done this enough to know there is a learning curve. But I need a little feed back fom others who have more experiance with this product. Is it normal to need to scuff this product? What is the advantage of epoxy sealer over acrylic? Would I be better off to use this as primer and sand with 400 wet and base direct over it after it is out of the recoat window? Need your help (And maybe some moral support) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Well, we just figured out a couple of weeks ago that some of the gray, white and black have a pigment kick out from the high amount of zinc added back in December, My apology's but although this was going on perhaps since Dec it was not happening with every gallon so a lot of assumption was it was caused by freezing in shipping a normal winter time deal every year.

The problem was discovered by accident a couple of weeks ago when I was testing for something else, corrected and I pulled all from the WH Monday and they have the replacements except for the white. could be out of the white until we get moved in to new building and set to go around 1st week of month.
Call Baker for a replacement 1-800-476-3006.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Barry and his Zinc....He's actually trying to make their epoxy better and had a little issue. Not like it needs improving but he's a man on a mission.
This was discussed on their web board in the Epoxy forum.
Show me where ANY major is discussing a problem much less owning up to it.
He's got it figured out and will "fix" your issue.
Check their web board and you'll likely get an answer to your current problem,which is a simple fix for now.
Yeah Barry, I'm still gonna call ya.Hehehehe.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

update on this.....

Just wanted to post an udate.. I pm'd Barry and he explained to me what was happening. He is one H*** of a stand up guy. Actually cares, works with you to get a resolution to a problem. I am a first time customer, I have never seen customer service to this level in the paint industry. In my 15 years at it.f As with anything, there are differences in his products to the other top brands. But service is getting harder to find nowadays and this is where SPI is HANDS DOWN better than the competetors. And way better price. Wanted all that may be considering using SPI to take into consideration what the service behind the product is worth. If your seasoned painter and like the products you currently use great! But if you are a newb and are going to suffer the "learning curve" I mentioned earlier. Good products with great service is hard to compete with at any price.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.