Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Product review and warning: $99 craftsman (sellstrom safegaurds) welding helmet
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Product review and warning: $99 craftsman (sellstrom safegaurds) welding helmet

alrighty, so a while back i had my GOOD Jackson welding helmet apart for cleaning, and while putting it all back togther, i apparently left out the plastic lense sheild

never noticed, when right to a job interview at a trucking company, and the interview included a welding test, and i had to do some overhead welding on plate steel .... yea .. the autodarkening lense got beaten up pretty good on me ... BUT it was still decently usable

last week i decided it was time to pick up another helmet, and considering im broke, except for a sears card, i decided to make a purchase from sears ..

i decided i would TRY one of the $99 "sears" brand helmets, i figured what could go wrong ? maybe the headband could break, or the lense retaining tabs might break off ..... easy stuff to fix with spare parts of a grinding mask or some JB weld ... and as long as the lense worked, nothing else realy mattered

what a mistake .... the mask doesnt darken right away !!!! it lets that first bright flash of arc make it to your eyes

and any time the welder sputters for a moment, like when your unsteady hand moves away from the work a slight bit... BANG ... lense lightens .... no delay AT ALL ... so the next arc you get goes right to your eyes again

i could seriously get less arc eye if i just left the helmet on the bench and looked away while i welded