Procomp versus Edelbrock Aluminum Heads - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm kind of curious what would happen if you removed the guideplates and used self-aligning rocker arms. With stock style rockers it wouldn't cost very much to try.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

just for info purposes, a drag racing buddy of mine bought a pair of 210 procomps from 1badcamaro on ebay for his 383, so far they have worked very well for him, this is a 10:1 comprerssion sbc street/strip motor, this ebay guy buys the heads bare and does all the work inhouse to complete them from what my buddys said from the phone calls talking to the guy... yes the newer procomps heads are a lot better than previous castings years ago... they decent heads for a buget kind of build
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops View Post
Frugal, like I previously wrote, they were bought on Ebay and were used.

Also, as I wrote above, I did contact edelbrock and they offered me a discount if I wanted new ones. But, because of the poor rocker arm alignment I didn't want to take a chance of ending up with the same situation without doing some research, which is part of what I'm doing now.

Oldbogie, thank you very much for the very informative and excellently articulated post.

Did you look at the above picture and if so do you consider the rocker arm alignments to be normal or excessive?

Thanks.
maybe take the rocker studs out.. have a machine shop that knows how to weld up alum.. fill the stud holes.. and then redrill the stud holes..
edle. most likely isn't doing anything because your not the original buyer.. not so much the date code...
I'd see what this route would cost..
I'd also.. ask the ebay seller.. if they sold them because of this. or upgraded.. to bigger heads... your "issue" might not be much of one.. for a street car..
can't fault edle. for not replacing them is they've been used..
I'd even ask if they where cast wrong and they know about it.. why they don't at least fix them.. or replace them...
if it was me.. I'd call AGAIN, and I'd also file a complaint with ebay if the seller won't take back their faulty parts.. I'd also go through paypal to see what can be done.. as this is clearly a defective item.. that was pawned off to the next guy that didn't know..
and if that didn't work. I'd weld them then redrill..
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Old & Furious

I have had edelbrock heads in the past on engines. They are Works of Art. Never had any problems.

Rocker arm alignment? Guide plates? Uhm... why would you be using self aligning rockers on alum. heads. Anyway I find it hard to think the studs have been drilled in the wrong location.

Aluminum heads can be trashed by UPS droping the box. Foam will only protect your heads so well. Its still a very heavy item in a small box. Sounds to me like you got a bad head second hand. Probably has bent studs in it or some other damage that is not showing.

I do plan to try some procomp heads. Are they really made in china. Most chevy aftermarket cheap crap comes from canada and mexico. China does not make much for chevys that are not sold around the world. Also it is not cheap to send heavy aluminum heads and the metal to make them to china and back.

China or not they are cheap and i can fix the portss if the rest of the head is built right.

Brodix, Dart and World Products all make great heads. They all cost about the same as edelbrock in the same flavor. Intake port cc valve size. But the procomps are a hell of a lot cheaper for 600 bucks I will give up 6 hp or whatever the difference is. I would love to see a dyno test on these heads compared to others int he after market. I have only seen a few dyno results for them and they were very close to other after market heads.

Guy on ebay has them for $600 set ready to bolt on with 2.05 valves. I got to say for that price I am going to give them a try. Without much markup it should be possible to make a good head for the money just none of the big aftermarkets are going to sell that cheap without a reason.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

and of course no one see's why we have the unemployment we have, sad
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Spend your head money on some roller rockers and adjustable guide plates. I prefer the Isky plates and have used them many times. In the old days, we used to cut the guideplates in half, line up the rockers and then weld them back together.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Old & Furious

@ the original post. Are you sure you have the right style/offset rocker arms on the head. since you said they were all off, kinda makes me think someone put a set of offset rockers instead of the proper set they are made for. AFR and Brodix above 210cc use offset edelbrock usally dont need them.

One being off is surley a bent rocker arm stud. Just replace it. Edel will sell you one for a few bucks. No real cost. Guid plates can be widen if need be. Its not the end of the world to file a little off. Just not too much.

I think you got took. Sorry ebay is a good way to stick ppl with crap that is broken and not showing it. This is one thing ebay is trying to fix these days. buyer protection can help but only with in some many days of sale. I recently got a "Brand New" cam off ebay with rust all over it and no box just lifter tossed against the cam and shipped. I got my money back but was a little upset. It is junk someone else will soon be buying. I feel for the next guy.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Looking at the picture again the alignment doesn't look that bad. I have a set of edelbrocks that look the same way but used adjustable guide plates to get the roller tip right over the valve tip. I was at my buddys place today and he has 383 sitting on the floor in his shop. He has a set of cammel humps on it. I took the valve cover off and sure enough the rockers were all angled. I asked him about it and he said that's just the way it is and its not a big deal. I think if you buy another set of heads your just going to be dissapointed when you bolt them on and have the same issue......I don't know maybe I'm wrong

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.