Problems starting fresh engine up for first time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Problems starting fresh engine up for first time

ok so today i was trying to fire up the motor for the first time been stressing hard for a couple hours NOW ok so every time i crank it its back firing no matter how i turn the distributor retard or advance it back fires and carb goes in flames the motor is a sbc 350 turned 383 the thing is it has domed pistons should be at 11 something with the compression the fire order i have now is 18436572 can any one please shine the light on me i am seriously going to set this ****ing motor on fire i know im probably missing some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandprixsniper View Post
ok so today i was trying to fire up the motor for the first time been stressing hard for a couple hours NOW ok so every time i crank it its back firing no matter how i turn the distributor retard or advance it back fires and carb goes in flames the motor is a sbc 350 turned 383 the thing is it has domed pistons should be at 11 something with the compression the fire order i have now is 18436572 can any one please shine the light on me i am seriously going to set this ****ing motor on fire i know im probably missing some info
Plug wires mixed up, or dist off 180
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM

i doubt it because before i had the distributor pointing at cylinder 1 at tdc
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
i doubt it because before i had the distributor pointing at cylinder 1 at tdc
And where were your cam and crank dots situated when you installed it pointing at #1?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The tdc mark can indicate tdc power or turn another 360 for tdc exhaust.

You want the rotor pointing to number 1 on cap tdc compression. Both valves closed.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I'm going to give you the best advise yet.This is without a shadow of doubt a timing issue.Unless your willing to accept the help given.................what's the point??.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
Richiehd (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Problems starting fresh engine up for first time

thegrandprixsniper, The best thing to do is to start over and find TDC. Pull the drivers side valve cover so you can watch the intake and exhaust valve on #1 cylinder. Like stated before when the line on the harmonic balancer is lined up with 0 on the scale both valves will be in the closed position. Remember when installing the timing chain gear set you set the crank dot at the 12:00 position and the camshaft dot at the 6:00 position. The #6 cylinder is ready to fire so drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to #6 spark plug wire on the cap. You can also turn the crank one revolution where the crank dot and the camshaft dot are at the 12:00 position and drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to #1 spark plug wire on the cap.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 PM

thanks allot for the replys and yes the marks one the timing gears where pointed at each other at 6 and 12 o clock position but im just going to start from the beginning and watch for the valves and re do the dist again but seriously thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 PM

To make it easier, if you are pulling the distributor out anyway, slip the dist cap onto the body and line up the No. 1 plug tower straight down to the dist body and put a black felt mark at that spot. Then after the cap is off transfer that mark to the top of the edge of the dist body. That way when you drop the dist back in you are able to line up the rotor with the mark once the distributor is fully seated. If you would like a little advance set into the dist rather then TDC, at this point you can turn the engine to lets say 8 to 10 BTDC for example and set the felt mark on the dist to line up with the rotor, and then snug down the clamp. Retrace all wires again just to make sure nothing was overlooked and you have a couple of wires crossed etc

It might not hurt to have a fire extinguisher sitting there at the ready too as per your last fiery attempts !
Old 04-06-2013, 12:58 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Why pull the distributor? Just relocate the wires on the cap its easy and quick! #1 doesn't need to be in any specific spot! The # 1 plug wire only needs to be where the rotor is pointing at when #1 cylinder is at compression TDC!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 04-06-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM

You have a very good point there Jester !, I am now more used to an engine where everything is made to be in a particular spot because of all the rear high tension lead wiring harness clips behind the engine and doing that once is bad enough LOL. A wires over the valve cover traditional style engine compartment is so much easier to work on.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks allot for the replys and yes the marks one the timing gears where pointed at each other at 6 and 12 o clock position but im just going to start from the beginning and watch for the valves and re do the dist again but seriously thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes
Yeah...you are 180 out. Pull plug #1 bump starter over until you feel compression come up. Turn to timing mark TDC, drop dist. in on #1. Every first timer on this site has made that mistake.....once.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Cam and crank dots must both be at 12 o'clock to stab distributor with rotor pointing at #1

Tags
problem

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.