Proeblems with Finishline Gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Problems with Finishline Gun

I am having trouble using my new DeVilbiss Finishline III HVLP gun. The first time I used it, I seemed to have no problems and just loved it. After that time, the next times I have tried to use it, I am getting the gun to sputter after a couple of seconds that the trigger is pressed. I have tried it with and without the regulator on the gun. I upgraded my hose to a 1/2" with no help. I have the gun reg and guage set at 23 psi like the instructions say to. I have tried lower and higher with no help. I tightened the packing on the needle and that also did not help. I cleaned and recleaned the gun, but cant find anything wrong.

I have had to go back to my old cheap HVLP gun that I bought that I had been using for primer. It still works real good for finish too. I have had the problem with the new gun with both BC/CC and single stage paint. With my old gun it seems that it sprays real nice without alot of overspray. The new gun seems to be spraying real hard, like alot more air is blowing out of it. When I turn down the air pressure, it just does not seem to atomize right.

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Does the gun need to be sent back in or just junked or what. I want a real good gun to do my next project, a 65 chevelle. Any advice on which gun to get for BC/CC if this Finishline is not the answer.

Here is a link to the gun
http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts...sdepotgate.bbx

Sorry about the long post. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by rcm800; 04-25-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

You probably already checked but if the tip is not tight the gun will sputter. Tight tight with a wrench tight. If the vent hole on top of the reservoir is clogged the gun will make a sucking sound every few seconds while spraying.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm800
Any advice on which gun to get for BC/CC if this Finishline is not the answer.
The Harbor freight 43430 HVLP gun is hard to beat. I have been getting exceptional results using it, see my album.

Vince
Old 04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I'll guess it's the $99.00 "special" and not a true F'line III.

Fluttering or sputtering is caused from air entering the fluid area. Either blowing by the nozzle seal or sucking by the needle packing.

I have never seen inside one of these cheap guns but my old D'ville FLG 2 Finishline uses a clear,round,plastic seal which is at the back of the nozzle area around the needle to seal the back of the nozzle/fluid connection.
This being that the nozzle is made of some type of nylon/plastic and would wear considerably if not there or crack if overtightened.
If this is missing or worn out, it allows air to blow into the fluid area causing what your describing.

Most guns use a mechanical bevel to seal the nozzle to the fluid, << ,and this becomes worn or distorted over time (wear) or overtightening (distorted). Once this happens,it's junk basically and time for a now gun.

Should be a parts breakdown of all the internals,so check it over and make sure your not missing a seal of some sort at the nozzle.
Make SURE it IS clean, inside & out, Needle & nozzle opening too.

Does it bubble inside the cup when spraying? Sure sign of a nozzle sealing problem.

This gun is a throw away as there are NO repair parts for it and "if" it's still in warranty,I'd send it back if you plan on keeping it.

The HVLP 43430 is a Sata Jet90 knock off IMO as it simular to my Jet except the fact that it's nowhere close to spray pattern/fan of a 90 but it does some exceptional work considering what it is. I'd use it over that cheapie D'Ville anyday.

As for getting another "quality" gun to use. THAT will be YOUR decsion.
I've had the opportunity to use as well as own most of the "great" guns, and each is the "stuff" in it's own right and different painters just "like" a certian gun because they "paint" good with it. Be it Sata,Iwata,D'Ville,Harbor Freight,Astro,etc. Right now, I prefer Iwata LPH-400 for it's transfer effiency which equates to MORE paint on the panel instead of out the exaust.
I have a new Sata Jet90-2 which is a reduced pressure gun and does a hell of a job with tough bases BUT, It wastes almost twice the paint of the Iwata.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

No it is not the $99 special. It is a finishline III. I do not see any bubbling in the cup when spraying and sputtering. I would think that it has to be the seal between the packing and the needle.

What exactly do you mean by the nozzle seal? I know about the packing nut, but not sure what else you mean.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

I was looking at the parts break down on the gun and I think that I am missing the fluid tip seal. I must have lost it when I was cleaning it. I am going to check, but I bet that this is it. I hope so.

Thanks, and I will let you know.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

As Weirdbeard said, tight -tight, I wouldn't think there is a "seal" there so it will be tough to find...It plain needs to be tight there metal to metal,,,
You can test by spraying plain thinner or reducer through there after the adjustment and see if it smooths out
why is my paint gun spitting?

Last edited by milo; 04-25-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spellin was awful
Old 04-25-2006, 03:53 PM

Bee4Me, do you know where I could pick up one of those sata 90 guns? maybe provide a link?

chris
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If it does it after a few seconds of pulling the trigger, check it with the cover off the cup. The air hole in the cover may be plugged, limiting the amount of fluid it lets into the gun, by creating a vacuum.

Aaron
Old 04-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Cool.
It's surprising what can fall out cleaning guns sometimes and I've had to go back to the parts break down a few times myself.

5dogs, You can no longer buy Sata online as far as I know, They pulled all their line from internet sales.
You'll have trouble finding the gun I have as well,Sata really does not want it being popular as it's 1/2 the cost of the 2000 and is only 10% less in transfer effency. I just happened to catch the rep in the store showing off their new paint cup system and he was using that gun to demo it. I hammered him about the gun and he gave me the information about it.
Part number is 123232
It's not the 90-RP advertised. You can't even get the part number to come up from a search at Sata. Great gun but it still runs at 45-50 PSI. I still have some experimenting to do with it as far a psi goes but it really likes that range. I got into paint late,so most of my experience has been using HVLP and I just am a slow painter so using these convential or RP guns is a change and having to paint at a faster pace is different. Not like I do this for a living so time is on my side. Usually
Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

I looked last night and the fluid tip seal was missing. I tried real quick to put a seal in there, but it wasn't thick enough to seal. It is bubbling in the paint cup, so I need to order a repair kit for the gun.

If I am going to order a really good gun, what would be recommended. I know that this is totally opinion, but I value your opinions. I was thinking either a Iwata or Sata.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

I'm no expert painter but have been painting my own stuff for 20 years or so and really like my Finishline III gun. I have all the tips and I haven't found anything I couldn't spray well. A better gun won't make a better painter (the following of the HF HVLP gun comes to mind), I think with some practice your FL3 will do everything you want.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.