problems starting - trying to troubleshoot - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Let me guess...... after it starts and warms up a bit, it'll idle about 1100 and do about 35 - 40 mph with out your foot on the gas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Let me guess...... after it starts and warms up a bit, it'll idle about 1100 and do about 35 - 40 mph with out your foot on the gas?
No sorry i may have wrote something wrong.
It idles about 600-700 or so, then climbs above 1000, sometimes up to 1400 until i tap on the gas then it'll drop again... i dont know if this is normal or not but its always been like that.

The main thing its doing now is when I drive it's not just hesitating when i accelerate, but its stalling out as well. If I stop on the side of the road and put it in neutral or park, it'll stop from dying on me, but if i just keep driving it feels like it's too much or not enough fuel. Maybe I can take a video of it to show you.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

man i feel like an idiot haha

Found one of the problems... the 12v power going to the electric choke was hooked up to some random wire under the dash that was only providing 6v of power for some reason, which may have been even less since i think it was a wire from the radio.. I spliced into the HEI power and it is running fine now.

So, at last... it is running fine again, however, still the problem exists that it may not start up on me some time again... which i believe may still be the carb flooding, which i've read the manuals online and it tells me how to adjust the float level, which i may try one day when its not snowing/raining... damn washington weather.

If i have this problem of it not starting again i'll post under "engine" instead of "electrical".
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered Looser

Last journal entry: Background: why I am here
Last photo:

Problem with intermittently not starting when hot could be an HEI coil-in-cap issue.

As far as your choke wiring, do not share 12v off the power wire from the coil, run an independent wire to the choke, which BTW, is what is "causing" your vehicle to start up and idle up to 1400rpm - once you flash the throttle it goes back to normal idle after you have disengaged the choke - this is normal.

As far as the pic of the plug, do all plugs look like that? I would almost hazard a guess that your running very rich and possibly have your plugs cross wired
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Where would you suggest I run the wire from the choke to? Should I run it off the "i" post of the remote solenoid (or starter solenoid)?

I havent checked all the plugs, just two of them, and they look like that. I'm probably going to get new plugs drive it for a few days and check again to see how they look. What do you suggest?
Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 AM

Last photo:

I've got very similar symptoms on my E-Brock 600 cfm, I’ve adjusted the idle screws to about ¼ turn from bottomed and it has helped, I too had a random wire to the choke, which I rerouted to a switched 12v from the ing switch, now it Idles with the lope I like and doesn’t idle at 35-40 mph etc…..

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.