professional products ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 09:31 AM

Last journal entry: 454
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

professional products ?

What do you guys think about professional products intakes.A good lower priced alternative or cheap junk?Does anyone here have one?How are the castings?Are they a well performing intake?I was thinking about getting one(cyclone for vortec heads) and was wondering what is the general opinion on them. http://www.professional-products.com/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

From what I have seen, I don't like the castings. They look cheap from the outside. I have heard the port locations are off some. I have never seen a side by side comparison to Edelbrock. That would be pretty interesting.

In my opinion you would be better off finding a used Edelbrock intake and cleaning it up.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

I am not a fan of them. I had bought one several years ago to get by due to the intake that I had on there had cracked, and I was very disappointed with it. The ports were severely off, and the quality was very poor. As LLuciano77 said, you are better off buying a good used name brand intake such as Edelbrock, Weiand, Holley, etc.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:44 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I'm not terribly impressed with the manifolds myself, but i do like their line of harmonic balancers. They check out straight and are fairly close in balance (although they do need tweaking to get the balance right, no different than any other balancer.)

tom
Old 05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

I finally got an upclose look at them and as was siad here the intake casting arent real great... now the outside looked ok like any other intake but it was some of the intake not being really smooth now maybeim spoiled by edl. but I just didn't like what I saw. Go to a swap meet and someone will have them there you can get a good look at it...

Chris
Old 05-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

my friend has one on his 400 small block chevy in a nova 2 and runs in the 10;s
Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I have one and it's ports line up. The inner casting was ok and they cleaned it up pretty well. My buddies edelbrock on his 496 BBC was of much poorer quality on the inside with heavy casting flash left behind that he had to remove himself.
I would agree that a couple of years ago they were a cheap knockoff of poor quality but they are getting pretty good and produce decent intakes now.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
I'm not terribly impressed with the manifolds myself, but i do like their line of harmonic balancers. They check out straight and are fairly close in balance (although they do need tweaking to get the balance right, no different than any other balancer.)

tom
I have one of their SFI balancers. It is doing it's job.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347mustang
my friend has one on his 400 small block chevy in a nova 2 and runs in the 10;s
That means nothing.

you could run an SP2P with the right mods and come up with that. You give no baseline to compare to. How dow you know he wouldn't be in the low tens to the high nines with a better intake?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

It is pretty much the luck on the draw on these. I personally would not buy one. While you will hear some people say it works great, I have heard of many bad experiences. One in particular the guy bought the PP intake to save a few bucks, once he put water in the engine it leaked (even not under pressure), removed the intake intalled new gaskets, still leaked. Sent it to the machine shop to be cheacked and it was off, had to be shaved. Now ask yourself how much he saved? Nothing it actually cost him more in the end (time and money). If you are lucky and get one that fits right you might be happy with that. All the PP castings I have seen leave a lot to be desired.

Rpyce
Old 05-07-2005, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

its kinda like buying cheap tools, you might buy a Buffalo or other cheap brand tool that lasts forever, than the next 10 arent worth a crap, very inconsistant product. I dont buy knock off brands like that.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I remember not to long ago on the show Trucks or Horsepower TV on Spike tv did a comparison. They compared one to an edelbrock and showed the ports didn't match. Of course it wouldn't suprise me if that comparison was biased. But at the last swap meet I went to, there was a vendor selling some. The guy who was selling them talked big, but from what I could tell, they looked like crap. Personally I wouldn't use one of their products unless I could see it in person first. IMO

Brad
Old 05-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I believe if you look on the underside of the manifold it will say Made in China on it. Very cheap copies of US major manifold manufacturers.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

I have seen a few up close. Their casting kind of reminds me of a candy bar left out in the sun for a while. It is like the casting shifted just enough.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

About 2 years ago a customer brought one of these to me to use on his engine, It went against my judgement, but was his ride. I didn`t like how it looked, it had "made in china" stamped on it in 3 places, the ports looked like they had been ground out with a slow speed grinder, the material used didn`t look like the common aluminum intakes, it looked like some kind of cheap material. This intake was the PP vortec knockoff of edelbrock`s performer, I bolted it on and when I went to fill the coolant, it drained into the pan, drained the oil and removed the intake, did a gasket check, the gasket was overhanging by a half a inch on the front and rear water ports, as there wasn`t enough material on the intake itself to seal it, so we went and looked at every gasket avalible for the vortec, and everyone overhanged, none even came close, the only solution was to have the area welded up and reground, so I told the customer instead of spending that much money go ahead and buy a edelbrock performer vortec intake, he did and it had ample gasket surface, bolted it on, problem solved.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.