proformance products intakes = edelbrock intakes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

proformance products intakes = edelbrock intakes?

from what they look like the PP (proformance products) intakes are a chinese knockoff of the edelbrock intakes. is this true? and is the claim that they outflow the edelbrocks true? i recently bought a crossflow vortec intake and i can't find a single difference between it and the edelbrock airgap vortec. and it cost me like 159.00$ with a 20.00$ chipping fee. thats a hella lot cheaper than an edelbrock. looks like PP also has some other products for way way cheaper like performace harmonic balancers for 35-50 bucks. anyone have any input on their products?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartcannon
from what they look like the PP (proformance products) intakes are a chinese knockoff of the edelbrock intakes. is this true? and is the claim that they outflow the edelbrocks true? i recently bought a crossflow vortec intake and i can't find a single difference between it and the edelbrock airgap vortec. and it cost me like 159.00$ with a 20.00$ chipping fee. thats a hella lot cheaper than an edelbrock. looks like PP also has some other products for way way cheaper like performace harmonic balancers for 35-50 bucks. anyone have any input on their products?

How do you know the internal passages are the same?

Buy Communist. They need our money to fund their economy and the next war in Iran.

USA Today front page said we send China over $ 50 billion dollars a month trade deficite. And then the liberals gripe about the war cost.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM

i quit yelling "buy american" back when i found out chevy ford and dodge were calculating in a "failure factor" on every vehicle they produced for several decades. they want the vehicles to fail after a set amount of time (normally just after the warranty has expired) thats why honda,nissan,toyota, and mazda have done so well. they just build the best car they can. domestic car makers want us to be forced to buy new cars every few years, the foriegn boys make a car that lasts 250,000 miles easy. so buy american if ya wish but i say buy the best product for the buck no matter who makes the thing.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i quit yelling "buy american" back when i found out chevy ford and dodge were calculating in a "failure factor" on every vehicle they produced for several decades. they want the vehicles to fail after a set amount of time (normally just after the warranty has expired) thats why honda,nissan,toyota, and mazda have done so well. they just build the best car they can. domestic car makers want us to be forced to buy new cars every few years, the foriegn boys make a car that lasts 250,000 miles easy. so buy american if ya wish but i say buy the best product for the buck no matter who makes the thing.

I said Communist.

They promised that they would take over this country.

By the way, how do you know that the manifolds are internally identical and perform the same? Is the aluminum the same quality alloy? How do you know that any communist product will stand the test of time?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I sure found differences in them, I never purchased any, but those I looked at and worked on, the differences were obvious. The passages looked like they had been ground out with a hand grinder, looked real nasty, you could tell the alloy they used wasn`t of good material, the color differed in several places. One where I was installing the intake, the water passages were not wide enough to cover the gasket area, leaving a gap of about 1/2 inch, this was on a vortec engine, the only way to fix it would have been to weld it up and then resurface, I told the guy to buy a edelbrock intake and he did so, problem solved. The china intake had already cost him close to $100 in gaskets that wouldn`t seal up. I don`t worry about what`s made where anymore, even so I do say and practice buy american, at the rate america is selling out and moving it to cheaper country`s before too long there won`t be much left. I`d say that`s the worst thing going on here now, were selling ourselves out.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
They messed up big time on my LeSabre! 201,000 miles and still going strong although it sounds like the RH CV joint is going bad. Lousy piece of crap! They should last longer than that........ Yes, it's the original. Other than tires, brakes and exhaust I have replaced one fuel injector, the fuel pump, alternator, water pump and the EGR.

Last fill up it still averaged 25 MPG for a an equal split of Interstate @ 70MPH, two lane at 60-65 MPH and stop and go city driving and when the light turns green I GO. .
Old 01-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Let's face it. Americans generally buy new cars every 2-3 years because they want the newest of their favorite line. Call it keeping up with the Joneses if you want.

The Americans spend more on cars/vehicles than the rest of the world put together.

The USA is a CAR CULTURE. Pure and simple. Always was (since 1905), probably always will be.

But Detroit is soon to be out of business.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:03 PM

we can compare cars all day but i have a 97 honda civic that gets 42 mpg has one of the safest crash test results, cold air , nice stereo, will run 250,000+ miles and cost me 1500.00$ used. wouldn't trade it for the world. granted its not near as cool as my 65' shortwide but it does its job way better than any american car i can think of. its job is to get my butt back and forth to work every day as cheap as possible so i have more money to spend on my hotrods.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

It's a lot easier to sell a product for cheaper than your competitor when you don't need to pay anyone to develop it for you if you just rip off your competitor's design. But you go and save your $20 dollars on that cheap Chinese knockoff intake. Eventually we'll all pay the price when there is no manufacturing base left here in N.A.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I don't think Hippie was trying to compare cars to anyone. I think he was trying to debunk your "failure factor" idea.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Varnes
It's a lot easier to sell a product for cheaper than your competitor when you don't need to pay anyone to develop it for you if you just rip off your competitor's design. But you go and save your $20 dollars on that cheap Chinese knockoff intake. Eventually we'll all pay the price when there is no manufacturing base left here in N.A.
Who are the Chinese going to rip off when places like Edelbrock go belly up? North Korea? Ya, in 20-30 years we can be driving with Chinese knock offs of North Korean SBC intakes.

You spend your money where you wish, but I will never knowingly buy foreign knock offs that may put our respected hot rodders out of business.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
we can compare cars all day but i have a 97 honda civic that gets 42 mpg has one of the safest crash test results, cold air , nice stereo, will run 250,000+ miles and cost me 1500.00$ used. wouldn't trade it for the world. granted its not near as cool as my 65' shortwide but it does its job way better than any american car i can think of. its job is to get my butt back and forth to work every day as cheap as possible so i have more money to spend on my hotrods.

Ever see a Civic that got hit by a Dually or a Town Car? I'll stay in my Town Car. (biggest car built in the USA gets 27 on highway and 19 in town, really)

My daughter-in-law with my 3 grandsons in her 98 Taurus got hit in the driver's side by a Celebrity. I got her a Grand Marquis as a replacement (second largest car built in the USA). She hates the "old women's car" so we got her a Durango too. At least she wasn't in that Geo Convertible roller skate she used to drive........

Size doesn't make much difference until it is YOUR loved ones.

Gee, that sort of applies to motorcycle helmets too.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Ever see a Civic that got hit by a Dually or a Town Car? I'll stay in my Town Car.
I saw a VW New Beetle that had been hit by a Dodge Ram 1500 once, that was pretty ugly.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

I wonder how the knock-offs compare to the originals in fuel distribution and drop-out characteristics.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
I saw a VW New Beetle that had been hit by a Dodge Ram 1500 once, that was pretty ugly.
Gee, ugly truck hits ugly car = FUGLY

Seriously, my friend in a new Beetle got hit by an elderly man in an big old Olds 98. Jaws of life, 2 1/2 hours...... definitely a "crash test". no pun intended.

Controlled crash tests are fine and dandy.... BUT, The big guy always wins. period.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.