Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Product review and warning: $99 craftsman (sellstrom safegaurds) welding helmet
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 08:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kenny, I started using the auto dark hoods when the first Jacksons hit the streets and used them for years but I found that even the best of them do not allow full visibility, that is they are so dark right at the weld itself that they make it hard to see a fine joint such as when trying to MIG weld auto body parts. I found that visibility is much better with the conventional hood and with the type of welding I do now they are about all I use anymore. I know it may be hard for some to accept, it was for me, but the auto dark hoods are actually safer than a conventional one and you cannot burn your eyes even if it does not go dark. There was a rumor some years ago (even in some welding trade magazines) that in the milliseconds it takes for it to darken you would get a tiny amount of "flash" and this damage would accumulate over the years. This was only rumor and these things do have to meet safety standards that require protection in any phase unlike a conventional hood that offers little to no protection with the dark lens open. There is a good deal of discomfort from failure to darken but it is not harmful as has been proven many times and as the rep from Jackson pointed out if there was any possibility that you could burn your eyes from using one of these things, even in the long term, then the product liability and workman's comp lawyers would be having a Field day! He said the government standards were nothing compared to getting it approved by the company lawyers