Proform roller rockers! *** is wrong? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Do you feel like we do?

Wiki Edits: 0

Proform roller rockers! *** is wrong?

i bought a pair of SBC proform roller rockers for my 360 motor. the rest of the engine is not roller. i have a .477 int .480 exhaust cam. i use stock sized hardended pushrods. are roller rockers supposed to sound like a loud sewing machine? i was under the assumption it would be fairly quiet due to the "rolling" nature of it. if so, what is causing the sewing machine sound? also, i notice some wear on the insides of the roller rockers where the nuts are rubbing as the rockers go back and forth. the actual top of the nut is not hitting but the lower part is rubbing on the insides of the roller rockers causing the anodized finish to rub off. why is this? can this be normal? help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

is your engine hydraulic cam equipped? Are the rockers adjustable or a pedestal/shaft mount non-adjustable system?

Whatever you do, don't let aluminum shavings go into the engine/crankcase.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Do you feel like we do?

they dont have any shafts linking them together. they are just stand-alone roller rockers and are adjustable. i have a hydraulic Comp cams Xe268
Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Sounds pretty normal for pedestal mount. As far as the rubbing, I would have to venture to say if the rubbing isn't bad enough to scrap chunks outa the aluminum you might have a stud that's not true to the valve centerline. Screw in studs may not be tapped straight or the holes were slightly off center. I'd double check all your geometry's. Make sure you have a good contact pattern on the valve tip. If the rubbing isn't bad enough to scrap chunks, there's not a lot you can do easily or cheaply without head removal. Stud girdles might help pull things in line. Give us more info about the heads and what's been done already.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Do you feel like we do?

the heads are a #416 casting, they've been cut open to 72cc with 2.02 valves. screw in studs and they have guide plates. i was thinking.. could the rubbing be due to the guide plates needing to be aligned/centered? because if some or all of them are "off" center then they would guide the pushrod in a diagonal direction which might account for the rubbing on the side of most of the roller rockers. just a thought.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Have you inspected the clearance between the spring's and the rocker?
Noticed any "poping" when turning the engine over during the install?
That's a dead give away for spring interferance.

Seems most of the alum. roller pieces need some working over to play well with the rest of the engine.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:23 AM

Sound's like you are using the stock nuts. My roller rockers came with specially designed nuts that clear the inner structure of the rockers.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Do you feel like we do?

nope... im using the nuts that they came with. there is just little clearance in between the the insides of the rocker and the nut. the rockers arent hitting the bottom of the nut... just the sides of it. thats only when the vehicle is on and the rockers have play from side to side. none of them are loose but they are able to move very minutely at higher rpms.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Do you feel like we do?

giving up...

i have since given up on those proform roller rockers. i dont know what was going wrong but i decided to rip them off and go with the stock rockers. at least they dont sound like a sewing machine besides, in a non roller engine i only gain at most 10hp. after taking them off and inspecting them i noticed a few of them were hitting the bottom of the stud as i could see a little bit of aluminum had worn off, as well as the insides being scraped by the sides of the nut. anyway... all is quiet now and the exhaust sounds more even. i guess thats what i get for buying the cheapest roller rockers i could find.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

I wish you would have posted before buying the Proform rockers. They are pretty much junk and they are LOUD. The nuts that come with them are TERRIBLE, very poor quality. I ran a set a few year ago and I took them off and got rid of them. If you want roller rockers spend a few extra bucks and get a decent set. The decent ones are not nearly as loud as the Proforms. Don't use the Proforms as a gauge of how roller roskers, sound, fit, or perform.

Royce
Old 03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
I wish you would have posted before buying the Proform rockers. They are pretty much junk and they are LOUD. The nuts that come with them are TERRIBLE, very poor quality. I ran a set a few year ago and I took them off and got rid of them. If you want roller rockers spend a few extra bucks and get a decent set. The decent ones are not nearly as loud as the Proforms. Don't use the Proforms as a gauge of how roller roskers, sound, fit, or perform.

Royce
A little off topic but just a quick question, since you said proform rockers are junk, what woulc you consider to be good brands? I just purchased a set of Scorpions for my engine and I would like to know if they are junk or not before I put them on and mess up a good engine.

Brad
Old 03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I am using some summit 1.6 full rollers and they seem to be VERY high quality. They were recommended to me by trickflow to go along with their heads (along with a trickflow line of rockers).
Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM

i assume that the sound they make is different brand to brand.i have the crane energizer rockers and they also make a bit of a sewing machine sound.i was reading an article a couple of wks. ago i think in the back of chevy high performance,the Q & A section and someone wrote in and asked kevin mcClelland if his were suppose to make noise and that he thought they would be quiet.kevin wrote back and said all r.r.'s make some noise that you can not adjust it all the way out.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:49 PM
1968 chevelle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
A little off topic but just a quick question, since you said proform rockers are junk, what woulc you consider to be good brands? I just purchased a set of Scorpions for my engine and I would like to know if they are junk or not before I put them on and mess up a good engine.

Brad
Im using Scorpion roller rockers on my sbc with no problems but I did have to change to a shorter push rod but they run great and don't make alot of noise
Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have a set of stainless steel Crowers on my Dakota, not a cheep rocker and they make the noise you refer to. The Crowers are self aligning. Maybe the aligning guides are what causes the noise.????

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.