Problems with timing curve - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with timing curve

My HEI advance seems to be a light switch, on or off. No gradual advance.

I had been using 2 medium Mr. Gasket springs. With those advance began at 2,000 RPM's and was all in by 2,500 RPM's.

Next I bought the Crane adjustable vacuum advance can (not hooked up yet), but I am using the springs in that kit. The recommended starting point was 1 light spring and 1 medium spring. This seems even worse. Advance starts at 1,500 RPM's and is all in by 1,800 RPM's.

What is the deal? Are the weights too light?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
My HEI advance seems to be a light switch, on or off. No gradual advance.

I had been using 2 medium Mr. Gasket springs. With those advance began at 2,000 RPM's and was all in by 2,500 RPM's.

Next I bought the Crane adjustable vacuum advance can (not hooked up yet), but I am using the springs in that kit. The recommended starting point was 1 light spring and 1 medium spring. This seems even worse. Advance starts at 1,500 RPM's and is all in by 1,800 RPM's.

What is the deal? Are the weights too light?
The springs control and counter the centrifugal weight of the fly weights. For a given fly weight's weight a softer spring allows it fly outward (which takes the advance plate with it) sooner and further. A heavier spring slows this action.

The use of dual spring allows a careful trimming of the amount and rate of advance.

The use of vacuum advance adds to the complexity as it is designed to add advance when cruising at moderate RPMs with little throttle opening. The throttle position of nearly closed results in a low density mixture which burns slowly, so that demand for more burn time is provided by starting the burn earlier. One needs to be careful of where the centrifugal advance starts coming in and by how much as the addition of vacuum advance can push the engine into detonation.

For a race engine more advance sooner is usually desired, but a street engine is a more complex problem where too much vacuum advance with too much centrifigual has to be avoided. So you will need to tune around their characteristics to get the best advance for economy and power at partial throttle cruise while achieving a smooth transition as the throttle is opened and the manifold vacuum thus this advance decreases all the while the RPMs are coming up so the centrifugal is comming in.

You can't really trim this till the vacuum advance is installed. For springs you will need to go with how the engine is reacting rather than the spring makers recommendations as those are just a starting point. Lacking the vacuum advance unless the engine detonates, you would want the centrifugal advance to come all in by 2000 RPM for best economy and torque since there is no vacuum advance right now to cover the cruise RPM and light throttle condition.

Bogie
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
The springs control and counter the centrifugal weight of the fly weights. For a given fly weight's weight a softer spring allows it fly outward (which takes the advance plate with it) sooner and further. A heavier spring slows this action.

The use of dual spring allows a careful trimming of the amount and rate of advance.

The use of vacuum advance adds to the complexity as it is designed to add advance when cruising at moderate RPMs with little throttle opening. The throttle position of nearly closed results in a low density mixture which burns slowly, so that demand for more burn time is provided by starting the burn earlier. One needs to be careful of where the centrifugal advance starts coming in and by how much as the addition of vacuum advance can push the engine into detonation.

For a race engine more advance sooner is usually desired, but a street engine is a more complex problem where too much vacuum advance with too much centrifigual has to be avoided. So you will need to tune around their characteristics to get the best advance for economy and power at partial throttle cruise while achieving a smooth transition as the throttle is opened and the manifold vacuum thus this advance decreases all the while the RPMs are coming up so the centrifugal is comming in.

You can't really trim this till the vacuum advance is installed. For springs you will need to go with how the engine is reacting rather than the spring makers recommendations as those are just a starting point. Lacking the vacuum advance unless the engine detonates, you would want the centrifugal advance to come all in by 2000 RPM for best economy and torque since there is no vacuum advance right now to cover the cruise RPM and light throttle condition.

Bogie
So do all HEI's go to full centrifugal advance all at once? I was under the impression they would gradually advance.

Until I get the mechanical advance figured out I am holding off the vacuum can...one change at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timing.png
Views:	35
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	75774  
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
So do all HEI's go to full centrifugal advance all at once? I was under the impression they would gradually advance.

Until I get the mechanical advance figured out I am holding off the vacuum can...one change at a time.
No at least for a street application the OEM HEI brings the advance in pretty slowly starting about 1000 RPM with everything in by 3000.

To trim this with the Mr. Gasket kit, (assuming the 3 spring kit) you will have to try combinations of springs as not all HEIs use the same weight of counterweights (there should be a part number stamped on them).

The fast and short curve your seeing would be for a large cammed engine where there is a lot of base timing combined with a high idle. The remaining curve is then timed to come in quickly and be complete by 2000 RPM.

To slow this down and spread the timing out will take heavier springs or lighter counter-weights.

You also need to check the advance cam and counter-weights for cleanliness, burrs on the parts, and condition of the posts, bushings, and wear pads to inside smooth operation that doesn't get hung up.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.