Procedure to remove rear axles? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Procedure to remove rear axles?

I have a 1973 Javelin with a 232 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual transmission, and manual brakes. Recently the rear axle has developed a slight roar, and when I spin the axles by hand they feel a little ruff. I will need to pull the rear axles and replace the bearings and seals. I have a press to remove and install the bearings.

Can anyone walk me thru this procedure, tell me about any special tools required, and any problems I might encounter? Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
This is a hard job,(getting them apart) Is your press about 20 ton?
Do you have a hub puller?
Hub pullers, I used the first two.
http://www.pronto.com/user/search.do...88396103&site=
AMC web site/about doing the bearings.
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251061755
New bolt-in forged axles.
http://www.amx-perience.com/amx-ente...orgedAxles.htm
Good luck,
Rich
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The "tool" I used many times in the junk yard was a 6' length of chain. Double it, w/a knot towards the middle, the two loose ends get lug nutted to the axle's lugs, then the chain is 'whipped' (kind of like cracking a whip, underhanded) to act as a slide hammer to unseat the bearings.

Worked better for me than using an old brake hub, reversed, etc.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Removing the axles-shafts on an AMC is actually pretty easy. What people are talking about is the fact that the axles are two-piece with the hub being pressed on the axles-shaft.

The shafts aren't held in with C-clips or anything. To remove the shafts as one unit (not take the hub off the axles), pull the drum, then remove the four bolts that hold the backing plate to the axle tube (you can pull the brake guts if you want, but I don't think you HAVE to). Then, turn the drum around and put it back on the wheel studs being held on loosely by a few of the lug nuts. Use the drum as a slide hammer and pull the axles right out. Installation is pretty much just pushing them back in.

A lot of people have issues with AMC axles "breaking". This isn't actually true. What happens is the hub spins on the splines of the axle shaft. Some people think this is because the hub loosens with age and needs to be retightened. Other people replace the two-piece axles with after-market one-piece axles such as Moser axles. This is usually done in high performance applications. For your car, since you have the 6 cylinder, I'd just re-torque the axle nuts and you should be OK. With the car on the ground, take out the cotter pin and loosen the axle nut. Re-torque the axle nut to 250 lbs/ft and install a new cotter pin. You should be good-to-go.

I hope this helps!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Oh, one more thing. The axle you ahve in your 6 cylinder Javelin is an AMC Model 15 which isn't the strongest thing in the world. If you plan pretty much any type of high-performance upgrades or any "spirited driving", I'd think about upgrading the axle to at least an AMC Model 20 that came in V8 powered Javelins. The 71-74 V8 rear axles aren't hard to find and are pretty cheap. If you were close to MA, I'd sell you one I have pretty cheap.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.