"Production" blocking, how far do I go? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"Production" blocking, how far do I go?

I run a little shop out of my garage doing dent repair and paint work. I do small stuff to completes. I have concentrated on this work since completing my 67 C10 restoration about four years ago. Prior to that project I had not painted, but between this forum and help from a few local guys I got my truck done and am quite happy with the result. Ok, enough backstory...

I am currently doing a complete on 96 Toyoto T-100. The owner is in love with this 200k mile pickup and is willing to drop three grand on the paint job. I have the box repaired and blocked twice. This is where I come to my question. I learned here to block and prime three times 180/220/320, then wet sand, seal and paint/clear. I am not sure this particular job warrants the three times prime and block process due to my loosely quoted bid. So even though I have to fix five small dents in nearly every panel, do I really need to do all this blocking? I realize there is only one way to get the pickup straight but we are not talking about a six thousand dollar paint job here.

So on the box which is currently blocked out in 220, can I lay down more build primer, DA with 320 then wet sand / seal / paint, or am I screwing up all the work I did in the 180/220 blocking? Also on the cab and front clip which has fewer dents, I want to DA the fairly good condition existing paint, epoxy prime it, then build primer, then wet sand, seal and paint. I guess I am trying to do the right job for the right vehicle here, its not a trailer queen hot rod, and I quoted three grand for the job. I am looking for opinions on my repair and paint process and also my quoted pricing. Am I doing too much? Am I trying to cut corners that I shouldn't?

Fwiw, I am using mostly midgrade primer and paint, although I have considered using a good clear vs. Omni for example...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

main objective of blocking is to get the panels straight..i learned to block with 100-120 grit until all is good and then shoot a coat of primer surfacer and block that with 400 and then base..works for me..try and experiment a bit until you can block a panel with the minimum amount of time and then do the final primer before basing..

Sam

some of the production guys may chime in..
Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM

you don't block a certain number of times, you block until it is straight.

you don't want to DA over what you have already blocked. what are you blocking with?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

I am using an eight inch block and an about a 14" block. The panels after the second blocking are straight to my satisfaction. I have typically continued blocking in finer grits to remove the sand scratches from the previous blocking. I have thought about laying enough build primer to say cover 180, but wondered if piling that much product on was a good idea.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM

A guide coat is your friend when blocking. When the guide
coat shows the panel is straight, it's time to go on to the
next step no matter how many primer coats.
The lesser coats the better I say...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 PM

oooh...guide coat. yeah.. gotta have a guidecoat.

I'm no painter, but I like to play one on the internet.

I like doing a guide coat with a pair of 15" long board sanders one is stiff, the other flexible.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

I am guide coating each time.

So I am concerned about the amount of build primer I can lay down at one time. Say I get a panel blocked out in 180 and I am happy with it. Can I then lay down enough new primer to completely cover the 180 sand scratches? I think that is what you are telling me OneMoreTime.

Fwiw I have a dedicated primer gun with a 1.8 tip and I shoot my build primer unreduced.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Exactly..work on gun adjustment so you lay the material down wet and slick to minimize sanding..i use a 1.4 and regular build primer at this point and save the high build for when I feel I need it..Good idea to let in set overnite before basing to allow for any shrinkage and then go with the 400 and then base it..

Sam
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Great, this sounds like way less messing around and less sand paper too. Thanks for the tips!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.