profiler 195s a good cylinder head?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

profiler 195s a good cylinder head??

Anybody running a set of profiler 195' cylinder heads? I was told they were much cheaper than the afr 195. . But perform just as well .... especially for street use only...

Are they good cylinder heads???

Sbc 383.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarques_191 View Post
Anybody running a set of profiler 195' cylinder heads? I was told they were much cheaper than the afr 195. . But perform just as well .... especially for street use only...

Are they good cylinder heads???

Sbc 383.
And what braintrust shared this info with you?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Uh oh... I take it these heads is like eating out the trash? Lol
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

This guy Tech

Speier Racing Heads
There is a lot of info out there if you look enough.
The Pro filer 195 may in fact not have the flow numbers of the AFR head, but flow numbers don't tell the entire tale, port velocity also plays a huge role and that's where the profiler shines. They also have the ability for future upgrade, Speier has them flowing over 300cfm with port work. They use the same casting for 185-210 and have the room to be ported heavily.
For $1100.00 there really isn't another out of the box "as cast" head that will touch them. Your other option is buying through Speier racing, for the same money as the AFR head you can get into a set of his "econoport" profilers which out run the AFR's across the board. If its a budget concern he also offers an offshore casting (assault racing) thats available in the econoport and built with quality parts through Speiers for less money then the AFR or the profiler. Some people have issues spending money on an offshore casting, and I get that, personally I dont have that issue. Where you spend your money is as always, up to you. Because pro filer has the unfortunate "pro" in its name, and because they don't have the marketing and advertising budget that AFR does they tend to get painted as a "budget" head or even called an "offshore" casting. Neither is the case. Spend some time researching Pro filer products in general, especially there BBC stuff and you will see what they are all about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (02-13-2014), demarques_191 (02-13-2014), Richiehd (09-15-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

Yes I done alot of research last night.. and people were saying nothing but good things about these heads.. and I even saw a heated debate between a guy from afr and another who works with profiler. One guy posted dyno results and im shocked at how amazing the results were
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shavrin 383 dyno.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	121073  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

There are a lot of guys here that love the fancy pictures AFR supplies, and they probably do a better job marketing than any other cylinder head company- I don't think anyone questions that. The question is- is Profiler a good head? You bet. It will give up some advantages to the AFR's as they have more investment in machine work, if you can get A EQUALLY PREPPED set of profilers then they should have no problem beating the AFR's, as cast they perform very well, but you can't expect an as cast head to beat such a well developed fully machined head, the casting is damn good but it's not perfect.

This is one of those places where I would also question is the $700 you save by running Profiler's can be better spent elsewhere- perhaps in a better valve train, pistons, roller cam, rings, bearings, oil pump, oil control, etc- I would bet that a AFR head with a flat tappet cam would get beat by a Profiler head with a roller cam- and the overall cost between the two is about the same.

There comes a point where a "good enough" head is good enough, and your attention, and money, needs to be spent elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

Chad Speier is the real deal. He didn't just fall off the proverbial turnip truck. He has a bit of an internet history going against the grain about AFRs. However, Pro-Filer had some heavy involvement with Darin Morgan, who was THE cylinder head guy at Reher Morrison. Darrin eventually left ProFiler and went back to RM; however the ports, combustion chamber and intake manifold are his designs apparently.
To be frank, an all american head thats 90% of an AFR, for less money...on a street car, I doubt you'd notice much difference (other than saying "I have AFRs")
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

So would you order them bare or assembled?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Contact them and see if they can assemble with the parts you want, if you're not a head guy. If not, maybe contact Chad Speier?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you want real AFR competiton get the Speir heads with hir port job matched for your combo. The price goes up but you'll have some premo heads too.

Or just go for the cheap **** that works- like I usually do.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Apparently the Jegs branded heads are also Pro-filers as well, if you find the heads are on backorder direct from Pro-filer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdncutlass For This Useful Post:
demarques_191 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

I know an engines gets most of its power from "cylinder heads".... thats why im going all out to get some good flowing heads. . I don't wanna go short there.... but I keep seeing in these posts how these cylinder heads go toe to toe with afr... ive seen the website where chad spier' will do the heads for you but for 1500 - 1600'.. I can go with afr... my goal is only 400-425hp'and 450tq

The profilers in stock form can do this?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarques_191 View Post
I know an engines gets most of its power from "cylinder heads".... thats why im going all out to get some good flowing heads. . I don't wanna go short there.... but I keep seeing in these posts how these cylinder heads go toe to toe with afr... ive seen the website where chad spier' will do the heads for you but for 1500 - 1600'.. I can go with afr... my goal is only 400-425hp'and 450tq

The profilers in stock form can do this?
There are a lot of heads out there that can hit those very modest power goals, if that's really all the power you want you're buying too much head.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

64cc Dart SHPs (NOT the 76cc chambers) or the IK200s should be able to handle that without too much thought. Hell the new fast burn ZZ5 GM head has raised ports and could carry that with ease.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

I have a generation I small block

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.