Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - profound thought
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Honestly, I love what that video says. I went to work full time in the autobody industry one week out of high school because I LOVED doing it. My friend who recently passed away went into law enforcement right out of school. He said to me just a few weeks before he died when another friend of ours who also became a cop and recently retired at 50 years old came up in the conversation. When I mentioned how I should have done that too and I could retire now. He said, "Brian, you have spent 35 years doing something you love. You have made show cars and had fun, you have traveled as a paint rep, you owned your own shop, all those things you look back with a sparkle in your eye, you enjoyed it, as a cop your memories would be cleaning up vomit from the back of your patrol car and seeing women with black eyes from their husbands beating her, which would you rather have as memories?"

I have never gotten rich, but damn it I have enjoyed what I have done for a living. And I don't mind doing it longer than my retired friend, sure if I was cleaning up vomit I would want to retire, but I don't have any plans on retiring, I love what I do.

Brian