Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Product review and warning: $99 craftsman (sellstrom safegaurds) welding helmet
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Those Hobart helmets, (the one they call "the hood") at least the ones from 4 or 5 years ago, use a lens called "Chameleon" which is same identical lens with the same name that is found in one of the Harbor Freight hoods usually on sale for around $50 bucks. The shell and head gear is cheaper made but of decent quality and as I said the business end is the same. When I still had my shop two of the guys had the HF hood and it seemed to do just fine but I don't know if the Hobart still uses that lens or not, I think the HF one does and if so it is a good one. Sellstrom makes some really good products and I don't think you would be disappointed with the model you have if you had not gotten a faulty one. Jackson is my favorite and when I said to toss the one you have that was just a figure of speech as the saying goes and certainly it would make more sense to replace just the lens rather than the entire hood. Also the Huntsman auto lens that is a drop in replacement for the dark glass in a conventional hood is a great set up since it gives you the flip up option of a regular hood so you will have a completely clear safety lens for chipping, grinding, etc, this is extremely handy when working after dark or in any low light situation where the lightened phase of most auto hoods is still dark enough to be a PITA