Hot Rod Forum banner

Progress has been made.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  RCastle 
#1 ·
I'm tired, and out of a preliminary list of 24 things to get done on the Malibu for the '05 Northern Chevelle Gathering this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I have gotten 7 major ones done.

The wife and I are impressed with the progress made today alone.

We want to thank those on here who helped out in my quest to get the stripes straight. :thumbup: :welcome:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I am here at the 2005 Northern Chevelle Gathering, and there are A LOT of great cars in the parking lot reserved for the show tomorrow.

Everything from the 2 "pulled it out of the field and got 'er runnin' for the show" ready to restore "beaters", to the national show winners on hand here.

I didn't do so well last year being in the same class that stretches from '73 to '83 with all the different changes and sub models that Chevrolet produced in that year range (including a complete body style change), but this year I insisted on having the car tech inspected to be positive I was in the correct class (stock or modified) and everything came back to put me in the stock class.

I have legitimate changes that allow me to remain in the stock class, and only two modifications out of the three allowed to the car to mandate transferring to the modified class, paint is the most obvious, and the Camaro Z28 wheels is the other. :thumbup:

I'm going to make sure to take LOTS of pictures, as the car has went from the lonely "taxi" to the "What year is this Chevelle?"

#5 ·
I am guaranteed either first OR second place.

Only two of the five cars registered for the 73-83 Chevelle Stock class showed up, the second place winner from last year, and me.

Not too bad for the officially sanctioned ACES (American Chevelle Enthusiast Society) Northern Regional show.

Chuck Hanson, Co-Host of HorsePower TV, and President of the American Chevelle Enthusiasts Society (ACES) was here to show one of his Chevelles, to emcee the awards ceremony tomorrow morning, and to have a good time like the rest of us car nuts.

The cruise around the island was sweet, we ALL (at least 60 cars) committed a few moving traffic violations :spank: :evil: :nono: (we will say an extra prayer tomorrow, or give an extra $ to a charity for it, I'm sure. I have to deal with getting the wife carsick, so I will be paying for a while I'm positive. :thumbup: ). The local Sheriff department, and the park police seemed to disappear for our entire trip which lasted almost an hour, Thanks officers. :welcome:

I didn't go to the Paddock Chevrolet SuperCruise in Kenmore last night but heard there more than 450 cars there this year, maybe I'll make it next year.

#6 · (Edited)
I didn't get a plaque (they gave out plaques and not trophies) for second place this year, the guy who got second place last year got first place this year.

I was given a lot of compliments on the Malibu from a lot of guys who own Chevelles from every generation but mine. I might have gotten more votes if I stayed with the car during the show, but I had most of the family with me for the weekend and enjoyed the indoor pool a couple of times.

Maybe next year, at least I know I am heading in the right direction with the car.

:I almost forgot, so I had to edit this post:

I did however, get a mid-range door prize for $100 to National Parts Depot, which I could have used last week when I ordered from them to get the car ready for the NCG '05.

I'll post pics when I edit them to a smaller size.

#7 ·
When it really comes down to it, a $100 door prize from a place I frequently order from anyway is a whole lot better than a $30 wall plaque. I can live with the fact that I came in second place at a show that is primarily judged by others that don't consider anything after 1972 a Chevelle.

Mine is considerably the lonely sheep in the pasture given the fact that the following things are AGAINST me with the muscle car owners that are judging between my car and others I am constantly competing against:
1. Later model, the muscle car owners don't acknowledge it as fit to carry the same name badge.
2. It's a 4-door sedan, this northern regional Chevelle show only had 1 other 4-door Sedan, even the older station wagon's held a higher status.
3. It's a small block car, the only thing worse would be if it had one of the three V-6's Chevrolet desecrated the Chevelle and Malibu names with.
4. It's Yellow, the name "Iraqi Taxi" has been heard quite frequently.

I have been working hard on swapping out some of the stock parts to factory performance parts that were available on this particular model back in 1981, and some that were contracted out to third party shops that did modifications to this model Chevrolet back in 1980 and 1981.
I have an original air-dam for the 1980 Malibu M80 package, the M80 was a contracted package that certain cars were set aside after specific ordering guidelines, and those cars were then shipped from dealers wishing to participate in the sales of this model would arrange for shipping to Choo-Choo Customs in Tennessee for the stripes to be painted on, the air-dam to be installed, and the spoiler to be fitted, everything else was factory optioned through the ordering process at the original dealer.
The M80 primarily consisted of :
1. 1980 Malibu coupe.
2. Usually ordered in White exterior and Dark Blue interior (not mandatory)
3. Optional factory rally wheels, V-8 engine, and either standard OR auto transmission.

I even defend my calling it an "SS" by the fact that my copy of Alan Merril Chevrolet's original window sticker stating what was on the car when sold originally gives mention of the model being a Sport and the car being a Sedan, as long as I don't claim Super Sport- I am technically correct.

#8 ·
Referring to #1 in your post on how most Chevelle owners look down on em,yeah it is true.But my little Bu has handed a few "Real Chevelle" owners their **** on a platter.I like the older Chevelles,but it is getting tiring seeing every one eiter blue,red,or black with racing stripes. It seems they all do the same identical thing to their cars. I am not a big 4 door fan,but I dig that ride you got.

Oh yeah,that Iraqi Taxi comment is kinda funny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.