Hot Rod Forum banner

Production flaws

926 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  machine shop tom 
#1 ·
I had an ARP 3/8" rocker stud break today. I was on a WOT run and it snapped off at the rocker nut. Luckily I have stud girdles and everything stayed in place somewhat. I was able to drive home on 7 cylinders.

I sure am tired of production flaws. Building my 400 has been a nightmare. So far here is what has failed:

My first set of stock heads I had rebuilt with new valves installed. One valve broke and fell into my brand new piston.

I got a new set of Sportsman II heads with heavier springs. The guy that assembled them used the stock retainers and keepers. The valves pulled through the retainers and almost dropped into the pistons.

I went to change the retainers and couldn't get them off using an air compressor. I had to use the rope trick to hold the valves closed so I could remove the springs. A piece of the rope broke off and was left behind in the cylinder. I ended up with a collapsed piston. The rope part was my fault, but I shouldn't have had to mess with the springs in the first place.

My new Edelbrock fuel pump leaked oil out of the weep holes because the internal o-ring gasket wasn't seated right from the factory.

This incident with the rocker stud today.

I could keep going on and on about all of the wrong parts sent out from Summit and Jegs that had to be returned.

Can't manufacturers make quality parts anymore? I am almost afraid to advise anyone to build a Hot Rod anymore. There are too many things out of your control that will go wrong as you build what you want to build.

Other than the rope trick, I did everything by the book. I built my engine the right way and didn't cut any corners. But because of poor quality junk which was supposed to be brand name ****, I have lost a lot of weekends that I could have been cruising instead of cursing.

I'd give all those companies two thumbs up although I think they deserve to fingers up instead!

See less See more
#2 ·
Here I was thinking I was the only one that was "cursed"
I went through over a year of nothing but endless problems and never got to drive my car, it`s hard to sink money, time and effort into something you get nothing back from. I`ve built many hot rods for my friends and they never had any problems, yet when we all wanted to get together and hit the drag strip for some fun or go on a cruise, my car was always left behind because another problem developed. it seemed as if soon as I fixed one problem another one happened, it got me to the point to where I wouldn`t fool with it for about 6 months, I just let it sit. finally though, better days came my way and I`ve gotten to enjoy my ride for a while now, so hopefully, things will get better for you also.

#3 ·
There is a huge glut of junk stuff being mass produced these days. The performance aftermarket business is bigger than ever, and it seems like alot of manufacturers just care about production and the old bottom line.
I have seen some 10 degree valve locks fail, which a few years ago was unheard of. They were cheap chinese made crap, passed off as the good stuff.
I use some budget parts, but only on mild engines. Anything I build with some real steam is highly scrutinized. Sometimes GM is the place to get your parts.

#5 ·
People wonder why I recommend taking brand new heads to a good shop to be checked out by a trustworthy machinist. I hve checked dozens of new heads for customers and have found only a couple that were worth bolting on. I have foung 2 broken 10' valve locks, among a whole bunch of problems, while checking the stuff out. You just can't be too careful when it comes to the parts for your engine. And yes, brand names are not immune to problems, whether it's bad parts or poor workmanship.

tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.